Cabin Heat while DC Fast Charging

Keith

Verified Owner
Cars
Ioniq 5, Air Touring
Over Thanksgiving last month we drove our Air Pure from NH to FL. Charging added about 4 hours to the trip, and thankfully the EA chargers worked and we really never waited in line.

One bothersome issue we had however was Cabin Heat while DC Fast Charging. I only noticed this the one time. While at Walmart somewhere in GA late at night it was very chilly and we put on the heat; the heated seats were working. Set to the maximum value, we never got any warm air from the vents. After disconnecting and driving off, we did have heat.

I spoke to the Mobile Tech (who was here for the Easy Entry Seat Homing) about this. He said he hadn't heard of this before and we discussed the "heat loop" and heater core radiator (which I didn't think the Air had) .. and he speculated that it could be an energy conservation thing while charging. I really didn't buy that .. and he said he'd check with the other techs.

Q: Has anyone experienced no Cabin Heat while DC Fast Charging?

Thanks /keith

Over Thanksgiving last month we drove our Air Pure from NH to FL. Charging added about 4 hours to the trip, and thankfully the EA chargers worked and we really never waited in line.

One bothersome issue we had however was Cabin Heat while DC Fast Charging. I only noticed this the one time. While at Walmart somewhere in GA late at night it was very chilly and we put on the heat; the heated seats were working. Set to the maximum value, we never got any warm air from the vents. After disconnecting and driving off, we did have heat.

I spoke to the Mobile Tech (who was here for the Easy Entry Seat Homing) about this. He said he hadn't heard of this before and we discussed the "heat loop" and heater core radiator (which I didn't think the Air had) .. and he speculated that it could be an energy conservation thing while charging. I really didn't buy that .. and he said he'd check with the other techs.

Thanks /keith
I would email this question to customer care and see what they say. It could be that the battery was demanding cooling since it was fast charging and cabin was demanding heat since it was cold out and the car did not know what to do.

Thanks /keith
I have noticed the car can only do one or the other. Either you do something with cabin conditions, or you let the battery do it's thing.

Anyone can explicitly test this by turning off cabin conditioning (eg. A/C). After a minute or so, you still start to hear the compressor wind up for the battery during charging. If you then turn the A/C back on, the compressor will unwind before winding back up with air starting to flow.

Thanks /keith
I have observed the same behavior while charging on a cold evening. I had cabin space heating up until the time battery cooling must have been required. It was at that point I could hear the radiator cooling fans turn on.

Can confirm cabin heat doesn't really go up much. I turned off all heating to try and save power on a recent trip.

I had lost about 45 miles on the predicted arrival amount. I increased speed from 70- (76-84) It was going to be close. I figure I'll make myself toasty while I charge.

I was in fact not toasty, but remained slushy until I finished charging.

Thanks /keith
I'm making my retreat south from DE to FL in a few weeks. I'm curious as to where you charged at EA in VA and/or GA. Thanks.

I'm making my retreat south from DE to FL in a few weeks. I'm curious as to where you charged at EA in VA and/or GA. Thanks.
Whoops - my bad from initial post .. it was South Carolina where I experienced the no-heat thing, not Georgia.
The charging was free, I just multiplied out the kw by .48

1702378039675.png

Did all the locations seem safe while charging?
I would say so - though I try and stay aware of my surroundings. Stamford was in a mall parking garage, lower level on Thanksgiving morning with only one or two other cars around; they also have Tesla charging. Walmart SC was a night, about 9pm or so, and still many people shopping for Black Friday sales. I be sure to lock the doors when I'm sitting inside charging. Sheetz in NC is a gas station / convenience stop which is how I wish they all were. The self-service nature of EV charging can be kind of isolated

I would say so - though I try and stay aware of my surroundings. Stamford was in a mall parking garage, lower level on Thanksgiving morning with only one or two other cars around; they also have Tesla charging. Walmart SC was a night, about 9pm or so, and still many people shopping for Black Friday sales. I be sure to lock the doors when I'm sitting inside charging. Sheetz in NC is a gas station / convenience stop which is how I wish they all were. The self-service nature of EV charging can be kind of isolated
Yes. I have been at some chargers my wife would definitely not want to visit on her own. Especially at night. At least gas stations tend to have actual human operators. And even those are still creepy as hell.

Thanks /keith
Yes. I got the same experience. Cabin heater becomes ineffective when DC Fast Charging. Disconnecting it would restore its full functionality.

Sounds like cabin heater is shared with charging battery.

My area is not that cold and seldom snow (like once in decades).

Thanks /keith
We observed the exact same behavior in our Air Touring. As far as i remember during summer while DC Charging Air Conditioning worked fine to cool.

I emailed Customer Service … and now we know

IMG_5688.jpeg

View attachment 17006
I think this implies that the cabin heat and cooling system are driven from the 10kW medium power inverter that was shown in the tech video. If battery cooling is running at maximum power, there is not enough power left to run the cabin heat. I understand the importance of protecting the battery but in this circumstance I would prefer slowing the charge rate to reduce cooling demand so that cabin heat could remain on.

That explains sharing effects of cooling of cabin and battery during summer Air Conditioner.

It doesn't confirm the same for heating effects during winter heater. But I guess it's an assumption that should be same in winter heater.

I think this implies that the cabin heat and cooling system are driven from the 10kW medium power inverter that was shown in the tech video. If battery cooling is running at maximum power, there is not enough power left to run the cabin heat. I understand the importance of protecting the battery but in this circumstance I would prefer slowing the charge rate to reduce cooling demand so that cabin heat could remain on.
I totally agree. I think better approach would be limited cooling/heating vs nothing at all. It can become really warm/cold when waiting at the fast charger for 30 minutes or more. I am guessing once Lucid switches to heat pump this issue will eventually go away.

The Tesla OctaValve allows for both cooling the battery and heating the cabin simultaneously, although it is also incorporated with the heat pump. In any case , It manages 12 heating modes and 3 cooling modes for the cabin in addition to the electrical components. Maybe Lucid will use something similar in the Gravity.

The Tesla OctaValve allows for both cooling the battery and heating the cabin simultaneously, although it is also incorporated with the heat pump. In any case , It manages 12 heating modes and 3 cooling modes for the cabin in addition to the electrical components. Maybe Lucid will use something similar in the Gravity.
Yeah that tesla heat pump is a WORK OF ART. I wonder if our sapphire owners know anything about the lucid heat pump?

I didn't realize that we don't have a heat pump in the Air for situations like this. When I heard it mentioned as being offered in the future at the Gravity launch I was already envious of future owners due to living in a cold climate.

Back