Best practices for 45 Days with no use

groundhog

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Grand Touring
I have to leave my Lucid in my garage in Palm Springs while I return to Chicago.
Two questions and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
First, should I keep the car plugged in. It will be at 80% SOC?
Second, do I need someone to drive it periodically so the weight of the car does not cause a problem.
Thanks…..

Solution
That is a good question. Will the car sitting on its tires for six months cause flat spots in the tires?

Here is a Continental tires web page on flat spotting:

At a minimum, I would overinflate the tires and if you have axle mounts, raising the car a few inches so the weight of the car isn't sitting on the tires would be great.
Thanks Steveinarizona for the tire information. I will follow those guidelines.
I have to leave my Lucid in my garage in Palm Springs while I return to Chicago.
Second, do I need someone to drive it periodically so the weight of the car does not cause a problem.
Thanks…..
I’m not sure about the tires with leaving it. But I would definitely recommend keeping it plugged in. And setting the charge limit to 80. Or even a bit less. 70 or 60.

Thanks…..
Based on multiple two week trips leavingmy car, I lose about 0.25% per day when the car is not waking up. Others have reported similar numbers. Hence, your total drain for 45 days would be 12% to 15%. There is also no reason not to leave it plugged in. You could charge to 80% leave it plugged in with the charge limit set to 65% so it would not come on unless something changed with your cars drain.

@hmp10 s tires flatspotted after sitting so long, and precautions are always good. I doubt it would matter much to take the tires off and leave it on a jack, but it is always better safe than sorry.

I would keep it plugged in with a charge limit set. No matter what you do, do not check on your car via the app too much: that wakes it and contributes to far heavier drain.

That is a good question. Will the car sitting on its tires for six months cause flat spots in the tires?

At a minimum, I would overinflate the tires and if you have axle mounts, raising the car a few inches so the weight of the car isn't sitting on the tires would be great.

@hmp10 s tires flatspotted after sitting so long, and precautions are always good. I doubt it would matter much to take the tires off and leave it on a jack, but it is always better safe than sorry.

I would keep it plugged in with a charge limit set. No matter what you do, do not check on your car via the app too much: that wakes it and contributes to far heavier drain.
Thanks for your reply. The answer I need is to determine how often I would need to move the car. Would I be safe at every two weeks or more often?

Based on multiple two week trips leavingmy car, I lose about 0.25% per day when the car is not waking up. Others have reported similar numbers. Hence, your total drain for 45 days would be 12% to 15%. There is also no reason not to leave it plugged in. You could charge to 80% leave it plugged in with the charge limit set to 65% so it would not come on unless something changed with your cars drain.
Yes. The way I look at it, if you plug it in, you have options. If you don’t, you’re stuck with whatever happens.

45 days is not 6 months though...

Thanks Steveinarizona for the tire information. I will follow those guidelines.

Solution
Back