Daily Home Charging Best Practice

Something new I learned is electrical company (NYSEG in Upstate NY) will swap out existing meter with a Day/Night meter which will result in a lower kwh rate for both day and night.

In CA, many have access to time-of-use rates. But this results in a high on-peak rate with a low off-peak rate. The non-time-of-use rate is in the middle.

I am planning to go on a long road trip this weekend and was wondering if it is better to full charge (100%) the day before the trip or the day of the trip. Any thoughts or does it not make a difference?
Thanks!

I am planning to go on a long road trip this weekend and was wondering if it is better to full charge (100%) the day before the trip or the day of the trip. Any thoughts or does it not make a difference?
Thanks!
Day off, right before you leave. Don't let the car sit at 100% for too long.

(OP)

Thank you all for the active discussion on this topic and especially for the data and related technical information.

Since posting, I spoke to my Delivery Advisor about charging and battery longevity. He said "it really doesn't matter much as long as you follow 80-20 for daily use." While that was an imprecise answer, I think looking at the data on the graph that is not a bad conclusion. Other factors such as ambient temperature will probably do more to help or hurt battery life than charging regimen alone which impacts a couple percent over more than a decade of use.

Lucid wants to hide the vampire drain problem so their recommendation for daily charging helps that issue, noting to do with battery life. I am losing 1% SoC every 24 hours.

I'm charging about 2x per week, limit of 75, coming from about 35.

Cheers.

I was an early adopter of plasma tv. I bought a 42" 480p for ~ $5000. One of the items of concern was "burn-in" ... the white lines of Atari Pong would etch themselves into the screen and remain there forever (as an example). Never happened. Screen was supposed to get dimmer or milky over time. Never happened.

not worried that I will outlive my Lucid battery.

the big question will always be: where should I drive today ?

Lucid wants to hide the vampire drain problem so their recommendation for daily charging helps that issue, noting to do with battery life. I am losing 1% SoC every 24 hours.
Daily charging is the standard recommendation for most manufacturer's EVs.

To reduce drain while not driving the car, make sure any keys are located away from the car (phone and fobs), or keep the fobs in a faraday pouch or box.

Factoid: for my car, when BMS is on, hot air blows toward the front tire, passenger’s side, while a cold draft is felt on the driver’s side. In my garage, a temp differential up to 10 F between the 2 front tires is observed with a laser temp gun.

You'll hear lots of conflicting advice on this matter. And lots of points of view from folks with more electrical knowhow, etc.

The best advice I can give is to not stress about it. Keep it between 20 and 80% most of the time. Top up to 100% when you really need to only. Then stop worrying.

It's actually pretty hard to damage one of these batteries, unless you are actively trying to damage it.
Love this philosophy. Should we crowdsource T-shirts with a fake movie poster: Dr. Strangejoec, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Charge

Love this philosophy. Should we crowdsource T-shirts with a fake movie poster: Dr. Strangejoec, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Charge
You'll hear lots of conflicting advice on this matter. And lots of points of view from folks with more electrical knowhow, etc.

The best advice I can give is to not stress about it. Keep it between 20 and 80% most of the time. Top up to 100% when you really need to only. Then stop worrying.

It's actually pretty hard to damage one of these batteries, unless you are actively trying to damage it.
This is great advice. At home I have max at 80% and plug in when I am below 50%. For some road trips I go to 100%, I also sometimes leave the house at 80% if I’m going to use DC fast charger and 100 has little value. I don’t anticipate owning this car for more than 3-4 years, so I don’t stress about it. On the road DC charging, I charge to 80-90% as the last 10% just not worth the time. Nothing to do with battery life.

Great data here in the chart from GMan. Before getting my Lucid Touring I had a Tesla Model S for almost 10 years. I too charged it every night and almost never above 75%. My wife has it now. I'm curious to see how long it will go.
Okay Deane, that's even better. I was happy with the 19 years in my incorrect calculation above. But now with your correct information it is far greater than 19 years. So I will just continue to charge when my SOC gets down around 25% and charge up to 85% and not even begin to worry about battery degradation. I probably won't even charge once a week unless I'm doing a longer trip. I did read on another manufacturer's forum that their manual states it is good practice to charge up to 100% once a month or so as long as you don't let the car sit at that 100%. Also, apparently that manufacturer has a built in 5% buffer reserve so when you charge to 100% you are actually only charging to 95%. Not sure what buffer/reserve my Lucid has if any?? Also, not sure it really does make sense to charge to 100% once a month??
There is calendar life degradation also. Typically 1.5% or so per year, depending on Chemistry. Does anyone know if Lucid uses NMC or LFP? And who's cell? My guess is NMC given the rapid acceleration needing a high C rate battery. It is true that battery companies have their own engineering magins applied, so 100% is not really 100%. But the buffers vary significantly by manufacturer. I think the once a month charge to 100% is to reset calibration as there is drift on calculation of SOC. It also helps with cell balancing (ensuring each individual cell and module are at equivalent SOCs).

There is calendar life degradation also. Typically 1.5% or so per year, depending on Chemistry. Does anyone know if Lucid uses NMC or LFP? And who's cell? My guess is NMC given the rapid acceleration needing a high C rate battery. It is true that battery companies have their own engineering magins applied, so 100% is not really 100%. But the buffers vary significantly by manufacturer. I think the once a month charge to 100% is to reset calibration as there is drift on calculation of SOC. It also helps with cell balancing (ensuring each individual cell and module are at equivalent SOCs).
Lucid is using NMC from LG and Samsung.

While not related to this question as an owner, I have had loaners from Lucid and they charge them to 100%.... I asked service advisor about battery life on these loaners and was told it is not a concern unless you are keeping your car for several years... Hmmm, I guess its a consideration to keep in mind if they start selling off the loaner Lucids.

Back