Battery Range

It keeps coming back in my mind to a bad memory chip(s) supply shortage isn't helping since we won't know if this is the original chip chosen and it's not available and they are using an interior chip.

Really, one year and then it's on me? Can I change to T-Mobile?

I was originally told they use 5G in addition to LTE, and I even saw a 5G symbol in some old picture, but maybe they backed out of that.

When I was on the phone with Customer Care sitting under that cell phone tower, the service advisor asked me if I knew whether that tower had AT&T transmitters, as she said that is the carrier Lucid uses. (The tower either does, or there is a strong AT&T signal coming from another nearby tower, as friends with AT&T service get strong signals there. And my cell signals drop randomly all over the 50-mile radius I've driven the car around Naples and Ft. Myers, and I know the whole area is not without AT&T signals.)

When I was on the phone with Customer Care sitting under that cell phone tower, the service advisor asked me if I knew whether that tower had AT&T transmitters, as she said that is the carrier Lucid uses. (The tower either does, or there is a strong AT&T signal coming from another nearby tower, as friends with AT&T service get strong signals there. And my cell signals drop randomly all over the 50-mile radius I've driven the car around Naples and Ft. Myers, and I know the whole area is not without AT&T signals.)

Sounds like the cell radio that they chose isn't the best or antenna location is bad.

Lucid uses AT&T as the carrier for its LTE.
Well it won’t work for OTA updates at my house then. Hope WiFi can be used.

Well it won’t work for OTA updates at my house then. Hope WiFi can be used.

The Service Center called me today to say that the parts for my car (new Pilot Screen, new computer, new computer cooling system) should arrive by January 20, at which time they'll transport my car in for repairs. They said they intend to keep it long enough to be sure all the problems are resolved, which is what I want. As I was updating the service manager on the issues I'm having, I mentioned what the Customer Care person told me about AT&T. He said that his understanding was that the cars use Verizon as the carrier, and he surmised that different cars might use different carriers. (T-Mobile 5G and Verizon are the two strongest of the weak signals I get at my house.)

End of the day, who knows?

The Service Center called me today to say that the parts for my car (new Pilot Screen, new computer, new computer cooling system) should arrive by January 20, at which time they'll transport my car in for repairs. They said they intend to keep it long enough to be sure all the problems are resolved, which is what I want. As I was updating the service manager on the issues I'm having, I mentioned what the Customer Care person told me about AT&T. He said that his understanding was that the cars use Verizon as the carrier, and he surmised that different cars might use different carriers. (T-Mobile 5G and Verizon are the two strongest of the weak signals I get at my house.)

End of the day, who knows?
Did you ask them about a loaner?

If it's anything like Costa Mesa, it would be a Lucid vehicle with Dream Drive enabled...maybe you should reconsider their offer =)

Have they alluded to how this cars computer architecture is made, like a PC with DDR4 memory and an SSD, like a cell phone or tablet or the best choice a FPGA?

Last edited:
Field Programmable Gate Arrays have been around for a long time. While they can be fast at some tasks, they are both area and power inefficient compared to other solutions. Both traits are undesirable in an EV.

Would one become more efficient running at a higher voltage? In that thread the car is taking over 1 minute to boot up. I'm not an engineer but that doesn't sound like software but hardware choices.

Would one become more efficient running at a higher voltage? In that thread the car is taking over 1 minute to boot up. I'm not an engineer but that doesn't sound like software but hardware choices.
Higher voltage in a logic application would only increase power consumption without increasing speed. I agree that the boot times are not reasonable. I am not sure if it hardware or software. I hope it is software since we may be stuck with the hardware.

Higher voltage in a logic application would only increase power consumption without increasing speed. I agree that the boot times are not reasonable. I am not sure if it hardware or software. I hope it is software since we may be stuck with the hardware.

Well, that's why I had asked the question in the thread about which type of computer design they went with. Soldered chips or slotted/modular. So if it isn't software they component that is causing the delay can be switched out. My PC boots faster than my phone due to the choice in components.

The boot up is supposed to be much faster in newer software versions that are being tested internally. At least, that's the word from the service guys...

Well, that's why I had asked the question in the thread about which type of computer design they went with. Soldered chips or slotted/modular. So if it isn't software they component that is causing the delay can be switched out. My PC boots faster than my phone due to the choice in components.

We don't have enough information to determine the causes of the slow initialization. None of the things you mentioned fundamentally underlie this. My spitball guesses would be a poorly optimized software boot sequence (i.e. starting each service sequentially rather than concurrently) or that the peripheral hardware components just take a long time to initialize - both things that have historically caused slow Linux boots on other platforms. The car could also be hibernating the system state to/from nonvolatile memory which can take a while.

Though with a fully powered up car, as Bill55 reports, it still takes far too long for the seats to even start moving to the correct memory positions for a driver change. That's bizarre.

We don't have enough information to determine the causes of the slow initialization. None of the things you mentioned fundamentally underlie this. My spitball guesses would be a poorly optimized software boot sequence (i.e. starting each service sequentially rather than concurrently) or that the peripheral hardware components just take a long time to initialize - both things that have historically caused slow Linux boots on other platforms. The car could also be hibernating the system state to/from nonvolatile memory which can take a while.

Though with a fully powered up car, as Bill55 reports, it still takes far too long for the seats to even start moving to the correct memory positions for a driver change. That's bizarre.

I understand

This is not an excuse, just the way the car is setup right now. But with older cars, the personal settings are tied to a profile which is activated based off the key you are using. So it's easy to have things adjust once you unlock the car. With Lucid, especially if you are relying on facial recognition to establish the profile, it won't adjust anything until your facial profile is recognized and that profile is then loaded. Hence why the seats won't move until facial rec loads your specific profile. I haven't tested it the other way with facial rec off so I can't comment on whether it would be faster or slower using that method of profile adjustment.

Back