Backup Camera/Surround Camera - What can it do?

LucidDropkick

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT - Range
Hey all,

First time poster, looking to get a GT Range, going for a test drive in a week, and I had a question!

I was watching the ADAS video that Lucid just put up on their YT channel, and specifically around here:
and I noticed during the auto-park, it shows those golden lines (which presumably are indicating distance to obstruction like they do on a Tesla).

Greenshot 2022-04-25 16.09.35.png

It got me wondering about the backup camera and the surround camera; do also you get that level of information when parking/backing into a spot with either of those? Or are the cameras purely visual? I haven't seen a great example of them being used yet, so I am not even sure they even show you projected path (like as you turn the wheel, will it show you where the car is going?)

I was sitting in a friend's Model 3 and I was very impressed by how it senses when you're parking (whether head in or backing into a spot) and shows you this Sonarr-like view of how close the car is to anything around it. (Example below is from a YT video)

Greenshot 2022-04-25 16.13.21.png

This will be the single-most expensive purchase I've ever made, relatively young here, so I'd just like to find out as much as I can about any system that will prevent me from putting a ding on my shiny new Air :)

Thank you in advance!

Hey all,

First time poster, looking to get a GT Range, going for a test drive in a week, and I had a question!

I was watching the ADAS video that Lucid just put up on their YT channel, and specifically around here:
and I noticed during the auto-park, it shows those golden lines (which presumably are indicating distance to obstruction like they do on a Tesla).

View attachment 1768

It got me wondering about the backup camera and the surround camera; do also you get that level of information when parking/backing into a spot with either of those? Or are the cameras purely visual? I haven't seen a great example of them being used yet, so I am not even sure they even show you projected path (like as you turn the wheel, will it show you where the car is going?)

I was sitting in a friend's Model 3 and I was very impressed by how it senses when you're parking (whether head in or backing into a spot) and shows you this Sonarr-like view of how close the car is to anything around it.

This will be the single-most expensive purchase I've ever made, relatively young here, so I'd just like to find out as much as I can about any system that will prevent me from putting a ding on my shiny new Air :)

Thank you in advance!
Yes,

We have 360 view. So the bottom screen shows an overhead view and the top screen shows either your front or rear camera.

The screen shows distance in inches once you get around 60ish inches in both front and back.

The inches are incredibly useful if you have a tight garage. It would probably take me 2x as long to get into my garage if I did not have the camera the way it functions.

Hey all,

View attachment 1768

I was sitting in a friend's Model 3 and I was very impressed by how it senses when you're parking (whether head in or backing into a spot) and shows you this Sonarr-like view of how close the car is to anything around it. (Example below is from a YT video)

View attachment 1769

Thank you in advance!
20211214_133216.jpg

Yes,

We have 360 view. So the bottom screen shows an overhead view and the top screen shows either your front or rear camera.

The screen shows distance in inches once you get around 60ish inches in both front and back.

The inches are incredibly useful if you have a tight garage. It would probably take me 2x as long to get into my garage if I did not have the camera the way it functions.

Wonderful! Thank you both so much. Very pleased to see this.

Also, just as a follow-up for the benefit of anyone else who had my question, looking at the Owner's Manual, I see this:

Greenshot 2022-04-25 16.55.21.png

Very cool stuff!

Sorry to disappoint. I find the Lucid park distance/cameras to be the worst of any car I’ve owned over the last 10 years. It’s not about what you can see while sitting still, it’s about the behavior while actually trying to park or back out.

Only had the car a couple weeks, but I have found them to work fine if not great-- once they finally boot up (an often discussed issue around here). Functionally, they are at least as good as my previous Teslas. My only complaint would be the warning tone is way too sensitive and goes off when there is still reasonable distance to an object.

Sorry to disappoint. I find the Lucid park distance/cameras to be the worst of any car I’ve owned over the last 10 years. It’s not about what you can see while sitting still, it’s about the behavior while actually trying to park or back out.

You’ve said this a few times and I couldn’t disagree more. They’re the best I’ve ever used. Consistent, correct measurements, super responsive, and turn on automatically when obstructions are present.

I’m not sure what you hate about it, but I’m curious.

But wait there’s more, if you click on each individual camera icon you can get a close up view up the object you’re trying to focus on, those camera icons aren’t just there for you to know where the cameras are, you can focus on each one individually. Super helpful for making sure the front aero plate doesn’t touch that curb. The ONLY criticism I have of this camera is it’s just wee bit laggy. Also auto park works for me if it’s not parallel parking, but so far it’s tried to turn parallel parking spots into side-by-side parking so I gave up on that.

Can you elucidate? Thanks.

Yeah! I’ve had the proximity sensors pop up the camera when someone else was backing out when I thought I was ok to go. Their camera and features is the best I’ve experienced. I haven’t driven a Tesla so maybe their camera system is better but I think Lucid’s is awesome in terms of visualizing hazards and where you’re going.

Why?
It’s better for me than any car I’ve had in quite some time.

Here is an in-action picture at the Starbucks drive thru. Automatically came on as I got close to the car in front of me.

View attachment 1795
Wow...this is great! I love the automatic turn-on. I don't care what it interrupts (nav/music/whatever), I really appreciate that the car immediately is notifying me of potential danger.

Thanks!

You’ve said this a few times and I couldn’t disagree more. They’re the best I’ve ever used. Consistent, correct measurements, super responsive, and turn on automatically when obstructions are present.

I’m not sure what you hate about it, but I’m curious.
1. Boot time
2. The video lags real time to a point it is nauseating to watch and video is inaccurate to cars actual position.
3. The distance represented is purposely inaccurate. Us stupid humans apparently need a 6-12" buffer so whatever information is displayed is always wrong.
4. If you creep closer than 12" displayed, 18-24" actual distance, red fog covers everything, you get full tone, and "STOP".
5. The graphics are inconsistent and jumpy
6. The car representation is not accurate to the real world.
7. The graphic representation of the car and the "drive line" cover the obstacles you are trying to avoid.
8. System goes full tone in almost every parking situation.
9. Red fog covers the obstacles you are trying to avoid.
10. The system is awful at differentiating between objects you are close to and going parallel to vs objects you are actually getting closer too.

image 1 location car is shown to be, image 2 actual location top view
image 3 "STOP" red fog covering everything, Actual distance 12" this is after creeping forward when system indicated 12", image 4 distance from wall
image 5 red fog and full tone at 12" actual 18"+

Attachments

• Image 1.jpeg
    Image 1.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 215
  • image 2.jpeg
    image 2.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 186
  • image 3.jpeg
    image 3.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 215
  • image 4.jpeg
    image 4.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 189
  • image 5.jpeg
    image 5.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 174
For the first month of ownership I unknowingly had the distance warnings (color and tone) turned off. I turned them on last week and now I can say they are excellent! As you approach something it shows up with a yellow shading at the location on the pilot panel and the upper screen. As you get closer it turns darker yellow and then red with the beeping increasing. Once you are within about 3 feet it starts showing the distance in inches in addition to the coloring and beeping. Very accurate for me.

Perhaps once I complete my move to Greenville I will set up an event to have people try and park a few cars with blanket over the windows using only cameras and park distance. I'll get the Lucid, a BMW, and a maybe a GM product. We can use cardboard so no vehicles will be harmed. See how well people can do accuracy and time.

Perhaps once I complete my move to Greenville I will set up an event to have people try and park a few cars with blanket over the windows using only cameras and park distance. I'll get the Lucid, a BMW, and a maybe a GM product. We can use cardboard so no vehicles will be harmed. See how well people can do accuracy and time.
That would actually be really cool.

For the first month of ownership I unknowingly had the distance warnings (color and tone) turned off. I turned them on last week and now I can say they are excellent! As you approach something it shows up with a yellow shading at the location on the pilot panel and the upper screen. As you get closer it turns darker yellow and then red with the beeping increasing. Once you are within about 3 feet it starts showing the distance in inches in addition to the coloring and beeping. Very accurate for me.
I think I may have these turned off.. where do you look to turn them on as I keep waiting for the system to alert me of proximity and have gotten nothing.

1. Boot time
2. The video lags real time to a point it is nauseating to watch and video is inaccurate to cars actual position.
3. The distance represented is purposely inaccurate. Us stupid humans apparently need a 6-12" buffer so whatever information is displayed is always wrong.
4. If you creep closer than 12" displayed, 18-24" actual distance, red fog covers everything, you get full tone, and "STOP".
5. The graphics are inconsistent and jumpy
6. The car representation is not accurate to the real world.
7. The graphic representation of the car and the "drive line" cover the obstacles you are trying to avoid.
8. System goes full tone in almost every parking situation.
9. Red fog covers the obstacles you are trying to avoid.
10. The system is awful at differentiating between objects you are close to and going parallel to vs objects you are actually getting closer too.

image 1 location car is shown to be, image 2 actual location top view
image 3 "STOP" red fog covering everything, Actual distance 12" this is after creeping forward when system indicated 12", image 4 distance from wall
image 5 red fog and full tone at 12" actual 18"+
Hmmm those last two pics show that the Lucid says 12 in and your ruler says 12in?
I do agree for the parallel surfaces it alarms too much saying “stop” when you have room, annoying because I have a very tight garage. BUT I’d much rather it err in the side of caution. Don’t newer Mercedes have a similar overhead cam view? I’d be curious how that compares. Does it even give a distance or can you choose and zoom in on individual camera angles? I know it does have the right color car haha.

Back