2023 Lucid Air Pure - Purchase Without 360 View Camera?

asiano

I am close to buying a 2023 Lucid Air Pure. The current deals seem amazing plus you get AWD. However, the 2023's only have DreamDrive available. Actually, so many of the available 2024 models in my area just include DreamDrive. DreamDrive lists the following capabilities:
  • Park Distance Warning
  • Automatic Park In & Out (Parallel & Perpendicular)
Do these features help mitigate not having the 360 view? For example, what kind of support/warnings does Park Distance Warning provide when you're pulling into a parking spot with a concrete parking block or if you have a tight fit going into your garage? I can get a 2024 with the 360 view cameras, but many of the incentives are not available and the car ends up costing about $10k more which seems crazy just to get a 360 view camera and bigger wheels.

The 360 view in Dream Drive Premium and Dream Drive Pro is excellent. I use it almost every time that I park. It really makes parking easy. I recommend finding a car with it or ordering what you want. Since I have DDPro, I cannot comment on what the warning is like without the 360 view.

I have the Pure AWD without DDP-Premium/Pro. While parking, what you get is a loud beep and a measure in inches of the distance from the obstacle either in front or rear. Its definitely less dramatic than the DDP Premium/Pro but its fine as you after you use to the size of the car and turning radius.

I also use the 360 cams pretty much every time I park. Greatly eases maneuvering in tight parking lots.

The Air is the first car I've owned with a 360-degree camera view, and I will never own another car without it. I have become so dependent on it when parking that I now find it both unnerving and a bit aggravating to park our Tesla or our Honda Odyssey.

In order to fend off door dings, I prefer to park at the end of a row if possible, and those spots are often sided by concrete curbs. The birds-eye view enables me to hug that curb without risk to wheel rims as I try to maximize distance to a car on the other side.

I also find it very useful In stopping well short of the concrete stops at the head of pull-in parking spaces, a necessity to avoid tearing off the rubber airfoils ahead of the front wheels. The distance-to-obstacle measure from the front sensors doesn't help with those concrete stops.

The visibility from this car is fraught. All of the cameras and radars and lidars are kinda necessary.

One should be particularly careful at an intersection where you are on an uphill ... the A pillars block a huge expanse of roadway in that situation.

Learn the head bob. Practice it getting in and out of the car, then use it while you drive.

In order to fend off door dings, I prefer to park at the end of a row if possible, and those spots are often sided by concrete curbs. The birds-eye view enables me to hug that curb without risk to wheel rims as I try to maximize distance to a car on the other side.

I also find it very useful In stopping well short of the concrete stops at the head of pull-in parking spaces, a necessity to avoid tearing off the rubber airfoils ahead of the front wheels. The distance-to-obstacle measure from the front sensors doesn't help with those concrete stops.

Yes. I learned early that backing out when parked right next to the curb that if you crank the wheel you will curb your wheel. Did it the first time I parked near a curb. I know better... I have to blame me as I do not yet know where the wheels are from inside the car.

360 camera : yeah pays for itself.

I am close to buying a 2023 Lucid Air Pure. The current deals seem amazing plus you get AWD. However, the 2023's only have DreamDrive available. Actually, so many of the available 2024 models in my area just include DreamDrive. DreamDrive lists the following capabilities:
  • Park Distance Warning
Do these features help mitigate not having the 360 view? For example, what kind of support/warnings does Park Distance Warning provide when you're pulling into a parking spot with a concrete parking block or if you have a tight fit going into your garage? I can get a 2024 with the 360 view cameras, but many of the incentives are not available and the car ends up costing about $10k more which seems crazy just to get a 360 view camera and bigger wheels.
A 360-degree view is a must for me. Before this, I could hit the cement block in front under the bumper. With this, I can see how crooked I park, and I can adjust accordingly.

I also don’t have DDP on my Touring. But I’ve also owned a few Porsche GT cars without any cameras or visibility…so I would say if you have experience driving big cars without cameras you’ll be fine. If you’re gen Z and have only ever driven cars with a thousand cameras, probably go for the 360 view 😝

If you have a vehicle with bird’s eye view, cross traffic detection, and blind spot monitoring, you’ll probably never want to drive without them again. I didn’t get DDP with all the cameras and regret it, but it isn’t a deal breaker, as the distance warning sensors do help in this regard, and mine has in fact detected concrete parking blocks. But when parking in tight spaces, my head is literally sticking out the window making double sure to avoid obstacles.

I also don’t have DDP on my Touring. But I’ve also owned a few Porsche GT cars without any cameras or visibility…so I would say if you have experience driving big cars without cameras you’ll be fine. If you’re gen Z and have only ever driven cars with a thousand cameras, probably go for the 360 view 😝

..I don't need no stinkin ' cameras . .
1710071964609.jpeg

I couldn't park in my own garage without my 360 camera view (it's that tight a spot). I use my 360 view CONSTANTLY and no way I'd survive without it. Ironic enough my original intent is to get a base RWD without any of the cameras. In the end I'm so glad I got them along with AWD for my Pure.

My previous Audi had 360 camera, but my Pure does not. While I greatly appreciate the view of the 360 cams, I never relied on it anyways, so it wasnt a deal breaker to get the Pure without 360 cameras. However, the couple of times I have had an Air loaner with the 360 camera, I do really enjoy the blind spot cameras!

Not all 360 cams are created equal. The wife’s Volvo has a 360 camera. It sucks in comparison to the Lucid. I’ve curbed the rims twice in a tight spot as you really cannot tell where the curb is. It also doesn’t auto-switch between front and reverse views like the Lucid does, you have to manually choose every view and the buttons are very small. I tried the one in the Kia EV6 also, again the Lucid’s was better by every measure, as are the turn signal cameras, although the Kia and Hyundai ones are useful at least, unlike the stupid Tesla center screen problem where you have to look right to see what’s on your left.

Not all 360 cams are created equal. The wife’s Volvo has a 360 camera. It sucks in comparison to the Lucid. I’ve curbed the rims twice in a tight spot as you really cannot tell where the curb is. It also doesn’t auto-switch between front and reverse views like the Lucid does, you have to manually choose every view and the buttons are very small. I tried the one in the Kia EV6 also, again the Lucid’s was better by every measure, as are the turn signal cameras, although the Kia and Hyundai ones are useful at least, unlike the stupid Tesla center screen problem where you have to look right to see what’s on your left.
The Volvo’s cameras sound a lot like my BMW i4. It’s got a 360 view, but the resolution and size aren’t as impressive as the Lucid. Likewise, although the rear camera comes on automatically, the front must be manually activated.

I had 360 cam on my Audi. I don't have it on my air pure. I miss the massage seats way more.

• Park Distance Warning
It displays distance in inches in front of the car and also aural cues. Tells you to STOP. Works well.

Back