Are we getting our cars

Mac

Cars
Air Touring
I hope everyone read the announcement that Lucid is cutting production this year. It is now time for them to start to communicate with us who have reservations about our status! Surely they can identify where our reservation is given their production schedule.

Again with this?
Does any other manufacturer show your reservation position in the new order queue? I think not. This is not like flying standby or waiting for your number at the pharmacist. Unfortunately, the production process is not strictly a FIFO flow.

Does any other manufacturer show your reservation position in the new order queue? I think not. This is not like flying standby or waiting for your number at the pharmacist. Unfortunately, the production process is not strictly a FIFO flow.
Oh I’m in full agreement, every post from this guy is “they don’t communicate, they aren’t transparent.” If you aren’t satisfied, cancel and move on.

Well, I do agree that the change in production estimate is material (large) and that Lucid needs to communicate better/more often with their customers. They can and probably should be able to tell their customers at least what quarter they should expect delivery. When I confirmed my order last November 17, I was told to expect delivery in 2-4 months, just like most people. Well that period would mean between Jan 17 and March 17. I have no VIN number, so they are not going to make that timeframe and they have not communicated what my expectation should be now. They are woefully inept when it comes to communication, in my opinion, but I guess it is what it is and I can either cancel and wait for an alternative or I can wait it out. I don't think it will be too much longer, but if we drift into May I might end up just ordering another M5.

Well, same could be said of the Dream Editions which got delayed due to the roof rail issue, the glass issue and now the carpet issue. Projections are just projections and I still don't understand why it seems Lucid is being held to a higher standard than manufacturers who have been established for DECADES and still are having problems?

For comparison.. I just went on the Rivian site and and did a live chat with a Rivian Rep. He looked up my order and said I was still on a May-June timeline.

For comparison.. I just went on the Rivian site and and did a live chat with a Rivian Rep. He looked up my order and said I was still on a May-June timeline.
That’s the same thing as a Lucid DA telling you 2-4 month timeline..

If your reservation has converted to an order i'm sure you can call Lucid and get a timeline also but just don't expect it to be given a set delivery date as no car company i've dealt with does this. My DA advised me back in Jan that he would have nothing new to report to me until early to mid March so I have left him alone and will do so until mid-March if I haven't heard anything. Fo me, that's enough info to leave him alone.

For me, it is more about communication than the actual information itself. I do not mind delays (to a point), but lack of communication is totally under their control. They should initiate communication when something is not going to be what they communicated previously. What is a DA for if not to advise you on delivery? For example, now that they know they are not going to make the 2-4 month window in my case, a simple email stating that they understand this, but anticipate the delivery to be by XX/2022 would be a simple matter. I understand they may not make this date, once again, but at least I know they are aware that they have not lived up to their previous communication. It also lets me know what the magnitude of my wait might be. There are things I have to do to prepare for receiving this car, such as installing 14-50 outlets in my garage(s) and selling my current vehicle.

Heck, I placed my order in January 2021, then came the six month delay ("second half of 2021", which they took to the limit with a car that still really wasn't ready), then came the 2-4 month timeframe (which they will not make), now it is ????????. I am still not cancelling my order because I think I am close, but I really, honestly don't know. My wife asked me the other day, "when are you getting this car, isn't it supposed to be before Spring Break?" My answer was "yes, it was supposed to be, but not sure when it is now".

Last edited:
May just be semantics, but Lucid isn't cutting production. They updated their projections. I believe Lucid could make more if not for the supply chain issues, and other limitations they're facing.

May just be semantics, but Lucid isn't cutting production. They updated their projections. I believe Lucid could make more if not for the supply chain issues, and other limitations they're facing.

I agree. I have seen similar problems with other car companies (in my case BMW) not meeting deadlines, delays in building, elimination of features, shipping problems, trucking problems, etc. It is a tough time to build and sell a car.

For me, it is more about communication than the actual information itself. I do not mind delays (to a point), but lack of communication is totally under their control. They should initiate communication when something is not going to be what they communicated previously. For example, now that they know they are not going to make the 2-4 month window in my case, a simple email stating that they understand this, but anticipate the delivery to be by XX/2022 would be a simple matter. I understand they may not make this date, once again, but at least I know they are aware that they have not lived up to their previous communication. It also lets me know what the magnitude of my wait might be. There are things I have to do to prepare for receiving this car, such as installing 14-50 outlets in my garage(s) and selling my current vehicle.
You don't need to know when the car is arriving to install a 14-50 outlet. You know you're getting an EV and need it so book the electrician and get it installed.

Your points are valid though. If the timeline has slipped a simple update from the DA would be nice but I suspect they've all been told to keep their mouths shut because the moment a delay is announced to any customer it's all over the internet. It's probably Lucid's way of controlling the narrative and maybe now they might be a little more forthcoming with information now the earnings call is out the way. I don't agree with the communication strategy but at the same point in time I can also see why they're not communicating.

I agree. I have seen similar problems with other car companies (in my case BMW) not meeting deadlines, delays in building, elimination of features, shipping problems, trucking problems, etc. It is a tough time to build and sell a car.
It's only going to get worse with the war now. A number of automakers are revising numbers so now is just not a great time to be making or buying a car unfortunately

I actually do not know if I am going to get an EV. They have told me I am supposed to get one, but have not told me when, at least not a "when" that has been reliable. Further failure to communicate anything meaningful or excessively drawn out delays will cause me to rethink this at some point.

Actually I did the same thing for my R1S reservation but the Rivian rep couldn’t give me any timeline at all…

Well, I do agree that the change in production estimate is material (large) and that Lucid needs to communicate better/more often with their customers. They can and probably should be able to tell their customers at least what quarter they should expect delivery. When I confirmed my order last November 17, I was told to expect delivery in 2-4 months, just like most people. Well that period would mean between Jan 17 and March 17. I have no VIN number, so they are not going to make that timeframe and they have not communicated what my expectation should be now. They are woefully inept when it comes to communication, in my opinion, but I guess it is what it is and I can either cancel and wait for an alternative or I can wait it out. I don't think it will be too much longer, but if we drift into May I might end up just ordering another M5.

A friend of mine ordered the Tesla X - his estimated delivery time has changed 5 times (sometimes back to back). Originally, he was supposed to get it last Nov. He just got another update. Aug 2022 now...

It's not Tesla's fault either. The supply chain problem for the car industry will take time to work through ...

It's understandable that car makers (or anything-maker...) can't provide prospective buyers with estimation. If their suppliers can't provide estimates, then they can't do much (at this time). Having no estimate or long-out estimate is probably better than having estimate revised every few weeks or so ...

Last edited:
A friend of mine ordered the Tesla X - his estimated delivery time has changed 5 times (sometimes back to back). Originally, he was supposed to get it last Nov. He just got another update. Aug 2022 now...

It's not Tesla's fault either. The supply chain problem for the car industry will take time to work through ...
That can't be right, everyone on the internet has told me that Lucid is a fraud and that's why they can't meet their production goals.

Good luck with that. Rivian already completely missed the January - February deliveries. There is no indication they are on track at the moment.

Telling you that your May-June delivery is still on track, will make you happy today, and pissed off tomorrow when that changes. With the current supply chain I wouldn't trust any date more than a month out. Let alone for a new startup with their first vehicle launch.

By the way I have a July-August delivery timeline for my Rivian R1S and my guess is I'll be lucky to take delivery this year.

Here is a response from my DA:

Thank you for reaching out about this.

I understand that the revision of our production goals to 12,000-14,000 units this year may cause concerns about timing, but I do want to reassure you that this does not impact the guidance on timing for you vehicle. In looking ahead at the automotive landscape and the availability of parts from suppliers, we revaluated the situation and found that 12,000-14,000 was much more realistic given the challenges plaguing the industry.

While this may be striking to some, I see this as a very positive sign and it reinforces our commitment to significantly increase our production output. Our commitment remains towards delivering the best build quality with each car delivered and this commitment is unwavering.

You have already moved forward with your order and provided us the information to progress this configuration to manufacturing. This means that your vehicle has already been sequenced at the factory and should be going into production in the coming weeks.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for your support and flexibility and we can’t wait for you to get behind the wheel of your new Lucid Air.

Back