Are these charging speeds real?

RichMalden

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, 1970 MB 280SL
Screenshot_20231004-071805.png

I just joined an EA Facebook page and one of the first posts I looked at had these 2 comments.

These cars were both at over 50% SOC and pulling about 250 kWh from an EA 350 charger.

I've gotten in the 200s briefly when I'm below 20% and pre-conditioned but it drops relatively fast. Mostly following the charging curves I've seen posted. I know there's a ton of variables but are they serious saying this is what they typically get? Is this possible but just bad for the battery?

View attachment 15331

I just joined an EA Facebook page and one of the first posts I looked at had these 2 comments.

These cars were both at over 50% SOC and pulling about 250 kWh from an EA 350 charger.

I've gotten in the 200s briefly when I'm below 20% and pre-conditioned but it drops relatively fast. Mostly following the charging curves I've seen posted. I know there's a ton of variables but are they serious saying this is what they typically get? Is this possible but just bad for the battery?
Yes those I5s have great charging curves. How bad it is for longevity...no one really knows, at least not consumers, not yet.

The EGMP cars(ev6, ioniq 5/6, gv60) and Taycans stand out a lot with their great charging curves, but at the expense of battery longevity as @hydbob said.

To me, the other car looks to be an ev6.

View attachment 15331

I guess I have been lucky but I spend a little time on PlugShare to find reliable 350kw chargers either locally or on my route. I have used 350kw chargers four times so far in my Touring with 1500 miles. The info you posted is probably normal and not an EA charger issue but the Lucid intentionally reducing the charging speed. I have charts of my charging curve for the last four fast charging sessions.

1696427282042.png

chart above is 6% to 61% charge at a 350KW EA charger in 23 minutes.

1696427391836.png

chart above is 6% to 85% in 41 minutes at EA 350kw.

You can notice that at 40% SOC both charging curves are around 140-150 kwh. At 50% SOC they are around 120kwh.

One thing to note is that the difference between this curve and a Taycan curve that let's say stays at 250kwh until 50% is about 4 to 5 minutes of charging time. And, the Lucid will get more range with the same SOC.

Great data!

One thing to note is that the difference between this curve and a Taycan curve that let's say stays at 250kwh until 50% is about 4 to 5 minutes of charging time

This is the important factor to remember. I was envious to see their numbers so I just have you remind myself. It's the same connecting to a 150 versus 350. It is almost a meaningless difference overall.

20231004_115055.jpg

That's actually pretty nice for 34% SOC
Yea I found a balanced charger that was working! When I plugged in there was an ioniq who was on the same stall but higher SOC so it was pretty good.

I guess I have been lucky but I spend a little time on PlugShare to find reliable 350kw chargers either locally or on my route. I have used 350kw chargers four times so far in my Touring with 1500 miles. The info you posted is probably normal and not an EA charger issue but the Lucid intentionally reducing the charging speed. I have charts of my charging curve for the last four fast charging sessions.

View attachment 15332
chart above is 6% to 61% charge at a 350KW EA charger in 23 minutes.

View attachment 15333
chart above is 6% to 85% in 41 minutes at EA 350kw.

You can notice that at 40% SOC both charging curves are around 140-150 kwh. At 50% SOC they are around 120kwh.

One thing to note is that the difference between this curve and a Taycan curve that let's say stays at 250kwh until 50% is about 4 to 5 minutes of charging time. And, the Lucid will get more range with the same SOC.
Thank you. This is more meaningful to me than all the speculation I see.

Also, I have yet to see data regarding battery degradation with DCFC with the expected # of cycles for a car. Would appreciate if someone can point me to a paper/link.

Thx to all

This is great charging.

But let me say this…. I do not think the 222 kWh you are getting is a result of the quality of the 350 kw charger. my hypothesis is that the car is making that decision. I have a Touring with 92kw battery. You probably have a GT or better and depending on the temp of the battery, etc, the car is asking for more Kw. My car is also new with only 1500 miles. Yours may have more miles. Please let me know the type of car, the temperature and your miles, if you don’t mind.

my goal is to keep tracking my car charging stats to see trends, improvements or whatnot. but again, thanks for posting.

Ah, just noticed you have a beast - a Dream edition which you probably owned for more than a year. It would be great if my car charging got better with time. Did yours get better or worse over the last 12 months?

Ah, just noticed you have a beast - a Dream edition which you probably owned for more than a year. It would be great if my car charging got better with time. Did yours get better or worse over the last 12 months?
About the same. This was a balanced charger and there was an Ioniq 5 charging on the other station so power was split. It's getting more rare to see a standalone 350 now. All the old ones around me have been replaced with balanced chargers.

View attachment 15331

This is me at the Merrimack outlets EA in New Hampshire this Sunday, V4 SK Signet unit with NO surge!!! I barely had time to go find the bathrooms there and pee before the car was done.

Attachments

• IMG_2105.jpeg
    IMG_2105.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
About the same. This was a balanced charger and there was an Ioniq 5 charging on the other station so power was split. It's getting more rare to see a standalone 350 now. All the old ones around me have been replaced with balanced chargers.
I rarely do DC charging. Can you explain 'balanced charger' vs standalone. thanks

Back