Am I the only one extremely disappointed in my Dream Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc007

Cars
Lucid Air Dream
I have been driving an Air Dream edition for 2 months now, and have about 3,500 miles. I have so many regrets. This is by far the worst new car experience I have had in my 40+ years of driving. White trim and white carpet in the Eureka Gold color, as recommended by the manufacturer. What a terrible concept. I am a clean freak, yet the carpets and liners are all stained and can't be cleaned (why not put Scotch Guard on the white carpet... maybe people would like to be able to have their car look clean?). Slow loading poorly set up software, non-stop glitches, slow hardware (yes, I do not believe the 45 seconds it takes to load the surround camera will be fixed with an OTA update, this appears to be a slow processor issue, as all of the software processing appears very sluggish). Folks that can afford to buy this car are usually hard-working and driven, and are not able to wait 45 seconds every time they get in their car for the surround cameras to load. The day I hit an object that could have been avoided if the surround cameras would have loaded on time will be the final straw for me. I also feel this car is dangerous, as you need so many interruptions while driving to use the features. Reaching over to push the Navigation button every time I get a text message that now hides the navigation screen, the reflective bar for the temperature adjustment that blinds me when the sun hits it, so many interruptions to a good driving experience. Also, I have never were able to get the promised 504 miles on a full charge, the most I ever got was 477 miles, ... I could go on and on. So disappointed. This car is not ready for sale to the public. I feel I am beta testing a nice-looking electric car with tons of glitches. Not impressed for $180K. Would love to hear other's experience.

You can get an EQS I think thats the only EV that gets the estimated EPA range or higher. Estimate is 350mi and some get testing they got close to 400mi. Maybe the Taycan too at less than 300mi. Also if you got black flooring and seats it'll just be as dirty as white color, it just won't be as visible.

(why not put Scotch Guard on the white carpet... maybe people would like to be able to have their car look clean?).
Many owners here put scotch guard on it. Are there other manufacturers who put it on in the factory?

Folks that can afford to buy this car are usually hard-working and driven, and are not able to wait 45 seconds every time they get in their car for the surround cameras to load.

Entitled are we? If you expect money to get you exactly what you want exactly when you want it, you’re destined for recurrent disappointment. Sometimes I get called into work in the middle of the night for emergencies, where if I take too long someone may not live. I’m not bothered by the length of time the surround camera take to boot up. Just drive faster if that 45 seconds is so crucial. Beside the backup camera boots as soon as you put the car in reverse if you woke it up before getting in. Most cars don’t even have a surround camera, and the Lucid’s is fantastic.

Reaching over to push the Navigation button every time I get a text message that now hides the navigation screen,
When getting texts/responding to texts in my Mercedes with Car play, if you try to go back to navigation it will instead open up Apple Maps, then you have to hit home on the Mercedes wheel, then the navigation button again. Yeah it’s annoying. But do you think Mercedes is pushing out over the air software updates to improve functionality? No. And if you want to update your Taycan you have to leave it at the dealer for days. Lucid is actually actively working on multiple software improvements.

Also, I have never were able to get the promised 504 miles on a full charge, the most I ever got was 477 miles, ... I could go on and on.
Congratulations, you drove your car further on a single charge than possible in any other EV without hypermiling. You literally drove TWO Taycan base models worth of range on a single charge and you’re pouting about it. Did you drive from 100% to 0% SOC on a relatively flat loop with climate set to 68F and fan at 2 with ACC set to 70? That’s how you get close to EPA in 5 cycle tested cars. EQS and Taycan go further than their EPA because of the 0.7 3 cycle test correction factor, but still can’t beat the Lucid. I think if you’d researched this stuff before purchasing you wouldn’t be as disappointed, nor would you hate being an early adopter given any new technology/company is going to have software growing pains which has already been addressed here every 5 minutes in every thread.

It’s unfortunate you hate this car that is faster than everything except the plaid (and Rimac, so if you can afford a Rimac then just give this piece of shit Dream Edition to your Butler as an Xmas present, hope he’s ok with the extra 45 seconds the surround camera takes to load), better looking than every EV (would you prefer the upside down bathtub style of the EQS?), has the best range of any EV (TWO taycans of range!), chargers faster than any EV, and has a bigger Frunk than any EV sedan. The software isn’t THAT bad. Ask a 2020 Taycan owner, or any early Tesla owner. I think the Dream is just the wrong car for you and is not going to meet your expectations even if it worked perfectly, sorry you spent that kind of $ and are so unhappy but you can probably sell it for what you paid.

Many owners here put scotch guard on it. Are there other manufacturers who put it on in the factory?

Entitled are we? If you expect money to get you exactly what you want exactly when you want it, you’re destined for recurrent disappointment. Sometimes I get called into work in the middle of the night for emergencies, where if I take too long someone may not live. I’m not bothered by the length of time the surround camera take to boot up. Just drive faster if that 45 seconds is so crucial. Beside the backup camera boots as soon as you put the car in reverse if you woke it up before getting in. Most cars don’t even have a surround camera, and the Lucid’s is fantastic.

When getting texts/responding to texts in my Mercedes with Car play, if you try to go back to navigation it will instead open up Apple Maps, then you have to hit home on the Mercedes wheel, then the navigation button again. Yeah it’s annoying. But do you think Mercedes is pushing out over the air software updates to improve functionality? No. And if you want to update your Taycan you have to leave it at the dealer for days. Lucid is actually actively working on multiple software improvements.

Congratulations, you drove your car further on a single charge than possible in any other EV without hypermiling. You literally drove TWO Taycan base models worth of range on a single charge and you’re pouting about it. Did you drive from 100% to 0% SOC on a relatively flat loop with climate set to 68F and fan at 2 with ACC set to 70? That’s how you get close to EPA in 5 cycle tested cars. EQS and Taycan go further than their EPA because of the 0.7 3 cycle test correction factor, but still can’t beat the Lucid. I think if you’d researched this stuff before purchasing you wouldn’t be as disappointed, nor would you hate being an early adopter given any new technology/company is going to have software growing pains which has already been addressed here every 5 minutes in every thread.

It’s unfortunate you hate this car that is faster than everything except the plaid (and Rimac, so if you can afford a Rimac then just give this piece of shit Dream Edition to your Butler as an Xmas present, hope he’s ok with the extra 45 seconds the surround camera takes to load), better looking than every EV (would you prefer the upside down bathtub style of the EQS?), has the best range of any EV (TWO taycans of range!), chargers faster than any EV, and has a bigger Frunk than any EV sedan. The software isn’t THAT bad. Ask a 2020 Taycan owner, or any early Tesla owner. I think the Dream is just the wrong car for you and is not going to meet your expectations even if it worked perfectly, sorry you spent that kind of $ and are so unhappy but you can probably sell it for what you paid.
Brutal takedown Bunny you magnificent bastard !

Sorry I don’t mean to sound harsh, there’s plenty of legitimate complaints about the car, all of which Lucid is working on. Is the car perfect? No. But come on, 45 second surround camera time (it’s not that slow), and 477 miles on a charge is way beyond first world problems.

Wow---if you don't get inline for the mutual-owner-back-pat, you earn a "Brutal Takedown"! Helpful...

And as to why he doesn't "just sell"? Undoubtedly waiting for the magic OTA update--that hasn't come in a month+

One of the greatest canards on this site is that most of the problems are "just software". What's the difference, if the car doesn't work right? Hell, they can replace a whole motor in a couple of hours. A software updates takes months.

I have been driving an Air Dream edition for 2 months now, and have about 3,500 miles. I have so many regrets. This is by far the worst new car experience I have had in my 40+ years of driving. White trim and white carpet in the Eureka Gold color, as recommended by the manufacturer. What a terrible concept. I am a clean freak, yet the carpets and liners are all stained and can't be cleaned (why not put Scotch Guard on the white carpet... maybe people would like to be able to have their car look clean?). Slow loading poorly set up software, non-stop glitches, slow hardware (yes, I do not believe the 45 seconds it takes to load the surround camera will be fixed with an OTA update, this appears to be a slow processor issue, as all of the software processing appears very sluggish). Folks that can afford to buy this car are usually hard-working and driven, and are not able to wait 45 seconds every time they get in their car for the surround cameras to load. The day I hit an object that could have been avoided if the surround cameras would have loaded on time will be the final straw for me. I also feel this car is dangerous, as you need so many interruptions while driving to use the features. Reaching over to push the Navigation button every time I get a text message that now hides the navigation screen, the reflective bar for the temperature adjustment that blinds me when the sun hits it, so many interruptions to a good driving experience. Also, I have never were able to get the promised 504 miles on a full charge, the most I ever got was 477 miles, ... I could go on and on. So disappointed. This car is not ready for sale to the public. I feel I am beta testing a nice-looking electric car with tons of glitches. Not impressed for $180K. Would love to hear other's experience.

Then God save you from buying a Tesla Model S Plaid, which gives us more problems and is a lesser car in all but acceleration than our Air Dream Edition. Or from buying something like the Mercedes SL55 AMG we had that was in the shop almost more time than out for the four aggravating years we owned it.

Wow---if you don't get inline for the mutual-owner-back-pat, you earn a "Brutal Takedown"! Helpful...

And as to why he doesn't "just sell"? Undoubtedly waiting for the magic OTA update--that hasn't come in a month+

One of the greatest canards on this site is that most of the problems are "just software". What's the difference, if the car doesn't work right? Hell, they can replace a whole motor in a couple of hours. A software updates takes months.
Sorry but I have cataloged my disappointments and frustrations with Lucid on many a previous thread. I’m hardly a starry eyed Lucid fanboi but come on the complaints registered in this thread run from the minor ( and ultimately fixable) to the ludicrous ( my god only477 miles of range!) the hard ware of this car is well thought out and robust, the interior is beautiful but I’ll admit the white carpet was a miscue( I’m getting grey Lucid carpets shortly) as far as the software it is glitchy and incomplete but after living with two steadily improving model Ses for 7 year that were also glitchy and incomplete I’m not too worried. Or maybe I’m just a lot more realistic about a brand new car and car company. Check back with me in a year and then if things haven’t improved greatly then I’ll be as pissed as this guy.

This is exactly the moment that I wish we had gifs because I would be all over a spit take!

I’ve not had any problems with the carpet, but I had my PPF guy put stuff on it. The few stains we got vacuumed right out.
You can also buy darker carpets from Lucid.

Software is a hot mess, I’ll agree with that. However, so is the software in my Taycan. (Just in different ways) Lucid is working on theirs and will OTA fixes, Porsche told me to buy a new car to get the latest.

Service has been impeccable. My SA, Chris is 10x better than any I have ever had at a Mercedes, Tesla, Porsche, etc.

Yes. There are problems. Yes, if the software were to permanently be in the state it is in, I would seriously consider flipping it. No, I don’t believe it will stay that way. No, I don’t believe it will be long till it’s improved.

This site has been very friendly from the start. I hope it does not turn into the Tesla site where anyone who states even minor problems is viciously attacked or degraded. We can honestly discuss where Lucid has fallen short and how to address these problems without getting nasty or personal.

I might be interested in buying it. Where are you located?

Would love to hear other's experience.

There are literally thousands of posts on this forum with other owners reporting their experiences. If you are really interested in hearing from others, just pick some threads on topics that interest you and peruse them.

Almost everyone has had some problems with their Airs, ranging from minor one-offs to recurring issues of more significance. However, this is the case on every one of the many car forums I've followed over the years.

However, a general consensus seems to have formed about the Air on several points:

1. The software was not ready for prime time. It is improving, although more slowly than some owners hoped/expected.

2. As a driving machine, the car has very few peers among sports sedans.

3. The passenger experience in terms of room and comfort is very good. There are mixed views on interior noise and ride quality, with more sporting owners thinking the car is good in those regards and more luxury-oriented owners thinking they've experienced better.

4. Some owners are consistently getting closer to EPA range ratings than others, but almost everyone agrees that no other EV can go anywhere near as far in similar driving conditions.

5. Fit and finish is good, especially for a new model from a new company, but not perfect.

Personally speaking, I am on my second Tesla Model S (currently a 2021 Plaid) and have owned many luxury cars (Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar) and sports cars (3 Audi R8s, Corvette, Mercedes SLR McLaren). The Lucid Air Dream Edition is the best overall combination of incredible power, great handling, comfort, style, and features I have ever owned.

And, at 5600 miles, our carpets look just fine after a quick vacuuming.

This site has been very friendly from the start. I hope it does not turn into the Tesla site where anyone who states even minor problems is viciously attacked or degraded. We can honestly discuss where Lucid has fallen short and how to address these problems without getting nasty or personal.
Sorry I don’t mean anything to sound nasty or personal or an attack. But come on, stating that cuz we’re all loaded we can’t wait for a 45 second load time (it’s not, I timed it from sleep, it’s 23 seconds) on the surround camera is just a bit much for me. I’m not a FanBoi, though I do love the car. I guess I just gotta get used to the complainers, and boy are there a LOT, who make it sound like they ordered caviar and were given tapioca balls.

There are literally thousands of posts on this forum with other owners reporting their experiences. If you are really interested in hearing from others, just pick some threads on topics that interest you and peruse them.

Almost everyone has had some problems with their Airs, ranging from minor one-offs to recurring issues of more significance. However, this is the case on every one of the many car forums I've followed over the years.

However, a general consensus seems to have formed about the Air on several points:

1. The software was not ready for prime time. It is improving, although more slowly than some owners hoped/expected.

2. As a driving machine, the car has very few peers among sports sedans.

3. The passenger experience in terms of room and comfort is very good. There are mixed views on interior noise and ride quality, with more sporting owners thinking the car is good in those regards and more luxury-oriented owners thinking they've experienced better.

4. Some owners are consistently getting closer to EPA range ratings than others, but almost everyone agrees that no other EV can go anywhere near as far in similar driving conditions.

5. Fit and finish is good, especially for a new model from a new company, but not perfect.

Personally speaking, I am on my second Tesla Model S (currently a 2021 Plaid) and have owned many luxury cars (Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar) and sports cars (3 Audi R8s, Corvette, Mercedes SLR McLaren). The Lucid Air Dream Edition is the best overall combination of incredible power, great handling, comfort, style, and features I have ever owned.

And, at 5600 miles, our carpets look just fine after a quick vacuuming.

Well said. I promise I’m not starting a Lucid fanboy cult, just don’t get the “if I get on scratch cuz the surround camera was slow to load I’m dumping this piece of shit” level of expectations.

Well said. I promise I’m not starting a Lucid fanboy cult, just don’t get the “if I get on scratch cuz the surround camera was slow to load I’m dumping this piece of shit” level of expectations.
As someone who hasn't yet been asked to make the decision to buy or not to buy, it's important and useful for me to hear the problems and disappoints of those who have already bought. I appreciate their candor: some problems could keep me from buying, others wouldn't. But the more info the better--good and bad.

I read a lot of posts where owners rave about features of the car that are not important to me....why would any of them take exceptation to a person complaining about an issue that doesn't bother them?

It comes off as a bit defensive at times...

As someone who hasn't yet been asked to make the decision to buy or not to buy, it's important and useful for me to hear the problems and disappoints of those who have already bought. I appreciate their candor: some problems could keep me from buying, others wouldn't. But the more info the better--good and bad.

I read a lot of posts where owners rave about features of the car that are not important to me....why would any of them take exceptation to a person complaining about an issue that doesn't bother them?

It comes off as a bit defensive at times...
True. But I think for a lot of people, the constant complaining leads to a false impression that minor annoyances are much bigger problems than they are. Some folks here are scaring the crap out of those of us who are waiting on the sidelines, soaking up all we can get. It's far easier to be affected by negativity than positivity. That's been proven.

It's like reading a Twitter timeline. After five minutes, you think the world is on fire. But it's really not as bad as it seems.

So while I do want the good and the bad, I don't want the experiences of those who are complaining to overshadow the many people here who seem to be generally pleased. I think that's what motivates those folks to respond with their positive experiences. Is it defensive? Yes. But for the sake of balancing out the overall mood, not because people are being zealots.

Believe me, I've spent enough time in Tesla land to see the Musk Minions. There is nothing remotely like that going on in this forum, as far as I can tell.

Why don't you just sell it then?
I need the long range. I drive a lot and can't stop to charge. I had ordered a Model S Plaid Plus when they promised the 500 mile range, then junped to Lucid when Musk canceled that model. I am still hoping that updates will fix it. Just not convinced yet.

Sorry I don’t mean to sound harsh, there’s plenty of legitimate complaints about the car, all of which Lucid is working on. Is the car perfect? No. But come on, 45 second surround camera time (it’s not that slow), and 477 miles on a charge is way beyond first world problems.
Yeah, but not when you promise 504. Just disappointed in too many angles. I was an Tesla early adopter, and that car was beyond antying else that was available at the time. The Dream is not (expect for the range). At least not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back