Air Dream Deliveries?

"I think the "snake oil salesman" talk is petty and mid-guided at best."

Do note the full sentence, highlighted here for context: "Musk is past the snake oil salesman stage since he's delivered enough to keep the music playing!"

Yea, the entire sentence was rife with innuendo. But, the "snake oil salesman" dig is the one that gets used the most often by detractors so it was easy to see where you were coming from.

As a Dream Edition owner who has already had two mobile service visits and whose car is being picked up tomorrow for a haul across state to a Service Center -- and amid reports that quite a few other Dream owners are having the same experience -- I feel it is in no one's interest to start delivering Grand Tourings until Lucid has gotten the quality off the line in better shape.

The absolute worst thing for everyone -- Dream owners, AGT buyers, shareholders -- is for Lucid's current quick repair capabilities to get overwhelmed at this early stage.

As a Dream Edition owner who has already had two mobile service visits and whose car is being picked up tomorrow for a haul across state to a Service Center -- and amid reports that quite a few other Dream owners are having the same experience -- I feel it is in no one's interest to start delivering Grand Tourings until Lucid has gotten the quality off the line in better shape.

The absolute worst thing for everyone -- Dream owners, AGT buyers, shareholders -- is for Lucid's current quick repair capabilities to get overwhelmed at this early stage.

Wow. That stinks. The hits keep coming. I really thought the team that Lucid put together would have been much more prepared for production than what they're showing.

I own a Tesla. It's one of the best products of any kind that I have ever owned. And constantly gets better. I think the "snake oil salesman" talk is petty and mid-guided at best.

I'm rooting for Lucid big time (not withstanding that I own a ton of shares), but that in no way means I'm rooting against Tesla. Quite the opposite.

I, too, am a two-time Tesla owner and like the brand.

However, the distinction should not be lost between Musk's astonishing record as an innovator who has changed the entire landscape in several industries (PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla Automotive) and the record he is developing as an egoist who thinks his accomplishments should put him beyond the reach of the laws under which this society operates.

His reopening the Fremont factory in defiance of public health officials, his sanctioning by the SEC and subsequent violations of the terms of the settlement agreement, his determination to put such products as the yoke steering into the marketplace before the NHTSA had time to study its safety, his anti-vax comments setting himself up as a more grounded medical practitioner than public health professionals, are all troubling signals of a megalomaniac in the making -- much as Henry Ford in an earlier era fancied that his manufacturing prowess turned him into a foreign policy expert who should use his wealth and fame to advance anti-Semitism and launch a racist, reactionary social agenda supported by a news publication.

I could not agree more. It almost sounds like they are getting close to being overwhelmed with less than 300 cars delivered. This is immensely disappointing given they delayed launch for six months to "get the car right". The last thing they need to do now is compound the problem by pushing out cars with the same rate of issues.

The silver lining might be though that they learn from this and get those items sorted that might necessitate a Service Center visit. Software updates are one thing; hardware failure, manufacturing shortcomings, paint issues, body panel issues, camera failures, etc. are quite another.

Wow. That stinks. The hits keep coming. I really thought the team that Lucid put together would have been much more prepared for production than what they're showing.
The team can be the best, but hardware failures can't be controlled. I'm more worried now about who supplies the parts..

Where are you getting reports that there are "quite a few" DEs being hauled across state to a Service Center? As one of the remaining DE owners awaiting delivery of a car (for which I have a VIN but have not yet paid), I agree that we should all just take a deep breath and not put pressure on Lucid to get us our cars. I am eager to NOT take delivery yet. Having watched hmp10's travails, it seems we need to be patient and let Lucid work through the issues that have been identified by early adopters (although it does seem hmp10's car has more problems than other DEs).

hmp10, what is the final list of items the Service Center is addressing in your car? (i.e., the things that could not be fixed by mobile service)

Where are you getting reports that there are "quite a few" DEs being hauled across state to a Service Center?

Elsewhere on this forum I had compiled an informal list of people who have had either mobile tech visits or Service Center visits since receiving their cars. It was six people at last count, which is a pretty good percentage of the people on this forum who have reported already receiving their cars.

hmp10, what is the final list of items the Service Center is addressing in your car? (i.e., the things that could not be fixed by mobile service)

I'm going to work up that list this afternoon before my car is picked up tomorrow. I've got to run an errand now but will post later.

Elsewhere on this forum I had compiled an informal list of people who have had either mobile tech visits or Service Center visits since receiving their cars. It was six people at last count, which is a pretty good percentage of the people on this forum who have reported already receiving their cars.

I'm going to work up that list this afternoon before my car is picked up tomorrow. I've got to run an errand now but will post later.
You could just wait for the work order lucid provides : )

I am leaving off this list the software issues that most Dream Owners are reporting. Here's the rest of it:

1. Frequent Pilot Screen freezes and occasional blackouts of Pilot Screen and right panel of Glass Cockpit (both of which persist until a forced reset)

2. Loss of cell phone signal in areas when mobile phones in the car are showing strong signals

3. Occasional loud scraping, rattling, and whistling noises out of A/C vents

4. Check trunk alignment and address resulting paint loss on bumper and lower trunk lip

5. Replace rear license plate mount and assembly

6. Check my repair of loose weather stripping at top of trunk lid

The team can be the best, but hardware failures can't be controlled. I'm more worried now about who supplies the parts..
I’m an engineer. I’ve worked in hardware and software. The fact is hardware failures can and must be absolutely controlled. That’s where electrical and mechanical design comes in as well as quality assurance and vendor management. The team is NOT the best if they can’t work together with their cross functional counterparts.

Admittedly most owners, myself included, have not faced nearly the garish issues @hmp10 faced. Mine were super minor and are mainly just me being anal. None that have caused serious problems with the car.

Also I get I back today from the wrap shop (well, my fiancée does, because I’m high on drugs from wisdom tooth extraction) but in the next few days when I’m not a pile of garbage I’m excited to see how the wrap went. Apparently he was able to do the entire trunk in a single piece which I am both excited about and also flabbergasted by, because them curves are CURVY

At the moment is DE#295 the highest we’ve seen or heard about?

I’m an engineer. I’ve worked in hardware and software. The fact is hardware failures can and must be absolutely controlled. That’s where electrical and mechanical design comes in as well as quality assurance and vendor management. The team is NOT the best if they can’t work together with their cross functional counterparts.

Peter Rawlinson addressed vendor management problems in an interview back during the final months of ramp-up to production and commented on how much they were straining the system. He said Lucid sources 2,400 components, many of which were delayed or arriving below quality standards, due sometimes to Covid-related problems with the vendors' own workforce and supply chains. He also said that, in normal times, Lucid would place its own engineers on site with the vendors to work the quality issues face to face, but that Covid travel restrictions, particularly with international travel, had made that very difficult.

One reason I'm still mostly tolerant with the issues I'm having with the car is that I recognize the extremely trying circumstances in which many businesses have been operating for the past two years. I think it's telling that the things that were done mostly in-house and locked in earlier -- such as motor development, suspension engineering, aerodynamics, ergonomics and aesthetics -- have turned out to be the best I have ever experienced in a car, while the things that came later during the Covid disruptions seem to be the most problematic areas.

All that said, I still can't understand how cars got out the door with trunks visibly misaligned and with license plate screws too short to reach the mounting plate. That's just sloppy assembly and inspection.

At the moment is DE#295 the highest we’ve seen or heard about?

That's been reported so far, but there's only a very small percentage on this forum vs actual owners & holders. About 30+ cars were shipped out to Chicago over the weekend.

That's been reported so far, but there's only a very small percentage on this forum vs actual owners & holders. About 30+ cars were shipped out to Chicago over the weekend.
I don't think it matters how small our sample is if we can assume they are shipping the Dream Edition models in order. Then all we need to know is the latest receipt of a Dream and it's number. For this Forum that is Paladin who received his car last week number 295. If in fact another 30 have been shipped then maybe we are somewhere around 325 or so. I know I was an upgrade so I'm assuming my car will be numbered somewhere between 501-520 but maybe I'm wrong and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think it matters how small our sample is if we can assume they are shipping the Dream Edition models in order. Then all we need to know is the latest receipt of a Dream and it's number. For this Forum that is Paladin who received his car last week number 295. If in fact another 30 have been shipped then maybe we are somewhere around 325 or so. I know I was an upgrade so I'm assuming my car will be numbered somewhere between 501-520 but maybe I'm wrong and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

My guess is the DE number is associated with production order, not delivery order. So it's safe to assume at least 295 have been built. Hard to know how many of those 295 have been delivered versus are still sitting at the factory lot.

My guess is the DE number is associated with production order, not delivery order. So it's safe to assume at least 295 have been built. Hard to know how many of those 295 have been delivered versus are still sitting at the factory lot.
I received my VIN in mid December and was told my car was off the production line and just waiting for some "fit and finish" issues. So if in fact my DE number is between 501-520 then that would imply over 500 have been built.

I received my VIN in mid December and was told my car was off the production line and just waiting for some "fit and finish" issues. So if in fact my DE number is between 501-520 then that would imply over 500 have been built.
You should be able to ask your DA. Others have been sent pictures prior to delivery.

Back