21” Michelins

chcho

Cars
AGT - Zenith Red
Now that production ramp has taken effect, curious if there’s been more people that have swapped the Pirelli OEM 21s for the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons. Hoping to get my VIN soon so need to make a final call on 19s vs 21s. In the Philly area so leaning towards 19 due to road conditions but am hoping others’ experience can sway me to keep the 21s.

I forgot who, but there was some info going around that the Michelin had more road noise?

The 20" Air wheels should be available sometime in Q4 and they are mounted with Michelin tires, which I believe are Pilot Sport summer compound tires, not AS. My guess is that these Michelins are designed for the Lucid and have the sound absorption properties as the custom P Zeros on the 21" wheels.

Now that production ramp has taken effect, curious if there’s been more people that have swapped the Pirelli OEM 21s for the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons. Hoping to get my VIN soon so need to make a final call on 19s vs 21s. In the Philly area so leaning towards 19 due to road conditions but am hoping others’ experience can sway me to keep the 21s.
I’ve lost 2 tires so far on 21s on relatively good roads. If I was in Philly I would definitely go 19”s. 5200 lbs 21 inch tires and pot holes are not a great combo.

I forgot who, but there was some info going around that the Michelin had more road noise?
That was from my mobile service tech. He’s replaced a LOT of 21s, and he said one owner put on Michelin which didn’t seem to be as prone to failure as the Pirelli but they were unhappy because of worse noise than the Pirelli.

I’ve had the Michelin 21s and 20s on other cars. I don’t think the 21s will be different.

I'd be wary of ascribing qualities to the brand just based off size. Michelin makes a number of 21" tires and depending on the tire spec and performance you are looking to get, NVH is going to be part of the trade off you make for a given size or performance rating.

Something like a Michelin PS4S or MPSS will be quite refined for a high end sport tire - but that may not be an acceptable level of NVH if your end goal is purely comfort and noise reduction, for example.

I'd be wary of ascribing qualities to the brand just based off size. Michelin makes a number of 21" tires and depending on the tire spec and performance you are looking to get, NVH is going to be part of the trade off you make for a given size or performance rating.

Something like a Michelin PS4S or MPSS will be quite refined for a high end sport tire - but that may not be an acceptable level of NVH if your end goal is purely comfort and noise reduction, for example.
My thought is the lower profile 21” Michelins will be just as prone to damage as the 21” Pirellis. I had 21s on a 7 series will several tires lost due to damage same as Air. I have 20” tires with a slightly higher profile on 7 series without issue. The low profile 21s and a car at or over 5000lbs, can result in tire damage on roads where the 19 or 20 inch tires with higher profile will be fine.

My thought is the lower profile 21” Michelins will be just as prone to damage as the 21” Pirellis. I had 21s on a 7 series will several tires lost due to damage same as Air. I have 20” tires with a slightly higher profile on 7 series without issue. The low profile 21s and a car at or over 5000lbs, can result in tire damage on roads where the 19 or 20 inch tires with higher profile will be fine.
I plan on changing to Michelin's 21s when they become available for the Lucid because of past experience. I use to own an Entegra Anthem 45 ft diesel pusher and there were folks that had Goodyear tires that had front blowouts which caused major damage and even severe crashes. Because of numerous blowouts, Entegra changed over to Michelin tires and the complaints went away.

I plan on changing to Michelin's 21s when they become available for the Lucid because of past experience. I use to own an Entegra Anthem 45 ft diesel pusher and there were folks that had Goodyear tires that had front blowouts which caused major damage and even severe crashes. Because of numerous blowouts, Entegra changed over to Michelin tires and the complaints went away.
I’m a fan of Michelins also. The 21s I lost to damage on the B7 were Michelins.

I’m a fan of Michelins also. The 21s I lost to damage on the B7 were Michelins.
I hated the Pirelli's on my Porsche's. Way nosier than the Michelins.

But with the sound insulation on these particular Pirelli's, hard to say which will be quieter.

The Pirellis are pretty quiet for sure. Tires for this car have a lot of engineering challenges. Low rolling resistance, sports car grip, quiet, heavy load, comfortable ride. Will be interesting to see how Michelin balances the competing performance characteristics.

I'm not sure what will be gained switching to the Michelins. Pirelli's as noted are pretty quiet and handling is very good. Also after 5600 miles no noticeable wear.

We won’t know until we get a chance to try the Michelins. My driver front Pirelli is new and the other 3 are original with 10k miles. I’ll post tread depths later this week.

I'm not sure what will be gained switching to the Michelins. Pirelli's as noted are pretty quiet and handling is very good. Also after 5600 miles no noticeable wear.
Agree, I’m about 3000 miles. I really don’t feel much road noise, but I just don’t drive unpaved road to know the difference.

I had 21" Michelins on my Tesla P85+ that got a blister so I'll wait to see if others report they are actually better before switching. I'm still thinking about switching to the 20s when they come out though.

Hi I'm just N of the city. Opted for 19/as for ride comfort / safety. Drove the demo at Short Hills which I believe had the 19's...ride was very nice. I did not push the car around to test turn-in / grip, etc. I may buy a set of 21" with summer rubber later. We like to drive in the snow, so I generally keep a set of winter and summer wheels/tires for the "ski car".... although looking at what I just typed...probably not going to be exposing the Lucid to all the horrifically bad SUV / pick-up truck drivers who think AWD gives them physics-defying super power. So, yea...don't think I will needing snows for this car....most likely will try the 21" eventually. I have done the profile upgrade before and was amazed how much better the handling gets. Hard to imagine "tossing" this car around. I am wary of the horrible condition of the roads around us and do not want to be stranded on the SureKill with a blown tire / busted rim. The horror...

21” Pirellis. After 10k miles I have 6/32 on passenger front 8/32 on the rears and 8/32 on the driver front which was replacedat around 8k miles. A few laps at CMP probably accounts for 2/32 wear on the fronts.

Back