2.4.0 / 2.4.2 OTA

I wanted to ask: the 3D Lane Visualization is just an optical gimmick or it also improves DD's real-life capabilities? As in better lane centering, less bouncing, etc.
My impression is that the lane centering is much improved. My car centers up now and stays centered unless I bias it with pressure on the wheel. Before it would track on the right of the lane. The visualization correctly shows where in the lane you are including any offset from center.

Anyone know how good it is at picking up motorcycles splitting lanes in California?

Are there any ADAS improvements to DD cars in 2.4.x update? i.e ACC or Lane keep assist functions? Or the 3-lane display at least?

Last edited:
I wanted to ask: the 3D Lane Visualization is just an optical gimmick or it also improves DD's real-life capabilities? As in better lane centering, less bouncing, etc.
Real-life capabilities are better. And 3D Lane Visualization is a gimmick. Both can be true. 😀

All kidding aside, they have made improvements that actually help the car stay centered in the lane better. Those same improvements also prevent false exits when you are driving in the right lane on a highway and it splits off to an exit. Also, when lanes merge, etc. Bottom line: HA is a lot better with this version.

AND all those improvements made 3D visualization possible. I just personally consider 3D visualization to be a distraction. Something that is more impressive as a demo than practical for actual driving. All you need to see is right there in front of you, beyond the windshield and in your mirrors. Not on a screen.

I know this was discussed before, but I don't know if it exists already. If not, Lucid should give owners the opportunity to sign up to be beta testers of early adopters (obviously, owners should understand and agree to the risks that could come with it). From the list of volunteers, they should select a subset based on whatever criteria they want to apply.
That's how actual beta testing is supposed to work, and how it worked before the days that Netscape came up with the concept of "open beta." Beta wasn't supposed to be something in general release or a way of tagging something to indicate that it might have bugs. I assume that Lucid has actual beta testing in the traditional sense, which used to mean having a person coordinating things with the beta testers and assigning them specific things to test out. What's also needed is a specific feedback mechanism where users can report problems. In a real beta test, there's an NDA so you wouldn't hear about it from testers, nor would you hear about problems they encounter. Disclosing things would mean getting kicked out of the beta program. So if they have what you are looking for, except for asking for volunteers, you probably wouldn't hear about it.

The incentive for beta testing typically used to be that the person would get a copy of the software or upgrade at no charge when it went into general release, but that's irrelevant with respect to the current paradigm. These days, it would just be early access. It also meant getting free hardware in many cases when that's what was being tested, but I don't imagine that an automaker would do that.

Here is what Nick wrote... "We plan to deploy a version of the Lucid UX 2.4 software update to all Air owners in the US by next Monday evening. Thank you for your patience." I interpreted that to mean that they were targeting completion of the roll out by next Monday. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I can live with whatever it takes to get a stable version out there, even if next Monday is missed.

While it's fun to get a big update like this, and I'm sure Lucid loved being able to tout it publicly, I think our interests would be better served by smaller, more targeted updates. For example, rolling out the DDP updates separately might have simplified things considerably. Just my opinion. I might be wrong.
That was how I interpreted things when I first read it, but upon rereading it, it's ambiguous. If they deploy it by then, it could mean the rollout to all users starts then. I suppose we'll find out. Also, "plan to" makes it a moot point. In Lucid's case, I assume that it means they they have every intention to do so and have a reasonable expectation. So whether we all get it or don't, it won't be inconsistent with what Nick wrote.

That's how actual beta testing is supposed to work and how it worked before the days that Netscape came up with the concept of "open beta." Beta wasn't supposed to be something in general release or a way of tagging something to indicate that it might have bugs. I assume that Lucid has actual beta testing in the traditional sense, which used to mean having a person coordinating things with the beta testers and assigning them specific things to test out. What's also needed is a specific feedback mechanism where users can report problems. In a real beta test, there's an NDA so you wouldn't hear about it from testers, nor would you hear about problems they encounter. Disclosing things would mean getting kicked out of the beta program. So if they have what you are looking for, except for asking for volunteers, you probably wouldn't hear about it.

The incentive for beta testing typically used to be that the person would get a copy of the software or upgrade at no charge when it went into general release, but that's irrelevant with respect to the current paradigm. These days, it would just be early access. It also meant getting free hardware in many cases when that's what was being tested, but I don't imagine that an automaker would do that.

Great points! They may have such a program, and some folks I know may be in it. It would be interesting to get a confirmation from Lucid on the existence of such a program or the lack thereof.

personally, i prefer tactile controls for all these things in industry standard spots. i mean why would anyone change the turn signal control.. who in their right mind??? oh wait.

i guess i'm old school.
I tried a Tesla without stalks. The shifting part actually made perfect sense. I didn't quite feel the same about the turn signals. Perhaps if I drove one regularly, it would become intuitive. But when FSD moved it into a wrong lane by mistake (i.e. not appropriate for the route) and I needed to take over and change back quickly, the steering was no problem but I didn't signal. Hitting the stalk simultaneously would have been instinctive. Steering suddenly and having to look for a spot to press an arrow wasn't about to happen. Tesla also gives physical shift buttons that can be pressed, but their implementation is bizarre. They consider it an alternative when things go wrong with the screen, and it's not always a simple matter of just tapping a physical button.

Extended Stop and Go? (seems like this should be related to adaptive cruise, but it says DDPro in the description)
It does work for me with adaptive cruise on city streets. But I do have DD Pro.

As many of us are waiting... some interesting topics/subjects Peter Rawlinson directly presented on Lucid Tech and Manufacturing Day 2024.
Definitely worth listening/seeing the entire presentation for 1.5 hours.

View attachment 23383
What I like about this is that scheduled charging improvements are so important that they will be doing it twice. So if they don't live up to expectations the first time, there will be more to come.

Real-life capabilities are better. And 3D Lane Visualization is a gimmick. Both can be true. 😀
I particularly like the feature where Lucid gives us a big glass screen in front of us that we can look through and see the actual cars in front of us, as well as vehicles in front in adjacent lanes.

IMO, you can't focus on all things at once - not when you are a startup, in a very difficult market, where speed to market is super important. Lucid has prioritized efficiency, range and driving dynamics. They have deprioritized software features and software quality. Now they are trying to catch up on that. Just a strategic choice.
True. At least software can always improve.

That was how I interpreted things when I first read it, but upon rereading it, it's ambiguous. If they deploy it by then, it could mean the rollout to all users starts then. I suppose we'll find out. Also, "plan to" makes it a moot point. In Lucid's case, I assume that it means they they have every intention to do so and have a reasonable expectation. So whether we all get it or don't, it won't be inconsistent with what Nick wrote.
An interesting perspective, as I (perhaps incorrectly) considered 'deploy' and 'roll out' to be interchangeable terms. You are certainly right that there are a few squishy caveats. That said, I would rather wait than get something problematic.

Now, I know how my son felt when I bought him a radio-controlled airplane, but didn't have time to help him build it. Waiting is SO HARD!

An interesting perspective, as I (perhaps incorrectly) considered 'deploy' and 'roll out' to be interchangeable terms. You are certainly right that there are a few squishy caveats. That said, I would rather wait than get something problematic.

Now, I know how my son felt when I bought him a radio-controlled airplane, but didn't have time to help him build it. Waiting is SO HARD!
Karma is balancing our account books for making our kids wait for stuff!

I tried a Tesla without stalks. The shifting part actually made perfect sense. I didn't quite feel the same about the turn signals. Perhaps if I drove one regularly, it would become intuitive. But when FSD moved it into a wrong lane by mistake (i.e. not appropriate for the route) and I needed to take over and change back quickly, the steering was no problem but I didn't signal. Hitting the stalk simultaneously would have been instinctive. Steering suddenly and having to look for a spot to press an arrow wasn't about to happen.
It's complete disaster in Europe, where you have tons and roundabouts and where you are supposed to indicate your leaving the roundabout. No way to do that right all the time with buttons on the steering wheel - it will be obviously not on the center position on the roundabout, you'll always have to figure out the right button.

What I like about this is that scheduled charging improvements are so important that they will be doing it twice. So if they don't live up to expectations the first time, there will be more to come.
I thought I was the only one that spotted that!

Are there any ADAS improvements to DD cars in 2.4.x update? i.e ACC or Lane keep assist functions? Or the 3-lane display at least?
I have a Pure AWD with basic DD and 2.4.2. The only ADAS improvement I can tell so far is that the graphics of the vehicles (your own + the one in the front) are nicer, e.g., my car is the correct color. Single lane display only, but that’s probably because we don’t have side cameras.

It would have been ideal if they had also implemented the “resume from a stop” and “more aggressive acceleration in stop-and-go traffic” improvements for us as well, since presumably those are only algorithmic improvements (DDPro gets these). Hopefully in a future update.

Back