1.2.6 OTA Out

Thanks, I guess it comes with the territory, people are just more likely to post bad experiences (like mine with anything pre-delivery) than they are positive.
I'd gladly take a bricked car in a garage, than my old BMW 740iL shutting off on me completely in the carpool lane traveling 80mph. That was probably the most nerve racking car event I've ever experienced.

Maybe you would like to have this instead:
View attachment 2758

I patiently waited 3 or 4 hours thinking it was still updating. It had gotten dark in the garage and I could finally see this message on the center panel.

The car was totally dead in that I could not unlock the doors with any method. The update progress said 0%. Luckily, I opened the rear trunk and crawled to the front and opened the front doors "mechanically." The rear doors would not open and I could see this as a problem if there were an accident.

I called customer care and they were not able to do anything. They reported this to the OTA team. After about an hour the car alarm was on and I was able to silence it using the key fob. The doors would unlock, but the error message still persisted. I was able to put it in drive and reverse in the garage, so it was probably drivable.

I got a call from customer care and they told me that the OTA team had uploaded another update. The CC person told me to disable WiFi before the update, since he was told that is the safest way to do it. I started the update from the car and in a few minutes it was at 14% after about 20 minutes it was at 24% and stayed there for another 40 minutes (1 hour total). The car again displayed the the above Software Failed message. Customer care called me back to check and I told them of the situation - which was the same as the first time. They put in a problem report and I should hear from someone tomorrow regarding a mobile tech coming out.

It was really hot here today(105º or so) and about as hot in the garage. The car fans are coming on/off, so I left the garage door open and that has helped. The car accessories are on, like interior lights and USB. Hopefully this does not run down the 12V battery – maybe the fans coming on is an indication that the DC to DC converter is kicking in and keeping the accessory battery charged.

The above is a condensed version of what happened. This all transpired in the course of about 7 hours with a lot of diagnosing with the CC person over the phone – including about a gallon of sweat in the hot garage.
Ugh - sorry about that. Hopefully the mobile tech can resolve quickly!

Would the rear doors just not open from the outside or were you also unable to open from the inside (by pulling the door pulls to the 2nd detention like the front)?

Nice update- like the fact the Media screen stays open in the Pilot Panel - used to just go back to the Home screen. With Key FOB- my frunk is opening, not the back trunk. Sort of like that better as there was no physical button to push like there is on the back. I'll take it. With Highway assist- how did you find it??? Can't wait for that feature. Does it work??? Finally, anybody else have issues with the charging cord? Sometimes hard to click in, and next morning to click out. Sometimes not. Odd.

Also- with new HiFi on Tidal- how do you adjust settings (do you have to?) to enable the higher audio quality? Dolby Atmos sounds good to me now- but it did before. Thanks all!

Thanks, I guess it comes with the territory, people are just more likely to post bad experiences (like mine with anything pre-delivery) than they are positive.
Yes - that’s the thing with car forums in general. People are a lot more likely to post “help, I have xyz issue with my car!” than “everything is going fine this week”.

Nice update- like the fact the Media screen stays open in the Pilot Panel - used to just go back to the Home screen. With Key FOB- my frunk is opening, not the back trunk. Sort of like that better as there was no physical button to push like there is on the back. I'll take it. With Highway assist- how did you find it??? Can't wait for that feature. Does it work??? Finally, anybody else have issues with the charging cord? Sometimes hard to click in, and next morning to click out. Sometimes not. Odd.

Also- with new HiFi on Tidal- how do you adjust settings (do you have to?) to enable the higher audio quality? Dolby Atmos sounds good to me now- but it did before. Thanks all!
The fob should do both frunk and trunk. Press twice for frunk. Press once, then press and hold for the trunk.

I will hit 7000 miles this week. The only significant issue was a tire that needed to be replaced due to buldge in sidewall. The mechanicals have been very dependable. For the most part the software and UI have been consistent. Behaving “as expected“ as annoying as that is at times.

The fob should do both frunk and trunk. Press twice for frunk. Press once, then press and hold for the trunk.
Frunk is press and hold. Trunk is press once then press again and hold.

This is the kind of stuff that makes one reconsider if buying a Lucid is really a good idea. I loved my test drive and the way the car performed, but to go out to the garage and be greeted by this would be deeply frustrating and concerning. Software shortcomings are one thing, failure to the point where you have to crawl in through the trunk and can't drive the car are another matter. Is this car, or this Company, really ready to sell in great quantities?
Yeah, I'm not sure why the car goes into "bunker" mode while doing an update and hopefully will be addressed in future updates but this is bound to happen on any car that has OTA capabilities. For me, it's all about how it can be recovered and if it can be recovered without needing to be towed to the dealer etc. Even Audi bricked my car once with a software update and they needed it for 2 days to fix. The only advantage with Audi was the car was at the dealer because they don't do OTA updates but even for established brands sometimes sh*t just happens.

This is the world we live in and not all cars are going to follow the playbook 100% hence why Lucid is smart to send out in batches to if this was a mass problem they could quickly halt the update process.

This is the kind of stuff that makes one reconsider if buying a Lucid is really a good idea. I loved my test drive and the way the car performed, but to go out to the garage and be greeted by this would be deeply frustrating and concerning. Software shortcomings are one thing, failure to the point where you have to crawl in through the trunk and can't drive the car are another matter. Is this car, or this Company, really ready to sell in great quantities?
This has happened with plenty of Tesla's also. It is a risk of OTA updates.

My last Ford with MyFordTouch would crash all the time and I would have to reboot the software. Its not a frequent occurrence with any of these vehicles (Lucid, Rivian, Tesla, Ford, etc, etc), but it does happen with any modern vehicle.

There is no highway assist yet, only adaptive cruise.

My last Ford with MyFordTouch would crash all the time and I would have to reboot the software. Its not a frequent occurrence with any of these vehicles (Lucid, Rivian, Tesla, Ford, etc, etc), but it does happen with any modern vehicle.
I guess my 2014 BMW M5 is not a "modern" vehicle. I have never had an issue with it, knock on wood.;)

I guess my 2014 BMW M5 is not a "modern" vehicle. I have never had an issue with it, knock on wood.;)
It doesn't happen in every car, but any car where the majority of the startup and systems are controlled by computers? Absolutely possible.

Years ago, I drove my brand new M3 off the lot and it immediately went into turtle mode. After that it spent half of the next few months in the shop for various reasons. I had several enjoyable years with it afterwards, including the additional time it spent on the shop.

My Panamera had similar issues, including going into turtle mode and the time it spent in the shop did not diminish the enjoyment.

If I was seeking perfection from a luxury car company, I would probably have been better off riding a bike and taking an Uber.

Ugh - sorry about that. Hopefully the mobile tech can resolve quickly!

Would the rear doors just not open from the outside or were you also unable to open from the inside (by pulling the door pulls to the 2nd detention like the front)?
They didn’t open from the inside. But the fronts opened ok from the inside

L

I have found that there IS Highway Assist if your turn off Lane Keeping Assist that then go into cruise control. The center panel for me then says Highway Assist.
Gonna have to test that out since I keep LKA off now...last time I tried it just said Adaptive Cruise Control...

Maybe you would like to have this instead:
View attachment 2758

I patiently waited 3 or 4 hours thinking it was still updating. It had gotten dark in the garage and I could finally see this message on the center panel.

The car was totally dead in that I could not unlock the doors with any method. The update progress said 0%. Luckily, I opened the rear trunk and crawled to the front and opened the front doors "mechanically." The rear doors would not open and I could see this as a problem if there were an accident.

I called customer care and they were not able to do anything. They reported this to the OTA team. After about an hour the car alarm was on and I was able to silence it using the key fob. The doors would unlock, but the error message still persisted. I was able to put it in drive and reverse in the garage, so it was probably drivable.

I got a call from customer care and they told me that the OTA team had uploaded another update. The CC person told me to disable WiFi before the update, since he was told that is the safest way to do it. I started the update from the car and in a few minutes it was at 14% after about 20 minutes it was at 24% and stayed there for another 40 minutes (1 hour total). The car again displayed the the above Software Failed message. Customer care called me back to check and I told them of the situation - which was the same as the first time. They put in a problem report and I should hear from someone tomorrow regarding a mobile tech coming out.

It was really hot here today(105º or so) and about as hot in the garage. The car fans are coming on/off, so I left the garage door open and that has helped. The car accessories are on, like interior lights and USB. Hopefully this does not run down the 12V battery – maybe the fans coming on is an indication that the DC to DC converter is kicking in and keeping the accessory battery charged.

The above is a condensed version of what happened. This all transpired in the course of about 7 hours with a lot of diagnosing with the CC person over the phone – including about a gallon of sweat in the hot garage.
A quick update to this problem: it seems the car will come alive after about an hour after this problem occurs. I did plug the car in overnight and this morning it was fully charged and the only software failure message was on the app. The car should be drivable since I can put it in drive or reverse and move back & forth in the garage. Everything looks normal on the car. The service center was getting with OTA team and local techs to determine what to do next. They recommended not trying another update if it gets pushed out until they have a better handle on it.

This is displayed on the app (a similar message was displayed in the car, but it is no longer there):

AF1E1F95-552E-4E63-B92F-EB0C18EDC87B.jpeg

... but it does happen with any modern vehicle.
Computers are not new things... and updating computers is not a new thing... nor are imbedded systems (just a fancy name for a type of computer)...
There is really no valid excuse for such problems... yes, updates can fail, but if the update process is well planned out and implemented, then there is really no excuse for it "bricking" a device. A good system will allow fall back to the previous (last known working) version with a single "atomic" change to cut over from that old to the new... and the boot process should have a means to tell it "don't boot the current version, rather boot into that last known working version".
There is nothing special about the update arriving OTA vs from physical media... that is just a question of how the new system is delivered, not of any inherent risk of applying the update.
Not many systems get this right, but many do.
So, while "modern vehicles" may fall victim to this problem, it is not because there is any inherent reason for them to do so due to being "modern".

Computers are not new things... and updating computers is not a new thing... nor are imbedded systems (just a fancy name for a type of computer)...
There is really no valid excuse for such problems... yes, updates can fail, but if the update process is well planned out and implemented, then there is really no excuse for it "bricking" a device. A good system will allow fall back to the previous (last known working) version with a single "atomic" change to cut over from that old to the new... and the boot process should have a means to tell it "don't boot the current version, rather boot into that last known working version".
There is nothing special about the update arriving OTA vs from physical media... that is just a question of how the new system is delivered, not of any inherent risk of applying the update.
Not many systems get this right, but many do.
So, while "modern vehicles" may fall victim to this problem, it is not because there is any inherent reason for them to do so due to being "modern".
All very true. But it’s a question of priorities and experience. How many stories did we hear about bricked iPhones before Apple got this right? And yet it still happens every now and then.

Nailing the OTA update experience is important. But when you are updating a thousand cars you might just get caught off guard compared to when you are updating 100,000 cars, and you’ve seen these sorts of issues and put in more preventative measures.

If it’s true that various components have been getting delivered with various firmware versions, it’s entirely possible the software update team didn’t anticipate that, and very likely they could not have tested for it.

Hope they learn from this and build out a more robust system that falls back on the previous version more effectively.

Back