1.2.6 OTA Out

You are a couple of days late. Already a lot written on what the update is supposed to do and some problems a few are having after the download.

Computers are not new things... and updating computers is not a new thing... nor are imbedded systems (just a fancy name for a type of computer)...
There is really no valid excuse for such problems... yes, updates can fail, but if the update process is well planned out and implemented, then there is really no excuse for it "bricking" a device. A good system will allow fall back to the previous (last known working) version with a single "atomic" change to cut over from that old to the new... and the boot process should have a means to tell it "don't boot the current version, rather boot into that last known working version".
There is nothing special about the update arriving OTA vs from physical media... that is just a question of how the new system is delivered, not of any inherent risk of applying the update.
Not many systems get this right, but many do.
So, while "modern vehicles" may fall victim to this problem, it is not because there is any inherent reason for them to do so due to being "modern".
I didn't say it was. Its just there are only a few manufacturers that understand technology in the right way to implement this properly.
Of those, none have gotten it right.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't. It just means that there are a LOT of components, all with their own firmware/software, and its hard to make things work well.

They didn’t open from the inside. But the fronts opened ok from the inside
Thanks. I eventually figured out after I posted that if you crawled in from the trunk, you probably would have tried to open the rear doors first before contorting your way into the front!

Maybe the mechanical release is front doors only (there is apparently no regulatory requirement to have it on rear doors)

As we’re in the middle of a road trip and the Nav system was annoying the hell out of me, I took the risk last night of downloading 1.2.6 over a 2-bar LTE connection in a hotel parking lot. The download went fine, although I did have to reconnect to Alexa. (Fortunately other posters had warned of this, so I remembered to look up the password before I left home.)

The Nav system is now MUCH better at finding addresses, but I haven’t yet checked most of the other features.

We are having a great driving and riding experience with the car, with only one hiccough so far. At an Electrify America recharge station yesterday the car did not recognize that charging had been stopped, and it refused to release the charger cable. I was on the phone with EA on hot tarmac at a Walmart in 103-degree heat while figuring out that I had to use the emergency mechanical cable release in such an event.

D76A009E-FC36-42FE-B968-C41111A2259C.png

took the risk last night of downloading 1.2.6 over a 2-bar LTE connection in a hotel parking lot
I updated mine in a parking garage 2 floors underground. 😂

After I started it, I thought that was a pretty stupid thing to do when the car is underground and surrounded by concrete but thankfully it updated

Computers are not new things... and updating computers is not a new thing... nor are imbedded systems (just a fancy name for a type of computer)...
There is really no valid excuse for such problems... yes, updates can fail, but if the update process is well planned out and implemented, then there is really no excuse for it "bricking" a device. A good system will allow fall back to the previous (last known working) version with a single "atomic" change to cut over from that old to the new... and the boot process should have a means to tell it "don't boot the current version, rather boot into that last known working version".
There is nothing special about the update arriving OTA vs from physical media... that is just a question of how the new system is delivered, not of any inherent risk of applying the update.
Not many systems get this right, but many do.
So, while "modern vehicles" may fall victim to this problem, it is not because there is any inherent reason for them to do so due to being "modern".
Well the update from Alex shows that it reverted back to its old firmware version so the car was working like before!

As we’re in the middle of a road trip and the Nav system was annoying the hell out of me, I took the risk last night of downloading 1.2.6 over a 2-bar LTE connection in a hotel parking lot. The download went fine, although I did have to reconnect to Alexa. (Fortunately other posters had warned of this, so I remembered to look up the password before I left home.)

The Nav system is now MUCH better at finding addresses, but I haven’t yet checked most of the other features.

We are having a great driving and riding experience with the car, with only one hiccough so far. At an Electrify America recharge station yesterday the car did not recognize that charging had been stopped, and it refused to release the charger cable. I was on the phone with EA on hot tarmac at a Walmart in 103-degree heat while figuring out that I had to use the emergency mechanical cable release in such an event.
I had to do that 4 or 5 times on my Tesla before I sold it to my sister.

The nav is pretty darn accurate for SOC% remaining when you arrive at your destination. I've tried it on different trips now over 40 miles each and it's always gotten me there either at the % or just 1% more battery used.

The nav is pretty darn accurate for SOC% remaining when you arrive at your destination. I've tried it on different trips now over 40 miles each and it's always gotten me there either at the % or just 1% more battery used.
Not 100% sure if elevation is factored into the calculation yet. When coming back from SF It was saying 12% SOC when I would arrive home. When I hit the Grapevine it went down to 7% SOC when arriving at home.

Agreed. Same experience for us

Earlier today I had a notification that 1.2.6 was available. When I returned home a couple of hours later, I no longer had that notification or any other indication that an update was available. Has 1.2.6 been withdrawn?

How do you do the emergency cable release for the charging cable?

Follow this thread:

Open the frunk, and there is a latch/release right above the charging port . You pull up on it and it releases the charging cable.

Earlier today I had a notification that 1.2.6 was available. When I returned home a couple of hours later, I no longer had that notification or any other indication that an update was available. Has 1.2.6 been withdrawn?
Check the settings cogwheel on your pilot panel. Should still be there

In MPawalek’s post #245 on this thread there is a drawing of the release lever under Step 2 of the instructions. Basically, you open the hood and pull up the black plastic tab just above the charge port.

I got a snotty little lecture from the EA “customer service” chap about not mastering every jot and tittle of the Lucid Owner’s Manual. (I had called EA as a first resort because when I tried to pull out the charger cable I noticed a large crack in the head housing, so I assumed their cable was the problem.)

In MPawalek’s post #245 on this thread there is a drawing of the release lever under Step 2 of the instructions. Basically, you open the hood and pull up the black plastic tab just above the charge port.

I got a snotty little lecture from the EA “customer service” chap about not mastering every jot and tittle of the Lucid Owner’s Manual. (I had called EA as a first resort because when I tried to pull out the charger cable I noticed a large crack in the head housing, so I assumed their cable was the problem.)
Thank you. I’m going to check out the manual release tomorrow. I have generally found EA customer service to be pretty good. The fact that I have multiple calls with them does not reflect well on the equipment.

The fact that I have multiple calls with them [Electrify America] does not reflect well on the equipment.

I have to say that the multiple charges we’ve done on this trip have gone well (the trapped charging cable was a car error, not EA). However, we did have to switch slots a couple of times because of an individual charging tower not working.

However, I still find that it lags behind the Tesla Supercharger network on a couple of scores. First, Tesla Superchargers are now so common that most people can hit the road without any forward planning for charging stops. Second, Tesla Superchargers are usually located in areas with several eating venues close by.

EA will probably rival Tesla in the number of superchargers before long and, although it’s taking a while, they’ll probably address the frequent equipment failures.

However, I’ve been surprised at the number of EA chargers that are at the outlying areas of huge WalMart and Sam’s Club parking lots with no nearby venues for taking a bathroom break or getting a bite to eat. (While you might hike over to the WalMart entrance, non Sam’s Club members are out of luck.) It seems a waste of time to have to do that business before or after charging instead of while charging. And, once a charger is installed in such a location, that’s probably going to remain the case as long as it’s in use.

And, of course, the biggest bugaboo I have about all EV charging stations of any brand is how few of them have any weather protection, Grappling with a stuck cable or a balky login in a pounding rain or sweltering heat is a real bummer. Try trying to stretch a short, thick EA cable to reach your charge port with one hand while holding an umbrella in high wind in the other. It’ll make you pine for a gas pump.

Back