1.1.7 Release Notes

I've asked about this a few times. Right now no wired data. No one has given me an definitive answer as to whether it CAN be turned on.
Same here.
A decision that makes zero sense. Why bother putting any USB ports in the car???
Power. Lots of the ports don’t carry data and instead are only for charging.

Just make them wireless...?
I wish it were that easy! A pretty sizable portion of mobile devices (phones and tablets) don't have wireless charging so it helps to provide a wired connection. One thing I wish the Air had is a wireless charging pad in the rear center armrest.

I wish it were that easy! A pretty sizable portion of mobile devices (phones and tablets) don't have wireless charging so it helps to provide a wired connection. One thing I wish the Air had is a wireless charging pad in the rear center armrest.
It's probably pretty easy to run one from the 12v in the trunk to that armrest.

Also, the front has 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB -C, the rear has 2 USB -C

It's probably pretty easy to run one from the 12v in the trunk to that armrest.

Also, the front has 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB -C, the rear has 2 USB -C
Forgot the front has a USB-A. That might be the data port (for some reason Bosch still only sells a type-A data port part instead of type-C).

Forgot the front has a USB-A. That might be the data port (for some reason Bosch still only sells a type-A data port part instead of type-C).

I have an open question to customer service about this, and I’ll post the results.

Also, service is coming to my place tomorrow to swap for the 19” wheels before my road trip, so I’ll ask them too.

I have an open question to customer service about this, and I’ll post the results.

Also, service is coming to my place tomorrow to swap for the 19” wheels before my road trip, so I’ll ask them too.
But then how will you keep posting Launch videos on Twitter...

But then how will you keep posting Launch videos on Twitter...

Yeah that got way more love than I expected, haha. But you can still launch on the 19s ;)

Also, it’s just a seasonal thing for me. For road trips, the additional range and ability to not worry about denting my wheels (and the ability to drive to Colorado through the snow) is great - but for summers I’m gonna have them swap on the 21s.

The service team only charges labor to swap them, so it’s really not a bad deal.

From service: “Per my engineering tech the ports do have intended usage for applying CarPlay and Android Auto. As of right now that is the most definitive information we have.”

Which, to me, reads like “they are wired for data but the software needs to catch up.” And if they support CarPlay/Android Auto, I’d be really surprised if they don’t eventually also add the ability to use it as an audio source, but we shall see.

Does sound like wired CarPlay is coming eventually, though.

From service: “Per my engineering tech the ports do have intended usage for applying CarPlay and Android Auto. As of right now that is the most definitive information we have.”

Which, to me, reads like “they are wired for data but the software needs to catch up.” And if they support CarPlay/Android Auto, I’d be really surprised if they don’t eventually also add the ability to use it as an audio source, but we shall see.

Does sound like wired CarPlay is coming eventually, though.

Wired CarPlay... in a 2022 car. Well that's disappointing.

I imagine they’ll have both wired and wireless as options. I prefer wired, but the point is the port has data. He did *not* say wireless CarPlay wasn’t coming also.

I prefer wired. I have issues at times in a wireless link. Sometimes the old-fashioned cables are just better!

Doesn't mean wired ONLY.
I imagine they’ll have both wired and wireless as options. I prefer wired, but the point is the port has data. He did *not* say wireless CarPlay wasn’t coming also.
I prefer wired. I have issues at times in a wireless link. Sometimes the old-fashioned cables are just better!

I just have a terrible anecdote of a wire (for Carplay) getting wrapped around my coffee mug and somehow making its way all over me... horrible memories.

Same, though the wireless link is getting better and better. I believe the issue some cars have is if the bluetooth connection has more lag than the Wi-Fi, as CarPlay uses both to function.

I just have a terrible anecdote of a wire (for Carplay) getting wrapped around my coffee mug and somehow making its way all over me... horrible memories.
Ehhhh…yeah, that’s a bad scene. Totally understand.

When I used Bluetooth in the DE it had no lag, so I’d expect wireless CarPlay will be pretty smooth.

So, customer support got back to me and said: “The USB ports is not wired for data transfer. All USB ports, in your Lucid Air Edition, will only support charging without any data transfer connectivity capability.”

So, uh, I guess we’ll see? Since service/tech says one thing and customer support says another? I asked them to reconfirm lmao.

Wired CarPlay allows you to use WiFi on your phone and does not use Bluetooth. Wireless CarPlay reserves WiFi for data traffic and uses Bluetooth to at least initiate the connection, so your phone is connected to the car via WiFi and can't access external WiFi networks.

Back