1.1.7 Release Notes

If you get a note from your dermatologist, you can go darker in the front. The law was updated to allow for exceptions due to skin conditions.
That is very good to know. Thank you!

Tint shops get this wrong a lot...for the front windshield/windows the max tint allowed is 88% with the max allowed for glazing (that's the term in the law but it just means glass) + tint at 70%. The glass itself blocks some light. If the car already has slightly tinted glass, then the shop would have to measure light transmission to determine the film tint that can be applied if you wanted to be strictly legal. Back side and rear windscreen can be as dark as you want as long as you have both side mirrors.

If you get a note from your dermatologist, you can go darker in the front. The law was updated to allow for exceptions due to skin conditions.

Yup. Of note, the first violation is a fix it ticket / warning, second is $25 and a fix it ticket, third is $197 and an infraction. No points are assessed.

Of course, if you’re an ass or the officer is having a terrible day, they may issue an infraction and $197 fine on the first offense, but it’s pretty unlikely. Also, I’ve never heard of anyone getting pulled over for it; usually you were speeding (or similar) and they give you a tint ticket to save you from the otherwise much more expensive (and point-worthy) speeding ticket.

If you black out your windows, limo-style, you can get pulled over; but to give you a ticket the officer generally requires a regulation tint meter, and most don’t even carry them.

That said, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

That is very good to know. Thank you!

Keep in mind that even if you do this, the law requires these tints are only legal during daylight hours, rendering your vehicle useless at nightfall (technically). So it’s only a “saving grace” literally half the time. :)

(Again: not a lawyer, not legal advice)

With that in mind and all the recent progress with DreamDrive, does anyone have any insight on which upcoming version is likely to activate Apple Carplay ? 1.2.?
I’ve been told 1.2 at the earliest. The right hand screen has a non standard size which limits the CarPlay screen to a perfect rectangle inside the screen.

CarPlay does work with dual-screen setups with a main screen and instrument cluster, but there could be a neat trick to it. I think Lucid wants the right hand nav screen to be the instrument cluster in CarPlay and the lower screen to be the controls. This would mean you adjust CarPlay on the lower screen and the upper one shows nav, tracks, etc. This may be why it is delayed, because CarPlay is otherwise quite straightforward to implement.

Most of my cars I've had the windows tinted 50/35. Never done the windshield, but I might do it for this one since there's so much more exposure to the sun from the front and top. I think @hydbob posted his pic's of what 70/50 looks like on his car in this post on a different thread.

I’ve been told 1.2 at the earliest. The right hand screen has a non standard size which limits the CarPlay screen to a perfect rectangle inside the screen.

CarPlay does work with dual-screen setups with a main screen and instrument cluster, but there could be a neat trick to it. I think Lucid wants the right hand nav screen to be the instrument cluster in CarPlay and the lower screen to be the controls. This would mean you adjust CarPlay on the lower screen and the upper one shows nav, tracks, etc. This may be why it is delayed, because CarPlay is otherwise quite straightforward to implement.
i could be way off here but Lucid seems to be using Flutter for building iOS/Android apps (checked their job openings a while back and they have mentions of flutter). AFAIK Flutter doesn't officially support CarPlay but there is an open source project that helps you integrate it. I'm not familiar with CarPlay development but it does seems like that's the only option right now. I don't know if Lucid's legal department is okay with using a 'random' open source project in their apps.

i could be way off here but Lucid seems to be using Flutter for building iOS/Android apps (checked their job openings a while back and they have mentions of flutter). AFAIK Flutter doesn't officially support CarPlay but there is an open source project that helps you integrate it. I'm not familiar with CarPlay development but it does seems like that's the only option right now. I don't know if Lucid's legal department is okay with using a 'random' open source project in their apps.

Neat! The open source package [1] is MIT-licensed so should pose absolutely no legal issues if they choose to use it.

[1] https://github.com/oguzhnatly/flutter_carplay

I thought Lucid was using Android Automotive for their UX?

Neat! The open source package [1] is MIT-licensed so should pose absolutely no legal issues if they choose to use it.

[1] https://github.com/oguzhnatly/flutter_carplay
yeah i saw that. they may not be comfortable using an unofficial SDK (again, i'm guessing here). i have worked with companies where their clients were not comfortable using popular third party open source libraries.

I thought Lucid was using Android Automotive for their UX?
they do. their Infotainment system is based off android. their iOS and Android apps are written in Flutter which is a 'write once, deploy it to iOS and Android' sorta framework. it's developed by Google. that framework currently doesn't natively support Apple CarPlay.

yeah i saw that. they may not be comfortable using an unofficial SDK (again, i'm guessing here). i have worked with companies where their clients were not comfortable using popular third party open source libraries.

Given how much open source they otherwise use, I’d be very surprised, but “I’m not on the inside.” :)

Also gotta love these license docs: https://www.lucidmotors.com/static/...b21eb6/lucid-in-house-licenses-v1.2_0_0_1.pdf

Every startup that ships software and isn’t *only* SaaS (my own included) ends up building their automated “put all the licenses together in one massive PDF” script at least twice. Once before they know what they’re doing, and once when they realize they need it as part of the CI/CD pipeline to catch any new FOSS projects they don’t yet have approved and licenses accounted for. :)

Last edited:

Thank you. That makes sense. I am assuming that it will be wireless. Would be a major setback if it has to be wired. I will wait impatiently and hope that it will be implemented by the time my AGT is being delivered. :)

Thank you. That makes sense. I am assuming that it will be wireless. Would be a major setback if it has to be wired. I will wait impatiently and hope that it will be implemented by the time my AGT is being delivered. :)
I have wireless CarPlay in my Taycan and absolutely hate it being wireless. A few problems (which I’m hoping are Porsches poor implementation and not CarPlay)

* when my phone is connected to the car, the network connection on the phone becomes super janky and stops loading websites a good portion of the time
* sometimes when the car is off, the phone still thinks it’s connected to CarPlay and refuses to disconnect
* connecting to CarPlay is super duper slow. I’m talking like 5-10 minutes sometimes after it connects to Bluetooth.

As for the above questions about Flutter: if the Lucid app is written in Flutter, why does that matter for CarPlay and/or Android Auto? The app is totally separate from the CarPlay/Android Auto implementation.

Interesting. It works flawlessly and connects quickly in my Audi Etron and my wife's BMW X7. I have to assume, as you said, that it's likely an issue with Porsche's implementation.

Interesting. It works flawlessly and connects quickly in my Audi Etron and my wife BMW X7. I have to assume as you said that it's likely an issue with Porsche's implementation.
It’s also the reason OTA are so important. Porsche has said “F U” to the 2020 and 2021 Taycan buyers and will not be delivering further updates to the vehicles for newer features (Android auto, nav improvements, bug fixes, etc)

I have wireless CarPlay in my Taycan and absolutely hate it being wireless. A few problems (which I’m hoping are Porsches poor implementation and not CarPlay)

* when my phone is connected to the car, the network connection on the phone becomes super janky and stops loading websites a good portion of the time
* sometimes when the car is off, the phone still thinks it’s connected to CarPlay and refuses to disconnect
* connecting to CarPlay is super duper slow. I’m talking like 5-10 minutes sometimes after it connects to Bluetooth.

As for the above questions about Flutter: if the Lucid app is written in Flutter, why does that matter for CarPlay and/or Android Auto? The app is totally separate from the CarPlay/Android Auto implementation.

It doesn’t necessarily, but their infotainment *might* also be written in Flutter. Toyota’s new infotainment systems are, for example.

It doesn’t necessarily, but their infotainment *might* also be written in Flutter. Toyota’s new infotainment systems are, for example.
Got it. The infotainment definitely has other systems embedded within it (just take a look at the settings for any of the apps, it’s 100% loading a frame)

I know I hijacked aked my own thread but any Dream Edition owners who wrapped their cars in southern California? I'm so nervous to let a shop that never worked on a Lucid wrap mine.

It’s also the reason OTA are so important. Porsche has said “F U” to the 2020 and 2021 Taycan buyers and will not be delivering further updates to the vehicles for newer features (Android auto, nav improvements, bug fixes, etc)
WTF? How is Porsche doing that not a bigger story?

I know I hijacked aked my own thread but any Dream Edition owners who wrapped their cars in southern California? I'm so nervous to let a shop that never worked on a Lucid wrap mine.
I got mine does at Autoskinz in Valencia, but that's a treck for you. I got a quote from PFS. They do A LOT of high end custom wraps and are very well known. But they are super busy and couldn't get me in for a couple months.

Back