1.1.7 Release Notes

Hope it works out. I must say the clear PPF on my Red really makes it pop. Can't imagine what the ceramic will add underneath. We'll see you coming from a ways off! :cool: Will be breathtaking.

Ceramic on top of the PPF. But yeah holy crap does it pop.

@hydbob what % and film did you do? Did you do the side windows only or also the rear? And what about the front windshield? I worry about it fading into the existing tint.

How did the shop you used handle the rear? Was it an issue?
I did 70 front windshield (1 piece) and side windows, 50 back sunroof, side windows and rear window. Went with 3M crystalline. No issues with the rear window. If I have time tomorrow i'll see if I can pull the car out into the sun and take some pics of the tint.

I did 70 front windshield (1 piece) and side windows, 50 back sunroof, side windows and rear window. Went with 3M crystalline. No issues with the rear window. If I have time tomorrow i'll see if I can pull the car out into the sun and take some pics of the tint.

Why’d you decided on 70/50 rather than like 35? Just curious.

Why’d you decided on 70/50 rather than like 35? Just curious.
My dad drives the car as well and has issues seeing out the back at night with anything darker than 50.

My dad drives the car as well and has issues seeing out the back at night with anything darker than 50.
Just curious if that tinting is legal in CA?

The 50 is fine, the front are supposed to only be 90, but 70 is close enough.

The full windshield tint actually really nice.

The 50 is fine, the front are supposed to only be 90, but 70 is close enough.

The full windshield tint actually really nice.
You mention both 70 and 50 on the side windows. I'm confused. Never tinted my windows before so don't understand.

You mention both 70 and 50 on the side windows. I'm confused. Never tinted my windows before so don't understand.

The number is how much visible light is let through. So 70 means it blocks 30% of light, 35 means it blocks 65% of light, etc.

@hydbob did 70 on the front windshield and driver and passenger windows, and 50 (so, darker) on the rear glass canopy, rear windscreen, and both rear side windows.

The number is how much visible light is let through. So 70 means it blocks 30% of light, 35 means it blocks 65% of light, etc.

@hydbob did 70 on the front windshield and driver and passenger windows, and 50 (so, darker) on the rear glass canopy, rear windscreen, and both rear side windows.

Last edited:
Ok. So inverse relationship with the tint number and % of light filtered out. So
35% would almost look opaque?

Here’s a Model S JLenin did with 35% 3M Ceramic IR all around:

He’s got more videos on his channel of various tints, too

35 is nice, but it depends on the brand how dark you can go

Here’s a Model S JLenin did with 35% 3M Ceramic IR all around:

He’s got more videos on his channel of various tints, too
Really helpful.

@Paladin732 and I asked about 1.1.7 and it was extremely clear that @Jon_Rettinger having it was very much not “approved by management” haha. Ain’t no way anybody but him is getting it for now. Thanks for beta testing it! :p

I’m also pushing them to build a beta program for those of us that like breaking our cars like me, and I know they’re talking about it internally. :)
With that in mind and all the recent progress with DreamDrive, does anyone have any insight on which upcoming version is likely to activate Apple Carplay ? 1.2.?

That was me, lol. I haven’t decided yet on the % but thinking 35%. Got a few samples I’ll test out over the next few days in some sunlight. Doing the side windows and rear window - gonna be really interesting for them to do because the windows are sort of frameless, and the rear window is *so freaking close* to the rear; hard to get a squeegee in there, but if anyone can do it it’s JLenin .

@hydbob what % and film did you do? Did you do the side windows only or also the rear? And what about the front windshield? I worry about it fading into the existing tint.

How did the shop you used handle the rear? Was it an issue?
I never considered window tinting. Maybe due to being from Chicago and most considered illegal.

Plus wearing Maui Jims makes me look cooler

Posted the tint pics here..oops

I never considered window tinting. Maybe due to being from Chicago and most considered illegal.

Plus wearing Maui Jims makes me look cooler

I hadn’t until I went on a “golden hour” drive and the sun through the side windows legitimately heated my skin and blinded me haha. Now I’m getting it tinted. :)

And Maui Jims are THE BEST. My fiancée has photophobia (light sensitivity) and used to have to squint even behind good sunglasses (like Oakleys, etc.). The “bimirror gradient” Maui Jims were the first pair of shades she doesn’t have to do that with, since it “squints for you.”

And I just love my blue mirror :)

Tint shops get this wrong a lot...for the front windshield/windows the max tint allowed is 88% with the max allowed for glazing (that's the term in the law but it just means glass) + tint at 70%. The glass itself blocks some light. If the car already has slightly tinted glass, then the shop would have to measure light transmission to determine the film tint that can be applied if you wanted to be strictly legal. Back side and rear windscreen can be as dark as you want as long as you have both side mirrors.

If you get a note from your dermatologist, you can go darker in the front. The law was updated to allow for exceptions due to skin conditions.

Back