• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Wind noise

In the past, I've used masking tape on the outside of the car to track down where the wind noise was. Like @bobofat, I then used some weather stripping to cover the leak.
I was gonna do that, tape off sections and have someone else use a leaf blower to isolate the air leaks, but didn't have someone to help me at the time, so I just put it along the entire front door jam. I'll take a pic later and post. I think i may need to add a little more.

Apologies for cross-posting, but I just came across this thread. As noted below, in a very unscientific test I measured road noise within the cabin of my AGT at 80mph on Central Expy in Dallas using an Apple Watch.

55 - 58 dB for the Lucid.

Apologies for cross-posting, but I just came across this thread. As noted below, in a very unscientific test I measured road noise within the cabin of my AGT at 80mph on Central Expy in Dallas using an Apple Watch.

55 - 58 dB for the Lucid.

That’s a remarkably low reading! Very low, especially considering that adding to the wind noise, Dallas’s cement paved freeways are about the noisiest in the country.

That’s a remarkably low reading! Very low, especially considering that adding to the wind noise, Dallas’s cement paved freeways are about the noisiest in the country.
I would agree. And I believe the numbers, given my limited experience driving on highways the past week or so. Will have to take some measurements myself.

Today, John a mobile tech from Tampa came out and drove my car. Been complaining about wind noise since my September delivery. Driver side mirror, no air getting into the cabin. John found the black molding at the top of the hood was not tight just in front of the driver mirror. We came back, put painter’s tape over the area and presto quiet at 50 mph and above. Part on order. Hopefully this might help someone else. Many thanks to John.

Today, John a mobile tech from Tampa came out and drove my car. Been complaining about wind noise since my September delivery. Driver side mirror, no air getting into the cabin. John found the black molding at the top of the hood was not tight just in front of the driver mirror. We came back, put painter’s tape over the area and presto quiet at 50 mph and above. Part on order. Hopefully this might help someone else. Many thanks to John.
Rich, could you please post a couple of pics to show exactly which area that was? Thanks!

I suspect this wind noise issue will be much like the folks who kept reporting blown speakers or complete lack of bottom end in their sound systems. The people who aren’t experiencing it are left dumbfounded as to how anyone could think there was a problem. While those who have it are convinced the design of the car is seriously flawed.

I’ve driven enough at 80 mph to know my car is definitely quite quiet inside. If you are hearing a lot of noise at high speed, there’s likely a problem that Lucid needs to fix on your specific car.

Mine is very quiet except for what seems like a lot of wind noise near the driver's side mirror.

Rich, could you please post a couple of pics to show exactly which area that was? Thanks!
Oh boy, testing my tech skill, which is zero😂

Attachments

• B5072BEC-05EF-40B3-89B6-BDC7312B9F5F.jpeg
    B5072BEC-05EF-40B3-89B6-BDC7312B9F5F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 204
  • A879885E-DF31-4D14-AFF0-61966BF526C6.jpeg
    A879885E-DF31-4D14-AFF0-61966BF526C6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 176

Attachments

• A6E9362D-55B3-4180-BC31-B2EC76758D93.jpeg
    A6E9362D-55B3-4180-BC31-B2EC76758D93.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 152
  • 6F2F33CC-38EA-4F47-A0DF-D617E2B67853.jpeg
    6F2F33CC-38EA-4F47-A0DF-D617E2B67853.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 152
Okay the first picture try to show how close to the mirror. Second picture, you can see a bit of light between the strip and the hood. That is the issue. John said the strip can not be tightened, must be replaced.

Okay the first picture try to show how close to the mirror. Second picture, you can see a bit of light between the strip and the hood. That is the issue. John said the strip can not be tightened, must be replaced.
Sorry posted twice. Warned you about my tech skills. Comments relate to the second set of pictures.

Thanks for pointing it out; can see it in picture 2.

Glass is a very hard acoustic reflector. I suspect the expanse of the glass canopy has something to do with Lucid's interior noise.

Besides the Air, we have a Model S Plaid -- roughly the same size as the Air, riding on 21" tires like our Air, with a full glass roof like the Air, but with active noise cancellation and acoustic glass, neither of which the Air has. The Air's interior is notably quieter than Plaid's (and also quieter than our Honda Odyssey Elite, for that matter, which has part-spectrum active noise cancellation and acoustic glass.)
Man you have all my cars lol :
Honda odyssey, Plaid, and someday a Lucid.
Curious if you ever written a post about In depth driving dynamics on all these. I keep trying to find an ev that can replace the Honda odyssey but I just love it’s utility for 3 kids so much hard to give up.

Man you have all my cars lol :
Honda odyssey, Plaid, and someday a Lucid.
Curious if you ever written a post about In depth driving dynamics on all these. I keep trying to find an ev that can replace the Honda odyssey but I just love it’s utility for 3 kids so much hard to give up.

I've posted quite a bit about the driving dynamics of the Air compared to the Plaid. In a nutshell, the Air's ride is more compliant and its handling more precise than the Tesla's. Although the Plaid feels (and is) quicker under hard acceleration from a stop, a lot of that advantage is lost to the Plaid's greater tendency for the front end to get loose while the Air stays more planted. In effect, more of the Air's prodigious acceleration is usable. When accelerating from speed (over 50 mph), the Air feels just as quick as the Tesla. Also, due in part to its wider tires, the Plaid is a bit more susceptible to tram lining on certain roads.

However, the difference that overshadows all others in driving the cars is the yoke vs. a steering wheel. Reactions to the yoke tend to be polar, and I am among the cadre that hates it. I find it difficult to use when doing the U-turns that are common on Florida's divided highways that require a right turn followed by a U-turn through a median to go left. I also find it tiring after a while, as there are fewer ways to grasp it to give your hands and arms some relief. And then there are those miserable turn signal buttons that, for some strange reason, are both on one side of the wheel.

As for the Honda Odyssey, it is easily the best-handling and best-driving large vehicle I have owned or driven, including several SUV's we've rented on trips. We have family members who visit and who have their own minivans at home. Those that don't own Hondas are astonished at the its pep and how well the thing handles. Having owned two Honda Odysseys, I am absolutely mystified why they aren't more popular and why sliding rear doors were the object of such dismissiveness in the car press for years. They are absolutely the easiest and most practical way of getting into and out of a vehicle -- especially in tight spaces -- that I have ever seen.

I have had a reservation for a Rivian R1S since February 2019 and just got notice last week that it was time for final configuration. It was intended as the replacement for our Honda, but now that the Rivian is in the hands of reviewers, it seems the third-row seat will not have the room we need for the older adults who are often our passengers. So now I'm waiting to see what the Lucid Gravity brings to the 7-passenger world.

I've posted quite a bit about the driving dynamics of the Air compared to the Plaid. In a nutshell, the Air's ride is more compliant and its handling more precise than the Tesla's. Although the Plaid feels (and is) quicker under hard acceleration from a stop, a lot of that advantage is lost to the Plaid's greater tendency for the front end to get loose while the Air stays more planted. In effect, more of the Air's prodigious acceleration is usable. When accelerating from speed (over 50 mph), the Air feels just as quick as the Tesla. Also, due in part to its wider tires, the Plaid is a bit more susceptible to tram lining on certain roads.

However, the difference that overshadows all others in driving the cars is the yoke vs. a steering wheel. Reactions to the yoke tend to be polar, and I am among the cadre that hates it. I find it difficult to use when doing the U-turns that are common on Florida's divided highways that require a right turn followed by a U-turn through a median to go left. I also find it tiring after a while, as there are fewer ways to grasp it to give your hands and arms some relief. And then there are those miserable turn signal buttons that, for some strange reason, are both on one side of the wheel.

As for the Honda Odyssey, it is easily the best-handling and best-driving large vehicle I have owned or driven, including several SUV's we've rented on trips. We have family members who visit and who have their own minivans at home. Those that don't own Hondas are astonished at the its pep and how well the thing handles. Having owned two Honda Odysseys, I am absolutely mystified why they aren't more popular and why sliding rear doors were the object of such dismissiveness in the car press for years. They are absolutely the easiest and most practical way of getting into and out of a vehicle -- especially in tight spaces -- that I have ever seen.

I have had a reservation for a Rivian R1S since February 2019 and just got notice last week that it was time for final configuration. It was intended as the replacement for our Honda, but now that the Rivian is in the hands of reviewers, it seems the third-row seat will not have the room we need for the older adults who are often our passengers. So now I'm waiting to see what the Lucid Gravity brings to the 7-passenger world.
There are no full size suvs... I am hoping for the escalade ev in addition to the lucid.

I drove down this weekend about a hundred miles on the garden state parkway. At higher speeds you definitely get some decent wind noise in the cabin. I can also feel some air coming in through the drivers door either from the window or the door seal.

I also encountered the issue during our drive where the sound lost all its bass and bottom end. After a couple attempts of getting out of the car, Locking and going back in it resolved itself.

I’m somewhat disappointed with the range, on the way going I got average 2.5mi/kw on the way back I got 2.2mi/kw. I was driving on 85 the entire way, granted that’s a little fast and the temp was in the 30’s, still a little below my expectations.

As far as ride comfort and handling, the rear passengers were getting motion sick on both ways, I was not punching it hard at all it seems like rear pass feel a lot of body movement. The suspension is a little to plush for my liking, it feels a little licolnish to me. For comparison, my Audi Q7 gives a more stiff ride but is more preferable then the boaty feeling of the town car softness. Steering feel is not as precise as my Audi Q7 either even though that is more soft it is still more precise IMO, it also feels more buttery.

If anyone has had service look at the wind noice and air penetration issues, and were able to get a proper resolution please let us know what fix they applied.

I drove down this weekend about a hundred miles on the garden state parkway. At higher speeds you definitely get some decent wind noise in the cabin. I can also feel some air coming in through the drivers door either from the window or the door seal.

I also encountered the issue during our drive where the sound lost all its bass and bottom end. After a couple attempts of getting out of the car, Locking and going back in it resolved itself.

I’m somewhat disappointed with the range, on the way going I got average 2.5mi/kw on the way back I got 2.2mi/kw. I was driving on 85 the entire way, granted that’s a little fast and the temp was in the 30’s, still a little below my expectations.

As far as ride comfort and handling, the rear passengers were getting motion sick on both ways, I was not punching it hard at all it seems like rear pass feel a lot of body movement. The suspension is a little to plush for my liking, it feels a little licolnish to me. For comparison, my Audi Q7 gives a more stiff ride but is more preferable then the boaty feeling of the town car softness. Steering feel is not as precise as my Audi Q7 either even though that is more soft it is still more precise IMO, it also feels more buttery.

If anyone has had service look at the wind noice and air penetration issues, and were able to get a proper resolution please let us know what fix they applied.
If wind is literally blowing into your car through the windows, that could certainly be impacting range. Something is wrong with the insulation on your doors, it seems.

Back