Wind noise

Could you take a pic of the spot you’re talking about that the service tech adjusted, or that was misaligned? I’m curious but had a hard time visualizing it based on your description. Also, I did try @Bobby trick of lubricating the seals (including the windshield and glass roof seals!) from his YouTube video. While my car did not suffer from the excessive wind noise some have described here, mine did have some buffeting seeming to come from the drivers door corner near the mirror, and Bobby’s fix did noticeably reduce the noise, not making it zero but it did reduce it more than I expected. Before that I had tried stuffing a microfiber towel in the corner by the mirror with zero improvement. This makes me think that the airflow is not going in via an isolated gap, but rather the air is going over some unevenness that develops over time with the numerous seals along the entire door/window/glass roof creating a hard to localize perception of wind noise. At least for my car I really do not mind the wind noise I had before I tried @Bobby fix, it just made me think of a glider flying through the Air. But it does sound like a few owners are having more dramatic air noise issues than my car.

Per your request, here is a photo of the black strip I am talking about. With the door closed, pushing on the top of it will roll the strip a little closer to the body of the car. The objective is to gets the strip on the passenger door to stick out no further than the same strip does on the driver door, but it will also push the horizontal rubber gasket behind it a little closer to the body frame. If you actually open the door and roll it gently with both hands, you get more movement than you would if you just push on it with the door closed. While my service tech seemed to think that the improvement was due to a cleaner air flow, I think it's at least equally possible that getting that rubber seal in a little tighter may have had the bigger positive effect. Whatever the cause and effect, at least in my case, it seemed to help.

Attachments

• 40866.jpeg
    40866.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 89
While walking towards my car around sunset this shadow stood out..! Is this the smoking gun for my wind noise issues? Thoughts and comments please? Could this be causing my wind noise or buffeting!?

1000041723.jpg
1000041725.jpg
1000041726.jpg

Attachments

• 1000041722.jpg
    1000041722.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Adjust the striker.
Don't know how to do it ..I unscrewed the screws which have tight tolerances..and other than screwing it back in..not sure what else to do differently

Adjust the striker.
I did this and moved the striker in and even gently bent an inch long piece of my door today with pliers so now it sits perfectly flush with the rear door panel. And though I've only driven on street roads not highway, the WIND NOISE SEEMS MUCH BETTER..I'd say up to 70% reduction...can't wait to take it on the freeway for a proper test...thanks @Bobby !

I did this and moved the striker in and even gently bent an inch long piece of my door today with pliers so now it sits perfectly flush with the rear door panel. And though I've only driven on street roads not highway, the WIND NOISE SEEMS MUCH BETTER..I'd say up to 70% reduction...can't wait to take it on the freeway for a proper test...thanks @Bobby !
Took it on the freeway and tested at various speeds..while not 100% eliminated, the wind noise is now much less of an issue... previously I'd start hearing it at as low as 45mph..but now it doesn't make a sound until I hit say 70mps or so...which is huge for me...definitely it was the movement of the striker that helped out and I also ensured in a dark garage with an a flashlight that the shadow of the front door edge were perfectly in line with the read door panel...took a few mins..but now the car is much more in line with my expectations..

Can't believe you did that yourself, but damn good on you to finally spot that.

Can't believe you did that yourself, but damn good on you to finally spot that.
Desperate times called for desperate measures. Wanted to record all of this for posterity however in case someone else benefits from it down the road. Dealing with this however, made me appreciate how truly difficult it is to build a quality car...This event made me respect Lucid and all other car manufacturers a whole lot more.

The one truly disappointing thing though was that its been a month since I've been emailing Lucid service reps with zero response to two of my emails spread 15 days apart about this issue. I'd not seen that from them before.

Can you walk us thru with pictures what you did? I do have some air sound in back driverside door.

Desperate times called for desperate measures. Wanted to record all of this for posterity however in case someone else benefits from it down the road. Dealing with this however, made me appreciate how truly difficult it is to build a quality car...This event made me respect Lucid and all other car manufacturers a whole lot more.

The one truly disappointing thing though was that its been a month since I've been emailing Lucid service reps with zero response to two of my emails spread 15 days apart about this issue. I'd not seen that from them before.
Texts seem to work better

Can you walk us thru with pictures what you did? I do have some air sound in back driverside door.
Sure, I'll try and get to it soon..give me a few days...but first step I did was to turn the lights off in the garage, and used a flashlight to run it a few inches behind the door edge to determine which areas were sitting too proud of the panel. Then I marked it with a dry erase marker. Then I unscrewed the door striker, and with the bolts quite loose, I was able to move the striker a couple of millimeters in towards the cabin of the car. I used my wife's help to hold the striker steady as I screwed it back in. This allows the door to close more 'tightly' if that makes sense and eliminated the door sitting too proud against the other panel. Once I was satisfied that the door panels are flush, it made a drastic difference in the wind noise/buffeting. REfer to some of my photos in a few posts prior to this one to see what it looked like 'before'.

I'm unable to find a mention of the available warranty service related to wind noise, so here's my $0.02.

Today I took my AGT to Beverly Hills SC and was assisted by the very able Matthew. My concern was that the rear driver's side door black trim, at the top, had bent and needed to be removed to operate the door, and the rubber gasket structure holding it and affixing the gasket to the door was loose. There was also substantial wind noise at that location. Matt offered that the trim probably bent because the movement in the gasked allowed the trim to contact the front door, which was consistent with my observation at the time of the failure.

Matt explained that the original design had that top edge molding and gasket secured by just a pressure fit, but there is a fix that involves using positive attachment with clips. He said his team would apply the clips not only to the failed door but to all the doors, and that I could expect better quiet. This would be a no-charge warranty correction.

If anyone else has either a rocking/loose top door gasket or excessive wind noise, you might inquire regarding this correction.

Sure, I'll try and get to it soon..give me a few days...but first step I did was to turn the lights off in the garage, and used a flashlight to run it a few inches behind the door edge to determine which areas were sitting too proud of the panel. Then I marked it with a dry erase marker. Then I unscrewed the door striker, and with the bolts quite loose, I was able to move the striker a couple of millimeters in towards the cabin of the car. I used my wife's help to hold the striker steady as I screwed it back in. This allows the door to close more 'tightly' if that makes sense and eliminated the door sitting too proud against the other panel. Once I was satisfied that the door panels are flush, it made a drastic difference in the wind noise/buffeting. REfer to some of my photos in a few posts prior to this one to see what it looked like 'before'.
That’s excellent that fix worked for you. The only caution I would add is that my very quiet March 2022 built GT perhaps had the doors a little too flush, as opening the rear door caused the rear door rocker panel trim to catch on the front door trim and snap loudly. Lucid replaced if under warranty, but just check very closely when you open the rear door to make sure it’s not grazing the front door anywhere!

That’s excellent that fix worked for you. The only caution I would add is that my very quiet March 2022 built GT perhaps had the doors a little too flush, as opening the rear door caused the rear door rocker panel trim to catch on the front door trim and snap loudly. Lucid replaced if under warranty, but just check very closely when you open the rear door to make sure it’s not grazing the front door anywhere!
I just checked this..and we're golden.. :D

I'm unable to find a mention of the available warranty service related to wind noise, so here's my $0.02.

Today I took my AGT to Beverly Hills SC and was assisted by the very able Matthew. My concern was that the rear driver's side door black trim, at the top, had bent and needed to be removed to operate the door, and the rubber gasket structure holding it and affixing the gasket to the door was loose. There was also substantial wind noise at that location. Matt offered that the trim probably bent because the movement in the gasked allowed the trim to contact the front door, which was consistent with my observation at the time of the failure.

Matt explained that the original design had that top edge molding and gasket secured by just a pressure fit, but there is a fix that involves using positive attachment with clips. He said his team would apply the clips not only to the failed door but to all the doors, and that I could expect better quiet. This would be a no-charge warranty correction.

If anyone else has either a rocking/loose top door gasket or excessive wind noise, you might inquire regarding this correction.
Are you able to share photos of these clips? I'm taking the car in again for wind noise persisting. While not as bad as before it's still notb100% gone so am gonna try and get these clips installed.

Are you able to share photos of these clips? I'm taking the car in again for wind noise persisting. While not as bad as before it's still notb100% gone so am gonna try and get these clips installed.
I’m working on and testing a DIY solution. Video soon.

The clips are internal and there isn't a great way to access them without taking apart the assembly. Sorry. But just to restate: my SC rep said this was a warranty repair that is available to anyone experiencing difficulties. And while I had just one door that had actually failed, they took the initiative to fix all four doors. Good service.

The clips are internal and there isn't a great way to access them without taking apart the assembly. Sorry. But just to restate: my SC rep said this was a warranty repair that is available to anyone experiencing difficulties. And while I had just one door that had actually failed, they took the initiative to fix all four doors. Good service.
Thanks for this response @AltadenaAir ... I reached out to my service advisor and she's confirmed that I can get these clips installed ..I'm taking it in for service in two weeks..so fingers crossed that this issue goes away for me.. anyway, just wanted to express gratitude for you sharing about the clips. I appreciate it!

Back