What is the best way to come off ACC with High Regen?

GMan

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
60T8OVVK
If you are configured for High Regen, and are using ACC, what do you think is the best way to come off cruise control without risking getting rear-ended?

I've used ACC a couple of times and coming off it has resulted in strong deceleration due to the high regen. I feel like I'm pretty susceptible to getting rear-ended because unlike ICE where you can tap the break and the car glides, that approach doesn't work here.

The only thing I could come up with was to perform the following sequence:
  1. accelerate faster than my cruise speed and while keeping my foot on the accelerator,
  2. simultaneously cancel ACC and then gently slow down by lifting off the accelerator.
That's slightly cumbersome and unless done with precise execution, and can result in a less than optimal experience for the driver and passengers.

Any suggestions on how to best come off ACC gracefully?

What you came up with is the way to do it.

Lightly step on the accelerator until you're just faster than the set speed to gently override HA. Keeping your foot there, turn off HA. Then slow down normally. It's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

What you came up with is the way to do it.

Lightly step on the accelerator until you're just faster than the set speed to gently override HA. Keeping your foot there, turn off HA. Then slow down normally. It's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it.
Agreed. With a couple of times of practice I was able to make for a smooth transition. I find I don't need to accelerate to faster than the set ACC speed, just push down on the pedal to a point relatively close to where it would be if ACC were off, then cancel ACC or HA. The rapid deceleration comes when your foot is not at all on the pedal.

It really becomes intuitive. Simultaneously cancel ACC and maintain neutral accelerator. Thus becomes totally seamless single pedal driving with imperceptible transition from ACC to manual max regen control.

Reactions: RCP
This is super helpful as I ran into the same problem this last weekend. I tried switching to standard regen while on the highway and that seemed too aggressive still. I'll give this method a go next time I'm on the highway.

Agreed. With a couple of times of practice I was able to make for a smooth transition. I find I don't need to accelerate to faster than the set ACC speed, just push down on the pedal to a point relatively close to where it would be if ACC were off, then cancel ACC or HA. The rapid deceleration comes when your foot is not at all on the pedal.
Just curious, are you able to tell the right point by the increasing resistance of the pedal? I'm starting to try that. My right foot is still learning :)

Just curious, are you able to tell the right point by the increasing resistance of the pedal? I'm starting to try that. My right foot is still learning :)
Just push the accelerator until you see override then hit x and cancel it.

I just push down to "about" the right spot and cancel ACC/HA. I don't watch for the "Override" indicator. It isn't perfect but works well enough ... you only get the strong deceleration when your foot is completely off the pedal.

Back