Adapting to Regenerative Braking

Even though I am a "spirited" driver, I take great pains not to tailgate. So even in heavy stop-and-go traffic with intermittent accelerator punches when I can, I usually make my Lucid and Tesla trips without ever once touching the brake pedal, even when pulling into a parking space or my garage. I find it very easy to modulate one-pedal driving that precisely in either car. (It may be that the car sometimes transitions to friction braking, but I cannot sense it.)
Do you use creep mode? I agree with you except for the last 30 inches of any drive. Pulling up to a high curb or wall is still very jerky for me after 7000 miles.

Do you use creep mode? I agree with you except for the last 30 inches of any drive. Pulling up to a high curb or wall is still very jerky for me after 7000 miles.

Nope on the creep mode. It was one of the artifacts of an ICE torque converter with which I was glad to dispense.

This is the crux of it for me. I keep getting lectured on what's more efficient, what saves more energy, blah blah. Who gives a crap? It feels better to use regen with 1-pedal driving for me. Why would I want to move my foot back and forth over two different pedals when I can just modulate the pressure on one?

If others prefer using their brake pedal, go for it. Don't let me tell you what to do. But I highly encourage anyone who has never tried 1-pedal to give it a few days.
I had gotten into this argument/discussion with a guy who's a committed ICE buyer. He'll never go EV unless forced to. After extolling the virtues of EVs, I mentioned the side benefit of one pedal driving and how much I loved it and found it so much less tiring when in traffic. He responded with a 'nah, not for me'. I asked him why and he insisted after so many years of driving ICE vehicles he much preferred modulating the brake himself. He claimed he had driven his son's Tesla and didn't like the one pedal driving. When I mentioned he just might need a bit more time to acclimate, I was greeted with the 3rd or 4th 'nah'.

Too many 'nahs', so I just gave up.

I have the same problem. I think it is the ADAS systems trying to take over. I have come to the conclusion that it is something I have to live with unless I want to turn off all the ADAS systems.

I have the same problem. I think it is the ADAS systems trying to take over. I have come to the conclusion that it is something I have to live with unless I want to turn off all the ADAS systems.
If I ruled the world, Creep Mode would automatically enable for pulling into my garage, disable otherwise. That last bit of finessed positioning is easy in CM. I saw a new Tesla owner, first day, pull into a parking space at work ... and through the parking space and through the fender and hood of the car in the space in front of her. Oops, too heavy on the pedal.

Canceling HA or ACC is definitely a learned skill. But it makes sense. With 1-pedal driving, lifting your foot off the accelerator completely will cause the car to decelerate until it stops. With no foot on that pedal when you cancel, the car does what it would do if you lifted your foot off completely while driving at that speed.

So the trick is to start, despite intuition, by pressing down on the accelerator until you get to the point where you would need to be in order to achieve your current speed. Or at least have it down far enough that the initial regen will be minimal. Then press the X button on the steering wheel. Then slowly lift off the pedal again, as you normally would.

It’s not that hard, once you get used to it. Becomes second nature, like downshifting a manual transmission. But if you are used to disengaging cruise control via the brake pedal, it’ll be a bit of a learning curve.
@joec I usually disengage ACC on my Mercedes and Audi via the switch. So this is a very good suggestion, thanks!
I have noticed that if you look at the square "adaptive cruise" sign above the cruise indicator on the dash, it will go from bright to dark when your foot gets the accelerator within about 5 mph of the set speed. Once you are there, deactivating cruise control is fairly smooth.
@girolamo great tip, thanks! I will look for this

For overriding the ACC, I have not noticed it disengage prior to accelerating. Becasue of the power and torque of the car, acceleration when overriding ACC feels a bit jerky.

For canceling ACC, it takes practice to get the right amount a pressure at the right time on the electron pedal to make it smooth. I have had my car 11 months and still every once in a while I cancel ACC or HA and get that rapid deceleration. I think the driver behind me must wonder what the heck is wrong with me. It will get easier with practice.
"The electron pedal", I love it!

"The electron pedal", I love it!
Regenerative one foot driving is a snap. With an artificial foot and knee I had my reservations and guess what? I found it to be the easiest driver I have encountered. The brain adapts to new conditions and learns new behaviors. A snap

If I ruled the world, Creep Mode would automatically enable for pulling into my garage, disable otherwise. That last bit of finessed positioning is easy in CM. I saw a new Tesla owner, first day, pull into a parking space at work ... and through the parking space and through the fender and hood of the car in the space in front of her. Oops, too heavy on the pedal.

Doesn't T have collision avoidance braking?

I was pulling my GV 60 into the garage and it thought I was a bit too aggressive and braked for me.

Regenerative one foot driving is a snap. With an artificial foot and knee I had my reservations and guess what? I found it to be the easiest driver I have encountered. The brain adapts to new conditions and learns new behaviors. A snap
I think the hardest part will be switching back and forth between my ICE SUV and the Lucid. All the more incentive to get a Gravity, I suppose!

I got used to max regen and stopping gradually by the time I drove from Millbrae to San Mateo Bridge when I took delivery and I used the default smooth mode. No one had car sickness when I was driving 500 miles so far. Perhaps my electric golf cart driving experience for years is the reason.
Is your handicap on par with your golf cart driving experience?

With my luck this 23 handicap just asked a scratch golfer that question 🙃

The last 30" of the drive takes the longest to get accustomed to, at 5,700 miles I am close to having it mastered only because I spend I spend a lot of time parking in tight spots; but with that said I'm not sure I will ever have it truly mastered.
I had gotten into this argument/discussion with a guy who's a committed ICE buyer. He'll never go EV unless forced to. After extolling the virtues of EVs, I mentioned the side benefit of one pedal driving and how much I loved it and found it so much less tiring when in traffic. He responded with a 'nah, not for me'. I asked him why and he insisted after so many years of driving ICE vehicles he much preferred modulating the brake himself. He claimed he had driven his son's Tesla and didn't like the one pedal driving. When I mentioned he just might need a bit more time to acclimate, I was greeted with the 3rd or 4th 'nah'.

Too many 'nahs', so I just gave up.
Every"nah" correlates to increased skull density.

The last 30" of the drive takes the longest to get accustomed to, at 5,700 miles I am close to having it mastered only because I spend I spend a lot of time parking in tight spots; but with that said I'm not sure I will ever have it truly mastered.

Every"nah" correlates to increased skull density.
So very true!

I like the regenerative braking in the Taycan a lot better. You can use the accelerator pedal with no regen whatsoever but 95% of the braking is regenerative when you press on the brake pedal. It doesn't feel like regenerative braking at all, but it is.

I like the regenerative braking in the Taycan a lot better. You can use the accelerator pedal with no regen whatsoever but 95% of the braking is regenerative when you press on the brake pedal. It doesn't feel like regenerative braking at all, but it is.
Same with the Jaguar.

Is your handicap on par with your golf cart driving experience?

With my luck this 23 handicap just asked a scratch golfer that question 🙃
I am happy to get occasionally a par and not do worse than a double bogey on 9 holes. When I play 18 holes perhaps once a month I am happy if i do under 100. BTW I use mgi x
Zip navigator my RWD ev with remote control and walk. OK now we are getting off topic here 🤣

I am also a fan of high regenerative braking and almost never use the regular brakes. However I do want to remind folks to switch to standard regen if there is any chance of ice. A few weeks ago I was driving on a mostly clear roadway (plowed, salted, but temp of 25F), and when navigating entry into a rotary with traffic, high regen braking sent me into a skid (must have been a patch of black ice). Fortunately other cars saw me and stopped. Although no accident occurred, it’s a lesson I won’t forget. Of course I can’t say for sure it wouldn’t have happened on low regen, but I would place my bets on the anti-lock feature of regular braking over regen braking when road ice is possible.

I am also a fan of high regenerative braking and almost never use the regular brakes. However I do want to remind folks to switch to standard regen if there is any chance of ice. A few weeks ago I was driving on a mostly clear roadway (plowed, salted, but temp of 25F), and when navigating entry into a rotary with traffic, high regen braking sent me into a skid (must have been a patch of black ice). Fortunately other cars saw me and stopped. Although no accident occurred, it’s a lesson I won’t forget. Of course I can’t say for sure it wouldn’t have happened on low regen, but I would place my bets on the anti-lock feature of regular braking over regen braking when road ice is possible.
Good reminder. They do officially recommend this in the manual.

Anyone have situations on high Regen where you take your foot off the accelerator and nothing happens? I see the needle move over to the charging side but my car does not significantly slow down. This only happens at higher speeds and only once in a while.
Was this ever resolved for you? I have had the issue the past week where the regenerative brakes do not seem to engage above 30 mph (even though the needle shows charging).

Back