• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

What are you replacing your 21" Pirelli tires with?

cyberwife

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
We have replaced one blown out tire and have two tires with sidewall damage and one with a repair from a large nail - so we are "living on a prayer" with these tires at just 3,000 miles on the car. UGH. I would like to know what you have found out there to replace the 21" Pirelli's with for the Air Grand Touring. These original tires are really an Achilles heal- guess this car is a museum piece, rather than a daily driver.

Mine’s my daily driver. Will hit 10,000 miles any day now. Original tires.

We have replaced one blown out tire and have two tires with sidewall damage and one with a repair from a large nail - so we are "living on a prayer" with these tires at just 3,000 miles on the car. UGH. I would like to know what you have found out there to replace the 21" Pirelli's with for the Air Grand Touring. These original tires are really an Achilles heal- guess this car is a museum piece, rather than a daily driver.
18k miles on original tires, you are having some bad luck.

Have a bubble in one of my Pirelli's on the 21" after 1K, thus went to order a replacement via Discount Tire. Guess what? National shortage - 90 day wait. Am I assuming correctly that we have no alternatives?

Guess it depends on where you drive. In NJ I am down 3 of the original 4 tires with 3600 miles. I am scared to take the car out after being stranded on the highway for several hours after my last blowout. There are no other tires that meet the original 21" specifications so we are waiting for Michelin to release something. I would never get a Pirelli tire ever again.

Have a bubble in one of my Pirelli's on the 21" after 1K, thus went to order a replacement via Discount Tire. Guess what? National shortage - 90 day wait. Am I assuming correctly that we have no alternatives?
Other owners have had luck using the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

11k, had two front replacements from a major pothole on I-15 on way back from Vegas. After warranty covering those, still going strong and got a discount tire warranty.

Also if that massive pothole wasn't there, I'd still be on original tires.

11k, had two front replacements from a major pothole on I-15 on way back from Vegas. After warranty covering those, still going strong and got a discount tire warranty.

Amazing you had someone honor the warranty. I have had zero luck getting anyone to honor the warranty even though Pirelli said they would cover it no Pirelli dealer in my area will accept the claim.

At this point I think we have learned that neither Pirelli nor Lucid is going to cover replacement of a tire damaged by a road hazard. I suggest we all purchase a warranty from Discount Tire or similar and have some sort of roadside assistance available to us.

At this point I think we have learned that neither Pirelli nor Lucid is going to cover replacement of a tire damaged by a road hazard. I suggest we all purchase a warranty from Discount Tire or similar and have some sort of roadside assistance available to us.
And with a potential delay of getting a replacement, an EZ Spare as well.

So apparently the Sapphire will come with Michelin Sport 4S tires and it is heavier than the Lucid Air models, so why won't that tire work???

From https://www.lucidupdates.com FAQ section:

Some 21" wheel owners have had sidewall bulges and tears due to road hazard and have opined that other tire brands may be more resilient. Some have suggested fitting Michelin PS4 tires to the vehicle.

Regarding tire bulges and blowouts: neither Lucid nor Pirelli will warranty against road hazards. It is highly recommended to purchase an aftermarket warranty from Discount Tire/America's Tire. COst is about $60 per tire. Some have also secured aftermarket roadside assistance for this.

Below is information about 21” tire load rating (older system) and load index (newer and more specific, see link below for more information on these).

Pirelli (approved by Lucid)
Load rating: XL
Front load index: 99 (1709lb per side = 3418lb)
Rear load index: 103 (1929lb per side = 3858lb)
Total load rating: 7276lb

Michelin PS4
Front load index: 96 (1565lb per side = 3130lb)
Rear load index: 101 (1819lb per side = 3638lb)
Total load index: 6768lb

Vehicle weight is 5236lb so:
-Pirellis allow for 2040lb of passengers and cargo.
-Michelins allow for 1532lb of passengers and cargo.

The 20" tires on the Touring are Michelin PS EV which are load index 99. This tire is not available in the 21" size for Lucid.

How do you get a warranty? Lucid said no warranty is offered on the tires. And pirelli said pot holes and road hazards are not covered anyway.

How do you get a warranty? Lucid said no warranty is offered on the tires. And pirelli said pot holes and road hazards are not covered anyway.
I think I was early. Lucid and Pirelli covered my tires for free.

I got discount tire warranty afterwards on all 4 as @Bobby said

Go to your local Discount Tire and buy it.

Note that Discount tire and America's Tire are the same company, and both have a generally good reputation.

You can also order the tires yourself from Tire Rack, the online affiliate of Discount Tire/Tire Rack. If you do, they come with a free two-year road hazard warranty. Tire Rack will recommend local installers for tires you purchase. Tires can be shipped to your home or directly to the installer.

Costco also offers a free road hazard warranty with tires purchased and installed there.

BTW sidewall damage is a common problem with 30/35 apeact ratio tires on all cars. It's not unique to Lucid. I chose the 19" wheels for my GT, not because I like their looks, but because I didn't want to worry on long road trips.

Attachments

• Tesla tire bulge.png
    Tesla tire bulge.png
    759.3 KB · Views: 131
So apparently the Sapphire will come with Michelin Sport 4S tires and it is heavier than the Lucid Air models, so why won't that tire work???
It is entirely possible Michelin will eventually release a tire that has a higher load rating, or perhaps Sapphire owners will just have to accept the lower possible load. Sapphire isn't going to be selling as a "family car" after all.

I believe there are at least 2 other "Pirelli" threads somewhere on the forum that have a lot of insight about the "bubble". I just got "the bubble" (a month ago) & reached out to Pirelli, then to Lucid, then to America's Tires and back to Lucid. Pirelli (with Lucid's urging) is giving me a "good will" tire that I'm paying for labor/tax. Happening tomorrow so should have back on Friday and more details

I believe there are at least 2 other "Pirelli" threads somewhere on the forum that have a lot of insight about the "bubble". I just got "the bubble" (a month ago) & reached out to Pirelli, then to Lucid, then to America's Tires and back to Lucid. Pirelli (with Lucid's urging) is giving me a "good will" tire that I'm paying for labor/tax. Happening tomorrow so should have back on Friday and more details
Good for you that you found someone willing to help you at Lucid. My Lucid contact told me to go to Tirerack and buy another new tire and get it installed on my own.

Back