• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

What are you replacing your 21" Pirelli tires with?

Fact check: America's Tire, which also is the same company as Tire Rack and Discount Tire, does not have any sort of agreement with Pirelli. What you were purchasing is an insurance policy from them. It has nothing to do with any tire company.
Ok that's fine, but lucid has a relationship with Pirelli. 21" Pirelli tires are exclusive to the AGT - our Lucid rep said these tires were made for the Lucid...is that true, you have much more knowledgethan I do. It would not take much to have either an in house warranty through Lucid. Or at the very least lucid should refer new owners to America's Tire on order to help us out, given the fragility of these tires. A third party warranty is what most car manufacturers offer at the time of sale, an easy solution.

Ok that's fine, but lucid has a relationship with Pirelli. 21" Pirelli tires are exclusive to the AGT - our Lucid rep said these tires were made for the Lucid...is that true, you have much more knowledgethan I do. It would not take much to have either an in house warranty through Lucid. Or at the very least lucid should refer new owners to America's Tire on order to help us out, given the fragility of these tires. A third party warranty is what most car manufacturers offer at the time of sale, an easy solution.
I've never had any car company offer me a tire warranty. Extended warranties on other things, sure. But they likely don't want to deal with items that wear that frequently. Not to mention items that are so easily subject to driver error, which leads you into a he-said, she-said conflict with customers you desperately want to keep happy. My guess is Lucid would lose a bundle of money offering this.

Pirelli designed the tires for the Air, true. But that's the extent of the relationship. Pirelli was not granted exclusivity, as evidenced by Michelins on the 20s and the Sapphire. And there's nothing stopping anyone from buying those Pirellis and putting them on other cars. Pirelli would have no good reason to offer Lucid an advantageous deal on covering these tire losses. So Lucid would end up eating the cost, or having to constantly try to recoup their losses from a disinterested Pirelli.

I don't see how it would make good financial or long-term customer satisfaction sense for Lucid to get into the tire business. Let Discount Tire handle that. They live and breathe this stuff.

I don't see how it would make good financial or long-term customer satisfaction sense for Lucid to get into the tire business. Let Discount Tire handle that. They live and breathe this stuff.
@joec - I respectfully disagree. It is in the tire business. It is selling you a car with four tires that it spec'ed and it purchased specifically for its car, that it is then advertising and selling on to you. Tires are not optional. Buyers are relying on Lucid's expertise in choosing a critical component. That anecdotely clearly appears to be failing at a higher rate, even considering low profile ties are more susceptible to damage. Hell, I remember when car experts said going from 50 to 40 aspect would ruin driving.

Again, IMHO, insurance on the Pirellis appears to be a band-aid. Although a necessary one. But better than repeated $500 bills.

And I represent several companies that offer third party extended warranties. It is no work for the manufacturer. The customer deals directly with third party insurer. And my clients do it simply for customer satisfaction. It was a no brainer for them.

Again, a big thanks to @Bobby for all the info on the DT warranty.

And, while we may disagree, I feel lucky to have this forum where I have learned so much. And truly excited about the Touring. But I gotta stop reading posts till 3am!

@joec - I respectfully disagree. It is in the tire business. It is selling you a car with four tires that it spec'ed and it purchased specifically for its car, that it is then advertising and selling on to you. Tires are not optional. Buyers are relying on Lucid's expertise in choosing a critical component. That anecdotely clearly appears to be failing at a higher rate, even considering low profile ties are more susceptible to damage. Hell, I remember when car experts said going from 50 to 40 aspect would ruin driving.

Again, IMHO, insurance on the Pirellis appears to be a band-aid. Although a necessary one. But better than repeated $500 bills.

And I represent several companies that offer third party extended warranties. It is no work for the manufacturer. The customer deals directly with third party insurer. And my clients do it simply for customer satisfaction. It was a no brainer for them.

Again, a big thanks to @Bobby for all the info on the DT warranty.

And, while we may disagree, I feel lucky to have this forum where I have learned so much. And truly excited about the Touring. But I gotta stop reading posts till 3am!
Very valid point.

I'm hitting up on 18,000 miles on my OEM 21" tires. About to seek out actually replacing them in preparation for some trips that will add another 1,000 miles or so.

Really curious if anyone has committed to seeking non OEM 21" tires that are compatible. I'll openly note, talking to a few other tire shops, the good ones are a tad adamant about not replacing the tires with non-OEMs due to that exclusive recommendation and the weight specs.

I'm hitting up on 18,000 miles on my OEM 21" tires. About to seek out actually replacing them in preparation for some trips that will add another 1,000 miles or so.

Really curious if anyone has committed to seeking non OEM 21" tires that are compatible. I'll openly note, talking to a few other tire shops, the good ones are a tad adamant about not replacing the tires with non-OEMs due to that exclusive recommendation and the weight specs.
I do not think there are ANY 21" other than the OEM Pirelli at this time that might even work. The highly rated Mich Pilot 21" tires were removed by TR after a member here had two blow out very quickly. The other issue is getting a tire that has proper sizing: getting a high load rated 21" with both 245 and 265 widths. Let us know what you find.

I switched to the Michelin's about 2,000 miles ago and they've been great. No issues.

I do not think there are ANY 21" other than the OEM Pirelli at this time that might even work. The highly rated Mich Pilot 21" tires were removed by TR after a member here had two blow out very quickly. The other issue is getting a tire that has proper sizing: getting a high load rated 21" with both 245 and 265 widths. Let us know what you find.
This is what I was wondering. Do you have the thread post for that convo?

Which specific spec’ed tires? 21”?

245/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S T0 TESLA, ACOUSTIC TECH XL
265/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S T0 TESLA, ACOUSTIC TECH XL

They won't come up for the Lucid if you search from them. And you'll need to find a tire shop that mount and balance despite the rating not matching OEM specs. Would recommend reading the FAQ here (https://www.lucidupdates.com/faq.html) to alleviate any concerns around the lack of rating.

1693584613500.png

Note that PS4 (Pilot Sport 4 summer) tires are not the same as PS4S (Pilot Sport 4 all-season) and may have different load ratings.

Note that PS4 (Pilot Sport 4 summer) tires are not the same as PS4S (Pilot Sport 4 all-season) and may have different load ratings.

Correct. I run winter tires on the 19's.

245/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S T0 TESLA, ACOUSTIC TECH XL
265/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S T0 TESLA, ACOUSTIC TECH XL

They won't come up for the Lucid if you search from them. And you'll need to find a tire shop that mount and balance despite the rating not matching OEM specs. Would recommend reading the FAQ here (https://www.lucidupdates.com/faq.html) to alleviate any concerns around the lack of rating.

View attachment 14614
This is exactly what I needed to dive into. Post the initial pop I experienced, the Pirelli's have been fairly solid. I hate to say this, but it doesn't seem like a good time to switch away with the weight rating differences... Not until more appropriately HL tires hit the market for this sizing.

I'd feel better about getting Pirelli's that are properly manufacture registered under warranty.

You can explore going up in width slightly to 255/35ZR21 and 275/35ZR21 Michelins respectively, and find the correct speed and weight ratings. Those are common on the Model X, which has similar power and weight as the Lucid. The HL rating that Lucid attaches to the OEM tires is only available from Pirelli.

Guess it depends on where you drive. In NJ I am down 3 of the original 4 tires with 3600 miles. I am scared to take the car out after being stranded on the highway for several hours after my last blowout. There are no other tires that meet the original 21" specifications so we are waiting for Michelin to release something. I would never get a Pirelli tire ever again.
I have had same problem in Canada. 3 tires in about a month. Lucid should do something about this problem. It seems to me the pirelli tire are not good enough for the weight of the car. Lucid needs to find another manufacturer whom can make a better tire.

Are the ‘custom’ 20” and 21” PS 4S made specially for the sapphire for general sale? Could they be used on other lucid models?

Back