when should i replace the tires? (1 year old Air Touring with 20 inch original tires)

nakago1

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Have the original 20 inch Pirelli Tires on a 2023 Touring.

drove about 22k miles and the Lucid team is recommending replacing all 4 of them? seems pretty soon since most of the miles are highway miles with smooth road + i never "LAUNCH" the car.
the lucid guys are saying that my tread is at 3mm. I will have to measure it myself to confirm.

what is everyone's experience? is 22k miles too soon? and if they do need to be replaced where is the best place to go? i assume Lucid service is most likely the most expensive option.
just want to see what other owners are doing.

thanks!
DC

drove about 22k miles and the Lucid team is recommending replacing all 4 of them? seems pretty soon since most of the miles are highway miles with smooth road + i never "LAUNCH" the car.
the lucid guys are saying that my tread is at 3mm. I will have to measure it myself to confirm.

what is everyone's experience? is 22k miles too soon? and if they do need to be replaced where is the best place to go? i assume Lucid service is most likely the most expensive option.

thanks!
DC
A lot depends on how you drive. But for summer performance EV tires, I think 22k is a reasonable amount to get out of them. I've replaced tires on ICE cars far sooner than that in the past.

thanks!
DC
how do the tires look? how worn are the treads?
25k miles is about all you might get from any tire on heavy car like this,

@TakeDuo has gotten 34k miles on his 21" summer tires

3mm tread is like 4/32" which is just when you should start considering replacement. If you don't drive in a lot of wet weather, you should be able to go a little further...
1713909522894.png

thanks!
DC
Did they say if the low tread indicators are showing it is time to replace them?

Did they say if the low tread indicators are showing it is time to replace them?
Wear indicators show the legal minimum tread depth of 2/32”. It's wise to get new tires at around 4/32".

Tires rarely measure equally across the contact patch. I might be worth getting a depth gauge and just measuring your self across the tire. Super useful if you do your own rotations.

If it's dry where you are, you could push it through Sumner until just before the rain comes then get a new set.

thank you everyone. now my second question is if i need to get the new tires, where would you guys recommend to go? Lucid is quoting me about 2500 (4 tires + install) i assume there maybe better / less expensive options?

thank you everyone. now my second question is if i need to get the new tires, where would you guys recommend to go? Lucid is quoting me about 2500 (4 tires + install) i assume there maybe better / less expensive options?
I usually time tire replacements for December or January. That's about the time Michelin tires go on sale at Costco.

Usually Tirerack is a good place to get them and then bring them to the tire shop to install. I usually find that to be way cheaper.

Second tirerack.

Occasionally you can get some wild deals via discount tire. Usually happens when eBay does some nice coupons and you can also stack with a manufacturer mail in rebate. Discount tires sells through eBay which is how you get the coupon stack, they also will price match companies like Tire Rack. This usually happens twice a year.

The other option is to final a local shop that just specializes in tires. I've found a few of these in the past and they can be wonderful. Generally speaking they only do tires and MAYBE alignment. They can usually match tire rack prices, have the same manufacturer mail in rebates when available and also have very reasonable discount/mount, balance, and disposing fees.

Another helpful way of finding such shops, follow the track rats. The local track rats tend to have a nose for sniffing these kinds of shops out.

I price at Tirerack and several local shops. Usually a local places all in price is within a couple bucks of Tirerack, when including mounting, balancing and disposal.

So if i get costco tires , right now it is recommending Michelin Pilot Sport 4S , which seems ok. But what about the current original tires having foam inside for noise reduction? Don't i need these foam inside tires for noise reduction? I don't know if these Tirerack tires or Costco tires would have these foams for road noise reduction. (as compared to the original Pirelli tires)

$2500 is on the high side, does that price include a 4 wheels alignment?

$2500 is on the high side, does that price include a 4 wheels alignment?
actually it's more. $2150 for 4 tires (20 inche). $400 for installation and disposal and $240 for alignment. total = $2790. but their tire do have the foam inside. not sure if that actually makes the road noise better. what does everything think?

actually it's more. $2150 for 4 tires (20 inche). $400 for installation and disposal and $240 for alignment. total = $2790. but their tire do have the foam inside. not sure if that actually makes the road noise better. what does everything think?
I think it comes down to what is important to the buyer. Range, grip, noise, price, cold weather, hot weather, rain, snow, etc. All can impact on a decision. Just make sure you have an acceptable load rating. If you want useful opinions from the peanut gallery, tell us what your goals are and what challenges your car will face (e.g., cold winter snow; lots of rain).

For example, the foam is designed to reduce road noise which is more noticeable on an EV because there is no roaring V8 to conceal the road noise. So if a quiet ride is important to you, then the foam is important. But if you don't care much about noise but want the best handling car, then the foam becomes less important.

Back