Was Alexa a Bad Choice

For me Android Auto/Car play is welcome in a rental car. For a daily driver I'd want better native capability.

We've had the choice of installing Alexa and HERE maps on our cell phones for years. But we don't, because there are better alternatives.

I use Google maps through CarPlay. I’ve never used a native navigation app, including Apple’s
We use native Google Maps and navigation, and Google Assistant daily in our primary EV. It's part of the Google Automotive Suite which runs on top of AAOS (the underpinnings for Lucid, Rivian, GM, Volvo, Polestar). It works very, very well and integrates seamlessly with Google's identical functionality on phone, desktop and smart home devices.

Totally agree with:

I want a better native system, not rely on CarPlay or its Android equivalent, which I believe only work for maps, phone and entertainment. The native system is still required for all the other car controls. I am not keen on having disparate user interfaces for these functions. I LOVE CarPlay for rental cars, where I want to get in and drive, without having to learn the quirks of a given car’s controls.

Also, I agree with not trusting Google. They make money off our data. While they have good maps and directions, I think Apple does a good job with that too

I love Apple Music: top quality audio and I already have a subscription. Rather not pay another $30/mo for a family subscription to Tidal

I wish Lucid had the resources to develop their own voice assistant, as Tesla seems to have done. I have to wonder if there was a software package Tesla purchased for theirs, since they had it from day 1, and it has always worked well.

I guess, in my ideal world (which I know is very much a personal preference), Apple would allow Lucid to reskin Apple CarPlay with their own UI, so that it matches the car’s styling, and have Siri integrated. Wishful thinking I know.

Maybe more realistic: Google Maps, Apple Music, and a native voice assistant.

I’m sure we can all come up with our dream combo.

...I’m sure we can all come up with our dream combo.
And unless we're willing to start our own car company, we're not likely to get it! :)

I gotta say PS2 “Hey Google” is more impressive than Lucid “Hey Alexa”. Every time I use Alexa to play game, she keeps asking me to pay her for more service. She’s no different from Julia Robert in Pretty Woman.

Back