Alexa plus display related issues documented since delivery

pam4_AGT

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I have driven my car almost on a daily basis (Mon-Fri) starting end of May-2022. Most days are uneventful but I would like to provide a complete list of issues with Alexa and the displays since then. Alexa has been a bit unpredictable right from the beginning and worse, it takes down other systems with it. What I have not listed below are the numerous times Alexa has told me there is no network connection - this is while Spotify is streaming music in the background. Additionally, I'm in a densely populated region in the Bay Area and refuse to believe it was the actual signal strength.

PART-1

Aug-06-2022:
  • Starting from home today, the right side of the glass cockpit and pilot panel were taking longer than usual to start up. I ended up getting out of the car and doing a reset. Everything back to normal after that. Also no idea why Alexa was showing me the weather for Santa Teresa in New Mexico when I asked for the weather forecast today. It's always given the weather for San Jose, CA before (that's where I am).
  • Coming back home, it looks like asking Alexa to do something (specifically - Alexa, what's the time?) completely killed the audio. This was right after the car booted up. No sound whatsoever - no music, no GPS directions, etc (first time this has happened). Another reset and it was back to normal. Looks like Alexa implementation is bad enough that it takes down other systems with it.
Aug-05-2022:.
  • Alexa refused to respond to wake word on the drive back to home from work. It was responding about 10 minutes earlier while in the parking lot at work.
  • Something I had never tried before - I decided to press the "microphone" button on the steering wheel. This brought back the blue glowing Alexa ribbon but no response from Alexa. A second press of that button and the right side of the cockpit display along with the pilot panel froze.
  • There were no issues driving. I pulled over to a parking lot and on a positive note, both the 360 surround view and rear-view camera on top popped up without a glitch.
  • Everything was back to normal after a reset and I continued back home.
Aug-01-2022 to Aug-02-2022 (Millbrae drop off):
  • Millbrae visit had nothing to do with Alexa.
  • Alexa refused to respond to wake word on the drive back to work from Millbrae after picking up the car. Already seen this a few times before and the issue went away the next time I drove.
Jul-28-2022: Software updated to 1.2.76.

Jul-27-2022:

• Alexa refused to respond to wake word. No blue ribbon. There was the Alexa icon (as always) on the top right cockpit panel.
Jul-22-2022: Software updated to 1.2.75.

Jul-16-2022:

• Started navigation from right side of glass cockpit.
  • Asked Alexa to navigate to an address. The blue ribbon glowed for a few seconds and then just went silent. No response from Alexa (no blue ribbon lighting up) for the rest of the drive to my destination.
    • Note: Just before clicking navigation, I had asked Alexa to close outside garage door (ADT home automation skill linked to Alexa). Alexa always has a confirmation message once door has actually closed - this obviously takes many seconds. Not sure whether asking it to navigate meanwhile confused it.
  • Alexa was back in business on the way back home.
Jul-13-2022: Software updated to 1.2.7.

Last edited:
PART-2

Jul-03-2022:

• Alexa refused to respond to wake word. No blue ribbon. It was a short 1 mile drive home and Alexa refused to wake up. There was the Alexa icon (as always) on the top right cockpit panel.
  • Reached home and hit the "Surround-view" button. Unlike every single time before, it took a few seconds to respond. But after parking and hitting "X" to get rid of the surround-view, the pilot-panel went dark. It wasn't dead because I could drag the music window from the right cockpit display down to the pilot panel and back. None of the other controls were there - they all went dark.

Jun-21-2022:
  • Issuing a command to Alexa (ADT home automation that always used to open the garage door - nothing to do with Homelink) froze the pilot panel and right side of the glass cockpit.
  • Also looked like the regenerative braking stopped working. Fortunately, this happened right outside my home so it was not a big deal. I rarely use the brakes so that's why I noticed.
  • Resetting fixed everything. Yes, this was the first time I saw regenerative braking not doing anything. The battery SOC was around 65-70% so nowhere near full charge. It was quite evident that the Alexa command somehow triggered the screen freeze.
Jun-19-2022:
After driving for about 65 miles with no issues, I was about to park at my destination. Hitting the "Surround-view-360" button on the pilot panel did not bring up any camera feed. The only message I saw was "Video unavailable". A reset fixed everything. Did not see any issue other than this on this entire weekend road trip.

Jun-14/15-2022: Software updated to 1.2.6.

Jun-04-2022 (Millbrae visit):

• Alexa refused to respond to wake word on the way to Millbrae. Was okay coming back (a reset must have fixed it).

Alexa is really flakey and I’ve recently experienced the issues you’ve mentioned more and more. The blue bar shows up when you say nothing even resembling the word Alexa. When you do say Alexa sometimes you just get the blue bar and nothing. Sometimes you don’t even get it to come up. Gave up on using it tbh

I could never take the time to document this, but I’m glad you did. Hopefully this gets to Lucid.

I could never take the time to document this, but I’m glad you did. Hopefully this gets to Lucid.
I have documented everything since I've started driving this car regularly including things like panel misalignment, frunk latch etc. I'll focus on just the Alexa and display related issues in this thread. I really want Alexa to work and I'm hoping these issues get addressed over OTA updates. At the very least, calling Alexa should not be screwing up other things.

What I have not listed below are the numerous times Alexa has told me there is no network connection - this is while Spotify is streaming music in the background. Additionally, I'm in a densely populated region in the Bay Area and refuse to believe it was the actual signal strength.

Music streams into a cache and will play for quite a while after the signal is lost. There is an LTE signal strength meter on the right panel of the Glass Cockpit. It's a big laggy, but it will eventually show loss and reacquisition of the cell signal.

We also live in a populated area in South Florida and are having fits with signals dropping out on all our phones. The dead spats with which we had been long familiar are expanding, and now our phones routinely drop out at huge intersections surrounded by heavy residential and commercial development. Our Lucid is on AT&T (although I'm told not all are), our personal cell phones are on Verizon and T-Mobile, and both cell phones are now dropping signals in areas where they did not a year ago. Our Tesla (I don't know the carrier it uses) has also started dropping signals in areas where it did not a few months ago.

My brother had wife were just visiting from Atlanta, and they both had trouble with their cell phones down here -- trouble they did not have when they lived here a few years back. And our friends in the area are experiencing the same thing.

I don't understand the technology, but I suspect something is going on with the transition from 4G to 5G by all carriers that they are not admitting. I can only hope it's a temporary situation.

This, combined with the instability of Alexa even in the presence of a strong cell signal, makes using it a very iffy proposition. It's been hit and miss (mostly miss) for the seven months we've had the car, and it's not improving.

I’m only two days into ownership but set up my car to only use the microphone button (I hate saying Alexa), and that has so far worked. Obviously I have little experience to contrast but possibly it is more robust this way? Just a thought.

I’m only two days into ownership but set up my car to only use the microphone button (I hate saying Alexa), and that has so far worked. Obviously I have little experience to contrast but possibly it is more robust this way? Just a thought.

I didn't know you could do that. I'll give it a try.

I have documented everything since I've started driving this car regularly including things like panel misalignment, frunk latch etc. I'll focus on just the Alexa and display related issues in this thread. I really want Alexa to work and I'm hoping these issues get addressed over OTA updates. At the very least, calling Alexa should not be screwing up other things.
I’m glad you are doing this. It’s a benefit to everyone if Lucid pays attention to the feedback. I just wonder if their hands are tied since it’s an Amazon problem. My Alexa at home works correctly about 80% of the time.

I don’t think I understand. How does this work? I don’t really like saying “hey Alexa” either.

I don’t think I understand. How does this work? I don’t really like saying “hey Alexa” either.
@Drendino, @hmp10 @TCGT , don't know if you guys saw this part highlighted below. It made things worse. I should just have ignored Alexa and kept on driving.

Aug-05-2022:.
  • Alexa refused to respond to wake word on the drive back to home from work. It was responding about 10 minutes earlier while in the parking lot at work.
  • Something I had never tried before - I decided to press the "microphone" button on the steering wheel. This brought back the blue glowing Alexa ribbon but no response from Alexa. A second press of that button and the right side of the cockpit display along with the pilot panel froze.
  • There were no issues driving. I pulled over to a parking lot and on a positive note, both the 360 surround view and rear-view camera on top popped up without a glitch.
  • Everything was back to normal after a reset and I continued back home.

Under applications, Alexa, settings, disable the Alexa hands free and you will need to push the button everytime. It works better this way IMO

Under applications, Alexa, settings, disable the Alexa hands free and you will need to push the button everytime. It works better this way IMO
Thanks, I like that!

I didn't know you could do that. I'll give it a try.
Or did I. Good to know as I’m sick and tired of false Alexa calls

It’s in the settings, under Alexa. I just turned voice activation off and use the microphone button. Can’t say it works for everything - since I’m only 2 days in - but better than Alexa constantly listening in.

I really don't know what's going on at the back end of Alexa. Starting today morning, it thinks I'm in Santa Teresa, NM! It tells me the weather forecast for that place instead of San Jose, CA! I have asked Alexa countless number of times before this for weather forecast and it's always replied correctly with the weather for San Jose, CA up until today. When I ask Alexa for my current location, it spits out the right location/street in San Jose, CA.
lucid_alexa_weather_wrong_location.jpg

I really don't know what's going on at the back end of Alexa. Starting today morning, it thinks I'm in Santa Teresa, NM! It tells me the weather forecast for that place instead of San Jose, CA! I have asked Alexa countless number of times before this for weather forecast and it's always replied correctly with the weather for San Jose, CA up until today. When I ask Alexa for my current location, it spits out the right location/street in San Jose, CA.
Before someone asks, no my GT is not connected to the WiFi at home with some weird VPN setting that makes it think I'm in NM. I have never entered my home WiFi credentials.

View attachment 3915
Are you asking “what’s the weather” or “what’s the weather in San Jose”?

I’ve had this happen and it’s given me some random location when asking “what’s the weather” but when I ask for the specific location it’s works. It’s stupid, I know but a possible workaround until Lucid/Amazon get the GPS data properly.

Lucid should’ve just paid the licensing for google voice / assistant. Alexa isn’t ready for cars

I’m having similar issues with Alexa on 1.2.7. If I the car is on the home screen and I ask Alexa to take me to a location, don’t get an answer, then ask again, the pilot screen and right display screen both freeze up until I can reset the car. I’m guessing either because (1) the maps function doesn’t boot reliably when using Alexa or (2) similar to Mustafa in Austin Powers, the Lucid doesn’t like being asked the same question more than once.

CD3D4433-0911-4D1D-A7A5-31652F9D88BB.jpeg

I’m having similar issues with Alexa on 1.2.7. If I the car is on the home screen and I ask Alexa to take me to a location, don’t get an answer, then ask again, the pilot screen and right display screen both freeze up until I can reset the car. I’m guessing either because (1) the maps function doesn’t boot reliably when using Alexa or (2) similar to Mustafa in Austin Powers, the Lucid doesn’t like being asked the same question more than once.

View attachment 3921

I seriously wouldn't care what the car did if Heather Graham was there

Back