Wall Charger

Home standby generator will cost you more than that.
I am Sure Lucid's V2H will have overcurrent protection built in. I am not sure Lucid can get UL approval without meeting all the guidelines. It is also possible to have it connect to the grid so it operates seamlessly. Tesla has been talking about doing something similar to provide emergency Grid support using the car HV batteries.

In addition to the transfer box, here are pictures of all the other boxes APS here in Arizona made me install in order to have a backup battery. I’m sure the requirements will be the same to use Lucid as a backup.

Attachments

• 16982A15-17FB-4409-8633-2D399BA2F0AD.jpeg
    16982A15-17FB-4409-8633-2D399BA2F0AD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 115
  • 729FF1A2-76FC-4388-87F4-6CC41CD28A97.jpeg
    729FF1A2-76FC-4388-87F4-6CC41CD28A97.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
In addition to the transfer box, here are pictures of all the other boxes APS here in Arizona made me install in order to have a backup battery. I’m sure the requirements will be the same to use Lucid as a backup.
I have a 30kW diesel GenSet. It is not connected to the grid so it just has a three position switch. Up to connect to the Utility middle for off and Down for the GenSet. Manual Transfer only which is a problem if no one is around to start the GenSet. I believe the V2V is going to be first out as Lucid has the data on both sides of the cable connect.

No ATS?

Yes, inside. The Tesla Powerwall gateway.

Wow! I didn't have to have any disconnect like that. But this is Indiana. Now, things could be different in new subdivision we moved into.

We have something that looks like this:

BR2100BRP.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the subject of chargers, I got my Grizzl-e smart installed today.

The unit is hardwired onto a 50amp circuit. Setup with ChargeLab once installed was a breeze, taking less than a minute. My installer put epoxy around everything because our microclimate can be intensely wet/foggy/windy and resilience against water and rust is essential.

Once my Lucid arrives I’ll post more in-depth impressions of the charger.

61EAB8AF-259F-4A22-8381-2A456E7E2545.jpeg

Looks like he did a nice job! Do you know if this unit can be wired from the top as well? I'll be looking to replace a top-wired Tesla HPWC.

The unit is hardwired onto a 50amp circuit. Setup with ChargeLab once installed was a breeze, taking less than a minute. My installer put epoxy around everything because our microclimate can be intensely wet/foggy/windy and resilience against water and rust is essential.

View attachment 1283Out of curiosity, what made you choose Grizzl-e over ChargePoint, WallBox or JuiceBox?

Looks like he did a nice job! Do you know if this unit can be wired from the top as well? I'll be looking to replace a top-wired Tesla HPWC.
Unfortunately it cannot be hardwired from the top or the back, only the bottom. However, you could just have it mounted upside-down. This thing is tough as nails.
Out of curiosity, what made you choose Grizzl-e over ChargePoint, WallBox or JuiceBox?
The Grizzl-e is really well hardened against moisture and has a mounting plate that can be locked in place. Theft isn't super on my mind, but then again I also don't feel like putting a ~$600 piece of electrical equipment on the outside of my house that someone could just swipe in the night.

One other thing is the Grizzl-e smart uses OCPP which is a pretty robust open standard supported by apps like Chargelab, so I can set a charging schedule and check usage/stats.

Unfortunately it cannot be hardwired from the top or the back, only the bottom. However, you could just have it mounted upside-down. This thing is tough as nails.

The Grizzl-e is really well hardened against moisture and has a mounting plate that can be locked in place. Theft isn't super on my mind, but then again I also don't feel like putting a ~$600 piece of electrical equipment on the outside of my house that someone could just swipe in the night.

One other thing is the Grizzl-e smart uses OCPP which is a pretty robust open standard supported by apps like Chargelab, so I can set a charging schedule and check usage/stats.

Fwiw Wallbox also uses OCPP

Also FWIW Chargepoint's own app allows scheduling and provides charging kWh and costing information with their EVSE.

Also FWIW Chargepoint's own app allows scheduling and provides charging kWh and costing information with their EVSE.
Yep, but the charge point charger wasn't as hardened and also doesn't have a mounting plate lock. The only other one with a lock is the Juicebox, but the design was too bulky to fit on the corner of my house without getting hit every time I take the trash cans out, and also isn't as weatherproof.

I'm an edge case however - most people won't be mounting outside in an environment with the moist ocean wind almost constantly blowing.

View attachment 1283
Is there a little docking port to store/protect the cable plug? You mention the moisture laddened ambient conditions.

Is there a little docking port to store/protect the cable plug? You mention the moisture laddened ambient conditions.
Yes, though I didn’t end up using it as the plug has a very secure cover to protect against moisture. The saddle (docking port) mounts at a 90 degree angle from the wall and would have protruded too far. I just ended up draping the cable over the charger and using the plug cover instead.

Yes, though I didn’t end up using it as the plug has a very secure cover to protect against moisture. The saddle (docking port) mounts at a 90 degree angle from the wall and would have protruded too far. I just ended up draping the cable over the charger and using the plug cover instead.
Got it!

View attachment 1283
If anything wouldn't you want the plug to be facing up instead of hanging down? As tight as that plug is, in the current position moisture will probably get into that cap hanging like that. Just my $0.02

If anything wouldn't you want the plug to be facing up instead of hanging down? As tight as that plug is, in the current position moisture will probably get into that cap hanging like that. Just my $0.02
Good point. I may still use the saddle/holster if I find moisture in there, just need to find one that can hold the plug at a right angle to the wall.

Back