Wall Charger

I’m using the Tesla Tap mini (80A) to charge the Lucid. Works great. I posted about this in some other thread.
Good to hear - this is what I'm planning too. Will be nice to have 80A charging again - I went from 85D (80A twin chargers) to LR+ (48A single charger), and just occasionally I miss the speed.

@EVCar, AFAIK the TeslaTap is specifically not for use with the supercharger network? It should with fine with destination chargers at hotels etc though.

Interesting that the EVSE included with Lucid goes up to 40Amps, most 240V capable units that come with vehicles can only go to 32A. I believe the Gen 1 Tesla Moble charger supported 40A and then was stepped down to 32A for some reason.
Probably because the NEC also allows a 40-amp breaker feeding a 14-50 outlet (not just 50 amp), and the mobile charger has no way of knowing this. So for safety Tesla set the max current to 80% of 40A instead of 80% of 50A.

Can I use this for hotel charging stations? What would I need for the Tesla Super Charger Network when it’s open for the public?
Thanks in advance.
The TeslaTap will only work on Tesla destination chargers. It will not work on the superCharger network. Right now there is not an adapter for the superchargers as they are only usable for Teslas.

Anyone know if you can use a 50a extension cord?
You could, but it's not the safest idea for the long term. Manufacturers will tell you not to do it for liability reasons.

You could, but it's not the safest idea for the long term. Manufacturers will tell you not to do it for liability reasons.

Irony, the Lucid Wall Charger has a 25' cable which should reach. The included cable is 20' which might be a little too short. I've order a 25' extension cord to see "generically" if it will work. If there is a 25' 14-50 to J1772 that won't void warranty, I may just get that.

That had better be a big diameter extension cord so you don’t get a large voltage drop. Hard wired most recommend 6 gauge.

Anyone know if you can use a 50a extension cord?
A question. What breaker size do you have with your existing 14-50 outlet? The sparkies in this group will tell you that you shouldn‘t pull more than 80% of the current that the circuit is rated for. So for a 14-50 outlet/connector, you shouldn’t draw more than 40 amps, because the 14-50 is rated at 50 amps. But, if your existing 14-50 was used for an appliance, the wires in the wall may be smaller than what is capable of carrying 50 amps. If this is the case, then the breaker in your panel will likely be smaller than 50 amps. Let’s say your existing breaker is only 30 amps. Then you have to derate 20% from the 30 amps, and draw no more than 24 amps on the circuit. (5.7kW max charge rate). If the breaker is less than 50 amps, then you my want to hire a licensed electrician to see if your in wall wiring can handle a larger breaker.

Use of an extension cord is your call. The extension you provided the link to says it has 6ga wire, that in an extension cord is rated at 55 amps. If you limit your current to no more than what the derated circuit is sized for, then the extension cord looks feasible.

summary, use of a 14-50 connector means the max current you might be able to draw on the circuit is 40 amps, if the in-wall wires and breaker are sized to 50 amps. If the wires and breaker are sized less than 50 amps, then you should use no more than 80% of the current that the breaker is sized for.

EV charger manufacturers will tell you if you wish to to charge at more than 40 amps, then hardwire the unit with properly sized wires and breaker.

Here are the docs from Lucid on this:

Attachments

• Home Charging Station Explainer.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Setting Up Your Lucid Charging Cable.pdf
    101 KB · Views: 370
A question. What breaker size do you have with your existing 14-50 outlet? The sparkies in this group will tell you that you shouldn‘t pull more than 80% of the current that the circuit is rated for. So for a 14-50 outlet/connector, you shouldn’t draw more than 40 amps, because the 14-50 is rated at 50 amps. But, if your existing 14-50 was used for an appliance, the wires in the wall may be smaller than what is capable of carrying 50 amps. If this is the case, then the breaker in your panel will likely be smaller than 50 amps. Let’s say your existing breaker is only 30 amps. Then you have to derate 20% from the 30 amps, and draw no more than 24 amps on the circuit. (5.7kW max charge rate). If the breaker is less than 50 amps, then you my want to hire a licensed electrician to see if your in wall wiring can handle a larger breaker.

Use of an extension cord is your call. The extension you provided the link to says it has 6ga wire, that in an extension cord is rated at 55 amps. If you limit your current to no more than what the derated circuit is sized for, then the extension cord looks feasible.

summary, use of a 14-50 connector means the max current you might be able to draw on the circuit is 40 amps, if the in-wall wires and breaker are sized to 50 amps. If the wires and breaker are sized less than 50 amps, then you should use no more than 80% of the current that the breaker is sized for.

EV charger manufacturers will tell you if you wish to to charge at more than 40 amps, then hardwire the unit with properly sized wires and breaker.

It is a new install. I am having it ran for the 100a circuit but will have a new 50a breaker. Its a big change since existing 200a panel with a 60a sub-panel is completely full. So going to add a second 200a panel keep the existing sub-panel and move circuits AGT will cover to it. I haven't seen it yet but hoping Lucid transfer switch is no wider than the sub-panel so can fit in-between.
200a Plan.jpg

Irony, the Lucid Wall Charger has a 25' cable which should reach. The included cable is 20' which might be a little too short. I've order a 25' extension cord to see "generically" if it will work. If there is a 25' 14-50 to J1772 that won't void warranty, I may just get that.
Probably stupid question, but is the home Lucid Wall Charger coming with the car or do you have to purchase it separately, and if so, for how much? I can't find much detail on the website. My contact person at lucid hasn't returned my calls yet. I'm asking because I wanted to make sure that what ever charger unit I setup, was bidirectional capable.
Thanks

Probably stupid question, but is the home Lucid Wall Charger coming with the car or do you have to purchase it separately, and if so, for how much? I can't find much detail on the website. My contact person at lucid hasn't returned my calls yet. I'm asking because I wanted to make sure that what ever charger unit I setup, was bidirectional capable.
Thanks
The LCHCS (hardwired wall charger with bi-directional capability) is NOT included with the car. Best guess from one conversation I had forever ago was $1,000 or so. The mobile charger (plug-in) comes with the car.

The LCHCS (hardwired wall charger with bi-directional capability) is NOT included with the car. Best guess from one conversation I had forever ago was $1,000 or so. The mobile charger (plug-in) comes with the car.
A $1000 price for an 80 amp, bidirectional EVSE is a great price.

A $1000 price for an 80 amp, bidirectional EVSE is a great price.
Not too sure if that will be the price, this was a conversation I had with my SA in October last year before I took delivery...

Not too sure if that will be the price, this was a conversation I had with my SA in October last year before I took delivery...
I had seen the same number somewhere before. Perhaps from you In October?

Thats not a bad price if it would also charge the car at 80A
I'm sure it will be a fairly large additional cost for proper wiring and installation, permits, etc.

on Friday I was told it would "four figures" ... I get a feeling that means more than $1000... maybe more like $1500-2000 (no bites on the hook when I went fishing)
or $9999

Back