Volvo C40 recharge vs Lucid software

imran

Cars
Lucid air GT
Just bought the Volvo C40 recharge (pic attached). Beautiful EC SUV, probably the fastest and most fun SUV I’ve ever driven!

However the ride, power and overall luxury isn’t even CLOSE to the AGT which is why I hate to say I’m enjoying it more than my AGT which also costs 2.5x more! Why ? Because the software on the Volvo juts WORKS!! It’s fast, it’s not buggy, they have CarPlay, the mirror folding or garage door opening doesn’t require multiple steps etc!!

Such a pity that after 9 months of owning the AGT they can’t improve the software whereas Volvo has done an outstanding job on software even tho the car doesn’t have AGT here close to the same level of power, stability, ride or luxury.

And then u wonder why there’s so many cancellations and the company is in trouble.. FIX the damn software or fire the current team and hire people who can!!!

Sad.

Your post is very confusing.
Software vs hardware?
Is that what you mean?

Just bought the Volvo C40 recharge (pic attached). Beautiful EC SUV, probably the fastest and most fun SUV I’ve ever driven!

However the ride, power and overall luxury isn’t even CLOSE to the AGT which is why I hate to say I’m enjoying it more than my AGT which also costs 2.5x more! Why ? Because the software on the Volvo juts WORKS!! It’s fast, it’s not buggy, they have CarPlay, the mirror folding or garage door opening doesn’t require multiple steps etc!!

Such a pity that after 9 months of owning the AGT they can’t improve the software whereas Volvo has done an outstanding job on software even tho the car doesn’t have AGT here close to the same level of power, stability, ride or luxury.

And then u wonder why there’s so many cancellations and the company is in trouble.. FIX the damn software or fire the current team and hire people who can!!!

Sad.
Uh, after 9 months, they have improved the software by leaps and bounds. Can it still be improved? Absolutely. But to say 'they can't improve the software' is false and misleading.

Also, the company isn't in trouble, people just love doomsday stories. 🙄

Enjoy the C40!

The C40's sister SUV (XC40 EV) has a much better ride than the C40 - the C40 was tuned for "sportiness" which made it ride hard. The XC40's ride is firm and controlled but not harsh.

We've owned an XC40 EV for about 18 months. IMO Volvo's software development process is extremely slow - CarPlay took 18 months to OTA, there is a simple charging settings bug which has been present for at least six months, and an occasional bug takes the car's TCAM (comms module) permanently offline until you disassemble the car a bit and pull the plug on its backup battery- until then, no GPS/LTE/Wifi for you. It's happened to our car twice so far. The last three "OTA" software updates were pulled or made dealer-only so it has been several months since an OTA update was released in the USA. The phone app is very rudimentary and just added map capability after 20 months.

But at least the C40, XC40, and other newer Volvos and Polestar cars have Google Maps/Navigation and Google Assistant for voice AI.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying the simplicity, handy size, and user-friendliness of a less-expensive car compared to a high-end luxury car. They're just different.

Our XC40 tends to be our go-to car for errands in town due to its handy size and Google maps/nav. The Air is a nicer drive, though a lot to haul around, and is primarily our long-trip car.

Last edited:
Uh, after 9 months, they have improved the software by leaps and bounds. Can it still be improved? Absolutely. But to say 'they can't improve the software' is false and misleading.

Also, the company isn't in trouble, people just love doomsday stories. 🙄

Enjoy the C40!
Yes it has improved. But it’s still TERRIBLE compared to the C40. Completely unacceptable for a car that costs 2.5x the c40!

Yes it has improved. But it’s still TERRIBLE compared to the C40. Completely unacceptable for a car that costs 2.5x the c40!
Don't purchase it. Simple.

For some reason fanboys on this forum don’t realize it’s NOT a binary choice that either u A. FAWN over the lucid and refuse to lint out any weaknesses or B. Sell it.

How about a 3rd option which is I continue owning it (I’ve had mine for 9 months, one of the earliest AGT owners), enjoy the things that are working (as I said in my original post, the ride is unmatched) AND continue to push the lucid leadership to IMPROVE so that we ALL collectively own a better product?? 😜😏

For some reason fanboys on this forum don’t realize it’s NOT a binary choice that either u A. FAWN over the lucid and refuse to lint out any weaknesses or B. Sell it.

How about a 3rd option which is I continue owning it (I’ve had mine for 9 months, one of the earliest AGT owners), enjoy the things that are working (as I said in my original post, the ride is unmatched) AND continue to push the lucid leadership to IMPROVE so that we ALL collectively own a better product?? 😜😏
You can call me a fanboy, but your comment that the software has not improved in 9 months is not credible based on what we all know about the 2.0.x updates.

In my old S65, the nav software has long since given up, it is way before Apple play, the soft close doors don’t work any more … and every time I drive it I smile. It cost (somebody else) $170,000 back when that was a lot of money, and for years was the best luxury sedan for driving experience. It costs an arm and a leg to keep in good shape, but then you drive it and smile. For me, I am looking for the AT to give me the same driving experience as the Mercedes. All the tech stuff is nice but it is a car for traveling in and if the driving part is well engineered for driving I personally am not going to fuss over the other stuff. That being said, everyone is different, people choose cars because of the colour, the number of cup holders, brand loyalty rationalized somehow. I get the sense though that the people who smile every time they drive their Air are the once that enjoy the driving part - which seems to be who Lucid have mostly been marketing to and are becoming the early adopters.

You know it never ceases to amaze me people keep coming into a forum for people who are interested and invested in Lucid, take a giant dump all over the car, and then wonder why they get a little pushback?

If you think anything you got in response is fawning, you have a very odd definition of fawning. What I see are people correcting factual errors in your post, while others are sort of agreeing with you.

If you want to dish it out, be ready to take the response. We’re all a bit tired of people playing the victim here.

Okay. If it is 'completely unacceptable' then put your money where your mouth is and sell it.

If you don't sell it, then it is clearly not 'completely unacceptable' and perhaps you should consider using less histrionic terminology to describe how you feel, since it appears to be quite 'acceptable' given that you haven't sold the car.

The issue you're hearing from the people you like to call 'fanboys' isn't them being upset that you're unhappy with the software, but that you say things like 'completely unacceptable' when, clearly, it is acceptable enough for you to not want to sell it. That's great, and none of us want to see you unhappy, so of course we're glad that you enjoy the car; but then say that, and don't use phrases like 'completely unacceptable' when that is decidedly not what you mean.

It is improving very quickly, and is definitely more than acceptable for the majority of owners (now, not 1.0). If you don't feel that way, take action. But complaining (in general, without specifics) and not acting helps nobody.

I guess it’s pretty useless pointing out real issues in this car that are UNACCEPTABLE for something of this price. The fan boys here are like a cult 😏

And good point, if another car comes along that has the same ride quality AND better software I will absolutely sell this asap! Until then I’m stuck and WILL complain in the hopes that lucid management realize that software plays a huge part in the overall experience and actually do something about it.

Cheers!

I guess it’s pretty useless pointing out real issues in this car that are UNACCEPTABLE for something of this price. The fan boys here are like a cult 😏

And good point, if another car comes along that has the same ride quality AND better software I will absolutely sell this asap! Until then I’m stuck and WILL complain in the hopes that lucid management realize that software plays a huge part in the overall experience and actually do something about it.

Cheers!
Have you not seen the difference between 1.0 and 2.0? They *are* doing something about it. Look at the huge number of OTAs they've pushed out, some with bigger fixes than others, but all improving on something. This has nothing to do with fanboyism. My sound was completely dead this morning as I was leaving the Bay area to drive back home after the party last night. I had to pull into a shopping plaza and do a key card reset, standing in the rain (under a cover, but it was still blowing) for 5 minutes. Do I find this acceptable? No, not particularly, but the drive and comfort are worth the little hiccups.

As others have said above, if you can't handle the still juvenile software, sell the car and buy an EQS or something.

I point out real issues all the time. I just did so ten minutes ago. You are not pointing out real issues, but dumping the same 'software sux' opinion over and over again regardless of accuracy or truth. The doomsayers here are like a cult 😏

Lucid management realizes this, as evidenced by, again, the massive strides we've seen in the software improvements over the last 11 months. Again, reminder that I own a DE and dealt with software starting with 1.0.4, so am very well aware of how shitty it was to start. The strides they've made in software in that time have been nothing short of herculean, and the present state is definitely a massive improvement. Could it be better? Yes.

Also, you failed to realize my point: if the software in its present state is "completely unacceptable" then you wouldn't keep the car, by definition. It would be 'completely unacceptable' for you to do so, since you thought that such a major component of the car was 'completely unacceptable.' That you have kept it, which is totally fine, implies, once again by definition, that the software in its present state is not 'completely unacceptable,' as you appear to have... accepted it.

Sad.

My neighbor, who owns one of the first 100 Lucid built, went from being totally miserable with UX 1.0 to a quite happy & proud owner with UX 2.x. He's a no-tech old-money guy, and simply judging the car by the direct experience.

Many of us who receive the car now with UX 2.x would totally miss out the "fun" of the early software. I think the software still have WAY to go to reach Tesla's level, but many of the early problems (lagging UI, dead door handle, turtle mode...) aren't likely to be found in later build cars...

My neighbor, who owns one of the first 100 Lucid built, went from being totally miserable with UX 1.0 to a quite happy & proud owner with UX 2.x. He's a no-tech old-money guy, and simply judging the car by the direct experience.

Many of us who receive the car now with UX 2.x would totally miss out the "fun" of the early software. I think the software still have WAY to go to reach Tesla's level, but many of the early problems (lagging UI, dead door handle, turtle mode...) aren't likely to be found in later build cars...
At this point we are all early adopters with all that comes with that experience - good and bad.

My mclaren 600lt is one of my favorite cars...but the iris system is pretty bad. It never remembers where I left off on Bluetooth for music, has no built in homelink, voice command is probably 10 years dated, navigation unusable (very outdated maps and terrible algorithm) and it will NEVER get better. However, I still have no intention of selling it. I guess we could choose to see the glass as 1/2 full with lucid and have hope that things will get better. At least that what I'm hoping for 😏

Such a pity that after 9 months of owning the AGT they can’t improve the software

Are we to believe it has seen no improvements in the software in 9 months? or that it hasn't updated its software ever?

either way I see no reason to engage discussion

Last edited:
Back