Debating Pure Purchase

Pbardwell

I am debating getting a Pure base model. I have heard and read things that concern me. 1) time in the shop, 2) bugginess of software to the point of reboot needed, 3) not able to warm or cool cabin in extreme temperatures (I live in the Northeast), 4) doors not closing easily, 5) system slow to fully boot including backup camera and doors unlocking upon approach.

It’s a long list, but there were many positive comments as well and I love the look and drive.

Any insight would be great.

I am debating getting a Pure base model. I have heard and read things that concern me. 1) time in the shop, 2) bugginess of software to the point of reboot needed, 3) not able to warm or cool cabin in extreme temperatures (I live in the Northeast), 4) doors not closing easily, 5) system slow to fully boot including backup camera and doors unlocking upon approach.

It’s a long list, but there were many positive comments as well and I love the look and drive.

To me, all your concerns in here except number 3 and 1 seem to be software related. For specifically 3, I would state that lucid seat heaters are RIDICULOUSLY good. Like, you will burn yourself for too long good.

The choice is: Great hardware with m5 dynamics and the ride of an s class(and space!) with the software improvements that should be coming later.

For 4: Yes, the pure does not have soft close doors. During my test drive(i am also looking at a base pure), I found it no problem coming from cars without soft close doors.

5. was fixed with UX 2.0, it is done booting up within 5 seconds.

1 and 2 are a valid concern. I suspect that lucid will soon improve its service center outreach, allowing for faster repairs. 2 should again, be improved soon.

I know I sound like a horribly optimistic person with all the "this will be improved" stuff, but I genuinely believe this. If you are willing to go through small niggles for the beginning of your car purchase in regards to your concerns(by the way, many of the newer airs are PERFECT in terms of software) with the potential of the best sedan you ever owned, then go for it. If you want a perfect car from day one, I would advise you to consider waiting for some time!

Personally for me, I rarely need to reboot my car, maybe once every 2 weeks

Software is massively better than the earlier versions. Can't remember the last time I needed to force a reboot (my understanding is that it effectively does a soft reboot every time you walk away from the car for more than a few minutes). Heat is great, especially with those heated seats, and the addition of the 'Max a/c' button a few software updates ago made a huge difference.

You could, of course, buy my black GT instead ;)

Personally for me, I rarely need to reboot my car, maybe once every 2 weeks
For me, it’s far less than that. I’ve rebooted maybe once in the last four months.

I would go so far as to say that newer Air's are almost as problem free as any other german car, etc. UX 2.0 is really MUCH better than the original version people like @hydbob had to live through and were covered by the media. It just... works. And new features are being added almost every month!

I love the car. I have other options, but drive my Lucid most of the time. I have 21" rims and summer tires so I can not comment on sub freezing temps. I have driven the car a lot in 100+ temps and have no complaints about cooling. The software is very stable now. The proximity unlock is not as good as it needs to be, but has improved significantly. My experience with service has been great. I have a truck that I drive whenever the car is in for service so I have never asked for a loaner and I am happy driving the truck so service time is not a concern for me. That said, most of my service calls have been handled by a service van coming to my location. It is such a capable vehicle. If you can charge at home, charging is a non issue. I've driven coast to coast. Road trips require more planning than an ice vehicle, but are very doable. I will have ice vehicles for many years to come, but I am very happy with the Lucid as a daily driver.

I am debating getting a Pure base model. I have heard and read things that concern me. 1) time in the shop
I haven't gone there but not a surprise because there are not many Service Centers around the country.

As sales pick up, there will be more Service Centers.

Less sales, less Service Centers.

2) bugginess of software to the point of reboot needed
The software is consumer quality, very solid, and not buggy at all.

The last time I rebooted was in July or 3 months ago when Electrify America messed up my Lucid and froze the computer. A reboot fixed that.

3) not able to warm or cool cabin in extreme temperatures (I live in the Northeast)
You need some patience if you allow the Automatic setting to achieve your desired temperature.
You can click the "Max" button if you are not patient.

4) doors not closing easily
Not a problem for me. It's easy for me to close Lucid's doors.
5) system slow to fully boot including backup camera and doors unlocking upon approach.
It may take time if the car is in deep sleep but in general, it works fine and is responsive in daily use.

I’ve got a Pure that’s two months old. It’s been absolutely perfect with the exception of an occasional loss of SXM that resolves itself within a few minutes. Over the last several days even that has been perfect.

So to sum up, the system boots up very quickly and by the time I’m buckled up, the backup camera is fully functional. Doors close perfectly fine. The AC during the latter part of the summer, when I picked up my car, has been great (I live in NY). In short the car has met and exceeded my expectations.

My 2.5 cents.

If you can wait 18-24 months to buy an EV, then I think that you will have more choices with better motors and batteries than the current offerings, from all vendors. Also, by then Lucid should have newer models.

It will be the best car you've ever owned. Sure, it'll have some quirks and bugs here and there but the software is getting better. The hardware and technology are automotive marvels that will give you the best handling, efficiency, power, and overall drive. If you can live with the fact that you're still an early adopter, then it's worth it if you're asking all the current owners (with exception of a few who have major issues with their specific cars). It's also fine to wait if you want the software to be better but the current offers and used sales market prices are pretty compelling right now.

My 2.5 cents.

If you can wait 18-24 months to buy an EV, then I think that you will have more choices with better motors and batteries than the current offerings, from all vendors. Also, by then Lucid should have newer models.
Curious who you think will have better motors and batteries as I don't see anything on the horizon that I would consider better than what Lucid is offering with regards to motors and batteries.

My 2.5 cents.

Noone will be able to better Lucid EV technology. Not even Tesla!

Don't debate...just get the car. Best car I ever owned. All those issues yu mentioned are minor and most have been addressed. Phenomenal car to drive! Ride is absolutely amazing. Subtle over bumps, yet you can throw the car around. Hardly feel the weight. Brings a smile everytime i get in! It even made me not want a Ferrari anymore!

Curious who you think will have better motors and batteries as I don't see anything on the horizon that I would consider better than what Lucid is offering with regards to motors and batteries.
Motors - https://yasa.com/ - Owned by Mercedes now. And I am sure that there are others in the works.
Batteries - Toyota and several Chinese companies will be in production with solid-state batteries.

And Lucid will have access to better batteries in 18-24 months.

I am not knocking Lucid. Just saying that the industry is rapid change at the moment.

I have had my Touring (which shares the same base as the Pure) for 9 months, & I have had no problems, no rattles squeaks or issues, its as solid as a rock. The Lucid has been a wonderful car and one of the best I have ever had at this same price range. I would say the build quality is equivalent to any top a BMW 7 or 8 series, Top Audi Models, Mercedes. It has very good paint, clear coat, with great shine and polishes out like a Maserati or Aston Martin. The interior materials are Top notch & beautiful ,dont feel minimalist, it's not old school over done and heavy, and it does not feel like you are in a boat.. The driving feel is light and airy, but still planted and sporty with great feedback similar to a BMW 8 series (but even faster and smoother) to me. This car is so quick, functional, and a true joy to drive. I sat in a Pure last week and it is beautiful, felt of equal quality to the Touring in many ways, it's a bargain. I am 110% happy with my decision buy a Lucid, and I would make the same decision 9 months later and over any EV currently on the 2023 market. This is NOT an sterile EV that feels like you are driving an iPhone... ~The Lucid is an EV with a SOUL.~ Its hard to describe... But driving a Lucid is kind of like driving a soulful Maserati, that does not make noise or burn gas, but still gives you that soulful feeling that Italian cars commonly give back to their drivers. Get it, you will love it!

Motors - https://yasa.com/ - Owned by Mercedes now. And I am sure that there are others in the works.
Batteries - Toyota and several Chinese companies will be in production with solid-state batteries.

I am not knocking Lucid. Just saying that the industry is rapid change at the moment.
It is very unlikely that we will see a solid state battery in a production car in the next 18-24 months.

Toyota has been bragging about solid state batteries for almost a decade. I would take their words with a punch of salt.

Sharing my experience...

I have had my Touring since March. It has spent zero days in the shop - the exceptions would be an issue I had with HVAC that went away after a couple of days and has never returned and the wiper issue that has a had a recall issued. I fixed that issue myself with instruction from this forum but will still contact Lucid about the recall.

There bugs in the software and sometimes I do need to reboot the car, but it is pretty infrequent. Also, there are bugs in the software of my wife's Audi Q7 and there were bugs in my last two cars (Tesla Model S & Audi A6). I've found Lucid way more responsive to fixing the bugs than Audi. On the whole, Lucid's software just keeps getting better.

Heating and cooling hasn't been too much of a problem for me, but I live in the Pacific Northwest. It is a bit slower to cool in my opinion, but that was before Max AC mode. I really can't comment on heating as I haven't been through much winter weather yet.

The Touring has soft close doors, so it's been great. If anything, it drives me nuts how hard my family still shut the door. I seem to recall that the Pure might not have that feature so that could be a different story.

The doors are slow to unlock most of the time. This is a legit annoyance. I haven't had issues with the backup camera being too slow for a while now, but the 360 camera often is a little slower than I'd like. I usually wait though because it's kept me from curbing my wheels.

All in all, it's the best car I've ever owned and I don't regret it at all. It regularly puts a huge smile on my face.

I hope you decide to become a Lucid owner and enjoy it as much as I do!

Back