Vampire Drain

Mobile charger plugged into 14-50
Ok. It’s interesting that the mobile charger will reinitiate charging when the car battery drops to some level below the set limit. I’m wondering If that is unique to the mobile charger. I have never seen my ChargePoint reinitiate a charge overnight after it completes a session.

Just finished again
View attachment 3773

Car is now dark again

View attachment 3774

So far 1 hour and 17 minutes of recharge.
For a second there, when I saw the Do Not Disturb notification on your phone, I thought that may be a new feature of 1.2.75. Then I realized it was for your phone. But seriously, why not implement something like that where it won't wake up unless you take the DND off via the app? I'm sure that's overly simplistic, but figured I'd throw it out there.

For a second there, when I saw the Do Not Disturb notification on your phone, I thought that may be a new feature of 1.2.75. Then I realized it was for your phone. But seriously, why not implement something like that where it won't wake up unless you take the DND off via the app? I'm sure that's overly simplistic, but figured I'd throw it out there.
That’s actually a clever idea. Force the car to stay asleep except for battery management system until you tell it to wake up. Might save some electrons.

That’s actually a clever idea. Force the car to stay asleep except for battery management system until you tell it to wake up. Might save some electrons.

Even if I wake car up to check from app, it shouldn't drop 1-2% SoC. This has to be something else. When it showed 79% and charging it had already dropped.

So far appears to only do it once.

Car lost communication this morning at 4am. When I entered it was on 79%
Screenshot_20220730-101147_Lucid.jpg

20220730_102325.jpg

There was 2% drop, but no recharge. But lost communication.

I notice you are in Indiana and use Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.

I have run a couple of drain tests with the new 1.2.76 software to see if anything changed. The first with the charger nozzle in and the power on.

After 6 hours, the car had lost 3% of the charge. This is an improvement over previous measurement, improvement, but still in the unacceptable range. Losing 3% charge while plugged in, as they advise. I blame this on weak skills on the "Battery Team".

The second test was 24 hours with the nozzle removed, and the Lucid App set to not run in the background and only one short wake while I grabbed something from the trunk.

There was a 3% drain or 0.15 KW / Hour. Prior to this, drain was 1.2 KW/Hour. While this is something I can live with, I think a more reasonable figure is 0.070 Kw/Hour.

I wish Lucid was more transparent/honest about what they are addressing in releases. I have a ticket open on the drain since 1.2.7 and a request to update me with actions and progress. I have heard nothing. I am happy my issue is mostly gone, but I would like to know why, and I would like to know what things are drain factors. I think we all would.

Meanwhile I DC fast charged from 48% to 80%, and I lost barely 1% SOC. The issue seems to be more with L2 at home leaving the car plugged in after it’s reached your set SOC%.

I lost about 3% after parking from a fast charge (had riven about 20’ after the charge), so for me it has been both.

Meanwhile I DC fast charged from 48% to 80%, and I lost barely 1% SOC. The issue seems to be more with L2 at home leaving the car plugged in after it’s reached your set SOC%.
Same experience with me. Better, but still not good.

I lost about 3% after parking from a fast charge (had riven about 20’ after the charge), so for me it has been both.

Both for me as well

Same experience with me. Better, but still not good.

If I understand DC charging and the battery temps the drain is a function of the battery cooling, is this correct? The L2 is a problem, but as I eluded to and proved earlier it does not occur on L2 if you charge to 100%.

Update:

Started L2 charging at 53%, completed roughly at midnight when I went to get into the car this morning it had drained down to 78.05%. I say that because it was on 77% before I could get out of our subdivision. There was no recharge, a good thing?

Update:

Started L2 charging at 53%, completed roughly at midnight when I went to get into the car this morning it had drained down to 78.05%. I say that because it was on 77% before I could get out of our subdivision. There was no recharge, a good thing?
I L2 home charged from 42% to 80% overnight. Finished at 3AM. This AM SOC% was 77%. So yeah consistent 3% drain if you stay connected to L2 charger after charging to daily/80% SOC. This is not normal EV behavior as far as I know and seems to be reproducible across vehicles so I think service should be notified, if they haven’t already.

I L2 home charged from 42% to 80% overnight. Finished at 3AM. This AM SOC% was 77%. So yeah consistent 3% drain if you stay connected to L2 charger after charging to daily/80% SOC. This is not normal EV behavior as far as I know and seems to be reproducible across vehicles so I think service should be notified, if they haven’t already.

I'll contact them as well.

I doubt that what we are calling phantom drain at 80% versus 100% SOC is really any drain but an artifact of Lucid's SOC estimation. In other words, voltage changes between between just before charging stopped and after it has been sitting. Just before ending charge at 80% there are still voltage drops due to current flow and internal battery resistance that have to be accounted for. The battery module temperature may not be be completely uniform so the voltage correction for temperature may have errors.

When approaching 100% charge, the charge rate decreases to protect the battery from damage that would occur if overcharged. Hence, the current decreases and the resistive voltage drops decrease. The battery module temperature may also become more uniform since less heat is being generated. This results in a better SOC estimate that does not change after charging stops.

In any case, Lucid software should not be be making these mistakes in SOC estimation so we should report it to customer care for a future software fix.

I doubt that what we are calling phantom drain at 80% versus 100% SOC is really any drain but an artifact of Lucid's SOC estimation. In other words, voltage changes between between just before charging stopped and after it has been sitting. Just before ending charge at 80% there are still voltage drops due to current flow and internal battery resistance that have to be accounted for. The battery module temperature may not be be completely uniform so the voltage correction for temperature may have errors.

When approaching 100% charge, the charge rate decreases to protect the battery from damage that would occur if overcharged. Hence, the current decreases and the resistive voltage drops decrease. The battery module temperature may also become more uniform since less heat is being generated. This results in a better SOC estimate that does not change after charging stops.

In any case, Lucid software should not be be making these mistakes in SOC estimation so we should report it to customer care for a future software fix.
I believe this is true. It was mentioned to me by the head of service at Millbrae but I didn't know how to clearly put that into words.

I did an informal test myself overnight. I charged it to 90% the other day at EA. By the time I got home, it was down to 86%. Sitting in the garage overnight, it was down to 83% the next morning, presumably due to BMS loss. Driving to and from work yesterday left me at 76%, so I charged back up to 80% overnight, which finished in under an hour. When I woke up the morning, it was still at 80% - no phantom drain.

I can't explain it, other than maybe having so little charge needed didn't heat the battery up to make it lose charge for BMS cooling? Either way, if it stays plugged in, it should just use the power from the wall rather than the battery to cool everything down. There's no need for the phantom drain in that situation.

Is it possible that some of the BMS issue may just be a calculation error? If the car battery drains a little but the car isn’t moving is it calculating a bigger impact on the potential range then what energy actually has been drained. My 2017 Model X had horrible phantom drain issues that were ultimately more about the software than an issue with the Battery. A software update ultimately solved the problem.

Back