Vampire Drain

We have the Lucid DE and a Mercedes AMG EQS in the same climate-controlled garage. The Lucid has Vampire Drain and the Mercedes does not. The EQS has a "start" button but not sure that is the only factor. Maybe this is just a software issue.

Do Teslas have Vampire Drain?

We have the Lucid DE and a Mercedes AMG EQS in the same climate-controlled garage. The Lucid has Vampire Drain and the Mercedes does not. The EQS has a "start" button but not sure that is the only factor. Maybe this is just a software issue.

Do Teslas have Vampire Drain?
Yes, Tesla too has vampire drain, but who drains more is another debate. Lucid’s “start” button is stepping on brake to initiate all systems.

Yes, Tesla too has vampire drain, but who drains more is another debate. Lucid’s “start” button is stepping on brake to initiate all systems.
My DE seems to have more Vampire Drain lately, more that 1-2 miles per day. Not sure why, new software?

My DE seems to have more Vampire Drain lately, more that 1-2 miles per day. Not sure why, new software?
I got drained only 7% while out of country for 4 weeks, then I get 1~2% drain a day when I got back home. The difference is my mobile phone is back home near the car, weather got a lot hotter and new OTA updates. Somewhere along the parameters is the culprit or all of above. Right now it seems trivial since charging to 85%+ SOC is like 400 miles+ which can last me for awhile anyway.

I got drained only 7% while out of country for 4 weeks, then I get 1~2% drain a day when I got back home. The difference is my mobile phone is back home near the car, weather got a lot hotter and new OTA updates. Somewhere along the parameters is the culprit or all of above. Right now it seems trivial since charging to 85%+ SOC is like 400 miles+ which can last me for awhile anyway.

Sure, but here's why I'm trying to nail down this as a real issue. Just for the record, when charged to 100% go in garage, have car unlock then leave and let it go back to sleep car charges for about 15 minutes then is cold and dark until the next morning. No drain after it sleeps.

Lucid Air charged to 100% has no drain, zilch, nada...

When set to 80%, or daily, it gets to 80% drains down to 76% then recharges back to 80% approximately 3.5 hours. I'm going to test starting tomorrow night if this is consistent.

Here's the issue:

9 kW for 3.5 hours of charging again is $4.095 here, $124.64/month and $1,495/year

If one of the purposes of going electric is being responsible this is a waste of energy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-214438_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-214438_Chrome.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Here's the issue:

9 kW for 3.5 hours of charging again is $4.095 here, $124.64/month and $1,495/year

If one of the purposes of going electric is being responsible this is a waste of energy.
I agree and I would like to dig into further, but sadly I have no L2 charge at home, L1 charge is not working for me and I wouldn’t want to EA charge to 100%, so the saga will continues when I get that 100amp sub panel and NEMA 14-50 improvement.

It shouldn’t. It was inside my garage. But then again, what if I was outside, anyone can drive away with my fob inside. So I think that valet key card to carry inside wallet is essential.
Man if I was a thief and your Lucid didn’t lock with the fob inside it…wohoo free Lucid!

When set to 80%, or daily, it gets to 80% drains down to 76% then recharges back to 80% approximately 3.5 hours.
Something is very wrong if it takes 3.5 hours to add 4% to the SOC with a 9 kW charger. This should take about 35 minutes assuming 85% charging efficiency.

Here's the issue:

Where do you live that has 13c/kW in summer? Here in Houston, our rate is going to 18c/kW now

Something is very wrong if it takes 3.5 hours to add 4% to the SOC with a 9 kW charger. This should take about 35 minutes assuming 85% charging efficiency.
Yeah any vampire drain replacement I’ve seen when it’s refilling back up to 80% takes about 20-30 min on my 9kw home plug.

Sure, but here's why I'm trying to nail down this as a real issue. Just for the record, when charged to 100% go in garage, have car unlock then leave and let it go back to sleep car charges for about 15 minutes then is cold and dark until the next morning. No drain after it sleeps.

Lucid Air charged to 100% has no drain, zilch, nada...

When set to 80%, or daily, it gets to 80% drains down to 76% then recharges back to 80% approximately 3.5 hours. I'm going to test starting tomorrow night if this is consistent.

Here's the issue:

I’m glad you did this test and brought this up, as it’s a valid point. However your math only applies if you plug in every night and charge back up to 80%, and really experience drain of 4% while plugged in overnight consistently. I usually plug in once per week or less, and when the car hits 80% and then wakes up in the AM it has lost more like 1-2%, and total energy costs where I’m at (delivery charge, supply charge, efficiency charge, etc) adds up to .18 per kW total, so you’re replacing maybe 2.5kw once per week due to drain which is a couple hundred dollars a year, not $1,400, still not zero but way less than your math estimates. If you plug in every single night though I can see how it would be an issue, and Lucid does recommend doing that, I just don’t follow their recommendation because battery degradation probably isn’t much of a problem with this car, it barely is with 100k mile Teslas that have been mostly fast charged and run down to very low SOC repeatedly (I think InsideEVs test showed 9% degradation over 100k miles).

I think you are missing the point. Yes software is complicated and hard to implement. No one is refuting that point. The point is we are being charged 139k-180k for a inferior product that actually works on vehicles that cost 1/3rd. the price. Work on software should have been started sooner, with a different team or the actual production of the cars stalled until they were at a semi competent level of operation. The Air does not just have a few minor glitches. A lot does not work properly.

Yeah any vampire drain replacement I’ve seen when it’s refilling back up to 80% takes about 20-30 min on my 9kw home plug.

I’m glad you did this test and brought this up, as it’s a valid point. However your math only applies if you plug in every night and charge back up to 80%, and really experience drain of 4% while plugged in overnight consistently. I usually plug in once per week or less, and when the car hits 80% and then wakes up in the AM it has lost more like 1-2%, and total energy costs where I’m at (delivery charge, supply charge, efficiency charge, etc) adds up to .18 per kW total, so you’re replacing maybe 2.5kw once per week due to drain which is a couple hundred dollars a year, not $1,400, still not zero but way less than your math estimates. If you plug in every single night though I can see how it would be an issue, and Lucid does recommend doing that, I just don’t follow their recommendation because battery degradation probably isn’t much of a problem with this car, it barely is with 100k mile Teslas that have been mostly fast charged and run down to very low SOC repeatedly (I think InsideEVs test showed 9% degradation over 100k miles).

You sort of stole my thunder!

The car is cycling. Once it reaches 80% the car shouldn't be recharging if it doesn't with a 100% charge. We'll know tomorrow. I'll have to take the long way home to get battery below 80%...

Starting the 80% test.
View attachment 3746

Will see what it does over the next several days after it has to recharge to 80% after use.
Cool, I’ll be another data point, I’m charging to 80% tonight too and will see what SOC% it is in the AM as soon as I wake the vehicle up. Here’s what I suspect will happen, I started at 20% SOC so it’s going to only have been charged to 80% for about 30 min to an hour by the time I leave for work tomorrow AM, so it’s unlikely I’ll see much if any vampire drain. If however I plugged in before I went to bed at 70% SOC and charged to 80% then I bet we’d see greater vampire drain because the car had been sitting while not charging for longer.

Since I was charging to 100% I plugged in at 80% so there was no charge to battery over the night. I will take the long way home again to get at least a 15% drop in SoC.

Cool, I’ll be another data point, I’m charging to 80% tonight too and will see what SOC% it is in the AM as soon as I wake the vehicle up. Here’s what I suspect will happen, I started at 20% SOC so it’s going to only have been charged to 80% for about 30 min to an hour by the time I leave for work tomorrow AM, so it’s unlikely I’ll see much if any vampire drain. If however I plugged in before I went to bed at 70% SOC and charged to 80% then I bet we’d see greater vampire drain because the car had been sitting while not charging for longer.
Check your drain when you get back in the car after work. I find that the drain continues a few hours after a charging session.

Check your drain when you get back in the car after work. I find that the drain continues a few hours after a charging session.
That is when I see the drain. It occurs within a few hours after charging and I lose 3-4% of the battery during those hours. If I don’t charge, the drain is only 2-3 miles overnight.

That is when I see the drain. It occurs within a few hours after charging and I lose 3-4% of the battery during those hours. If I don’t charge, the drain is only 2-3 miles overnight.
Identical to what I’ve had since taking delivery in May. Every charging session outside of an immediate road trip after unplugging. EA is 5.5 miles from my house, so when I charge I lose ~4% in the few hours after parking in my garage. Charging at home and driving to work is 16 miles, still lose ~4% after parking at my shop. Otherwise, most nights I won’t lose miles.

Interestingly enough my charging session, which I set to daily going from 20% to 80% (I’m assuming Daily should be 80%) finished at 4AM. When I got in the car at 6AM, SOC was 75%, so that was a 5% vampire drain in only 2 hours, which is a lot more than I normally get (usually 1-2%). I did not lock the car with the Fob when I started charging overnight, so I wonder if the vehicle wasn’t appropriately asleep after charge finished. It was 71% SOC when I got to work which fits with my commute, so I’ll keep an eye on it and see what happens in the next 24hr. I did just do the software update so that’s probably gonna add drain to do the update.

Back