Vampire Drain Analysis

Can we compile a list of vampire drain best practices preventative measures?

Perhaps:

1. Turn off home Wi Fi connection overnight.
2. Turn off Bluetooth overnight.
3. Store key fobs away from vehicle.
4. Turn off phone app.

Or maybe these are counter-productive and best to just live with it?
Except infrequent checking in the phone app, even I didn’t have WiFi and Bluetooth turned off and fobs are in faraday pouch, the vampire drain for me is like 0.6% SOC per day whenever I get out of town, which is rather insignificant.

Unless you are parking somewhere for 2 months like in airport, you can easily get those drain on quick charge.

From different forums I read, MB has least amount of drain, I suppose maybe bc their LV battery is at 48V and they actually have “start” button” to let car goes fully sleep. Our Air has onboard computers awake on stealth mode uploading and downloading data for future improvement.

My vampire drain has dropped substantially with warmer garage temps. Going from 30-40 degrees overnight to 50-60 degrees overnight has cut the vampire drain by 50-60%. I’m at 0.5% SOC overnight drain now. It was 1-1.5%. Also, daytime temps have gone up from 40 to 75-80 degrees. I think these batteries are like humans. 70-80 degrees seems optimal.

10 days vampire drain only 4%. Not bad. 72 to 68. Charged to 80% and drove home to 75. The battery cooling lowered it to 72 soon after I was home.

For 30 days summer vacation, we parked our EVs at home in garage (not under the Texas summer sun) with no plan to charge to top up during this vampire drain test period. I took a snapshots of State Of Charge for all 3 family EV before and after the trip.

BA519F97-E660-4D59-80A1-92F82CA1A54B.jpeg

Lucid Air GT
80%
112kWh x 80% = 89.60 kWh

A2800A22-05F4-4231-8C66-39FF04381C88.jpeg

Rivian R1S LE
82%
135kWh x 82% = 110.70 kWh

1AE76469-FADE-4D5D-A099-E0F005FB63FB.jpeg

Polestar 2 LR
85%
78kWh x 85% = 66.30 kWh

After exact 30 days of unplugged, here are the ending State of Charge…

D3913A41-C653-41FB-A2DF-CD3C69AFE7F9.png

Lucid Air GT
72%
112kWh x 72% = 80.64 kWh

1BAF20B2-5E9B-4049-B202-38BFA285A2B4.png

Rivian R1S LE
56%
135kWh x 56% = 75.60 kWh

E4827ED3-5A7F-44AA-BB0C-F2888A9D5603.jpeg

Polestar 2 LR
82%
78kWh x 82% = 63.96 kWh

The result are
Air GT lost 8%
112kWh x -8% = -8.96 kWhh

R1S LE lost 26%
135kWh x -26% = -25.1 kWh

Polestar 2 lost 4%
78kWh x -4% = -3.12 kWh

Relative energy lost after 30 days from start
Lucid Air GT = -8.96kWh / 89.60kWh = -10.00%

Rivian R1S LE = -25.1kWh / 110.70 kWh = -22.67%

Polestar 2 LR = -3.12 kWh / 66.30 kWh = -4.71%

Polestar being smallest EV outperformed in least amount of vampire drain with average 0.10 kWh daily loss on 30 days average.

Rivian being largest battery and most software features incurred the most amount of vampire drain with average 0.84 kWh daily loss on 30 days average.

Lucid being in the middle of cabin size and battery pack size had very impressive amount of vampire drain with daily average 0.30 kWh daily loss on 30 days average.

***Coincidentally All 3 EVs did not had OTA software update push during the same period; and checking status from app was minimal at twice during 30 days period.

The result are
Air GT lost 8%
112kWh x -8% = -8.96 kWhh

R1S LE lost 26%
135kWh x -26% = -25.1 kWh

Polestar 2 lost 4%
78kWh x -4% = -3.12 kWh

Relative energy lost after 30 days from start
Lucid Air GT = -8.96kWh / 89.60kWh = -10.00%

Rivian R1S LE = -25.1kWh / 110.70 kWh = -22.67%

Polestar 2 LR = -3.12 kWh / 66.30 kWh = -4.71%

Polestar being smallest EV outperformed in least amount of vampire drain with average 0.10 kWh daily loss on 30 days average.

Rivian being largest battery and most software features incurred the most amount of vampire drain with average 0.84 kWh daily loss on 30 days average.

Lucid being in the middle of cabin size and battery pack size had very impressive amount of vampire drain with daily average 0.30 kWh daily loss on 30 days average.

***Coincidentally All 3 EVs did not had OTA software update push during the same period; and checking status from app was minimal at twice during 30 days period.
Thanks for posting the useful data.
I cringe when thinking about the impact on the environment from all the EVs' vampire drain.
To me, this is akin to having a leaky faucet wasting precious resource.
Incidentally, vampire drain in EQS is practically non-existent, but I haven't done a formal study like yours.

Last edited:
Thanks for the data! Our Volvo XC40EV, very similer internals to your Polestar 2, also has very low vampire drain. Volvo did a great job of engineering sleep states on those cars.

30 days of vacation! Awesome life.

You don’t know my long term 12-16 hours work day schedule. 30 days vacation can hardly even make up those loss family time. 🤔

Thanks for posting. The Rivian’s drain is super disappointing. I just got access to the R1Shop and snagged an R1S that matched my reservation. Hope to have it within a month. Rivian really needs to solve the vampire drain issue and your Polestar proves it can be done. Lucid should improve as well!

Thanks for posting. The Rivian’s drain is super disappointing. I just got access to the R1Shop and snagged an R1S that matched my reservation. Hope to have it within a month. Rivian really needs to solve the vampire drain issue and your Polestar proves it can be done. Lucid should improve as well!

I realized I should have turned off its Gear Guard motion sensor. Despite it is on, it is set geofenced to not activate at home. Regardless, I just know Rivian has always been drained more other EVs, I would consider that as its Achilles’ heel. However Rivian has great user interface and rich utilitarian features, I would even consider it better than Tesla in software intuitiveness and layout. One the other hand, Lucid wins in best driver handling and aesthetic cabin design.

I am losing 3 miles/day in my Touring. This seems quite excessive to me. I know other brands lose next to nothing!

Based on your test, and using about 4 miles/KWh, you are only losing about 1 mile/day.

I'm waiting for Lucid Customer Care to contact me to fix this.

BTW... You are all lucky you are not being called out by the monitors for mentioning other manufacturers!

I am losing 3 miles/day in my Touring. This seems quite excessive to me. I know other brands lose next to nothing!

Based on your test, and using about 4 miles/KWh, you are only losing about 1 mile/day.

BTW... You are all lucky you are not being called out by the monitors for mentioning other manufacturers!
Three miles a day is more than you should be losing. I generally lose a little less than a mile. Are you sure nothing is waking the car overnight?

Also, what is giving you the impression that mentioning another brand will get you in trouble? I have found comparisons to be very friendly discussions, and even when there is an "argument," its usually just some of us debating points of the comparison.

Three miles a day is more than you should be losing. I generally lose a little less than a mile. Are you sure nothing is waking the car overnight?
I wonder if he has the Lucid app running in the background? I thought the app was "closed" when it was not on screen (by swiping up) but my son taught me how to properly "close" an app, and showed me that I had half a dozen or so apps open and running in the background, draining my phone battery, and as it turns out, waking up my car constantly because the 30 meter range of the mobile key on my phone. Since I learned how to "close" the Lucid app. life is much better. I now have full control over when my car wakes, and can work in the garage peacefully.

Oh, there are other ways to be called out by the monitors ... ; (

I have been away from home for a couple of 12 day trips with the car unplugged and I lose 3% SOC over 12 days or about 1 mile per day. The drain seems very consistent to me and to be an acceptable level.

Thanks for the data! Our Volvo XC40EV, very similer internals to your Polestar 2, also has very low vampire drain. Volvo did a great job of engineering sleep states on those cars.
Drove Volvo wagons for two decades...love them. Since Lucid has no interest in small cars I'm going to check out the small Volvo EVs when they get sorted. Thanks for the info. I want to dump the wife's Mazda 6 and the "back-up for the kid's visiting" 328 and go all in.
I predict that in 10 years you won't be able to "get rid" of your ICE cars, so doing a garage cleaning now.

Last edited:
Drove Volvo wagons for two decades...love them. Since Lucid has no interest in small cars I'm going to check out the small Volvo EVs when they get sorted. Thanks for the info. I want to dump the wife's Mazda 6 and the "back-up for the kid's visiting" 328 and go all in.
I predict that in 10 years you won't be able to "get rid" of your ICE cars, so doing a garage cleaning now.
I also prefer a smaller car, hence my Genesis GV60 Performance (177" long, just over 74" wide). After four days of not using my car, and having charged it to 80%, I still had 79% SOC remaining.

I know I am in the minority who prefer a smaller car and it is extremely difficult to find an EV that is small, luxurious and powerful. Most car companies force you to go up in size to get luxury features and more power. The GV60 hit all three for me.

Lucid is planning a model 3/Y competitor. So that might be the small car from Lucid but we are talking a few years out.

I recently turned off wifi and my daily vampire drain went from about 3/4% per day to about 1/4% per day...

Back