USB Media Problem

Jack V

Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
USB Media Problem
I continue to have a problem with the USB port. The port will play the recorded music on the memory stick. However, once the car locks and you try to access the USB port again, the response is that one must check for the proper formatting of the music on the memory. This is nonsensical since the music played properly before. You must now unplug the memory stick and insert it again and only then will the system reload the music and play it normally. I have confirmed the problem with other cars at the dealer months ago but the problem persists. Has anybody else experienced this?
Jack.

My only issue with USB media is that I can't shuffle songs, and it won't auto play the next song when I select "genre" or any of the categories..

My only issue with USB media is that I can't shuffle songs, and it won't auto play the next song when I select "genre" or any of the categories..
I wish there was a folder view. Current implementation is unusable for me.

Also I ran into the problem today someone else pointed out.

My car got stuck playing only ehf first 40 songs and selecting a song further down wouldn't change it.

Unplug and plug it back in to fix it.
Still wish there was a shuffle

I wish there was a folder view. Current implementation is unusable for me.
I was finally able to get mine to work today and then quickly realized that multiple albums just get mixed together. The sound was great, but it’s also unusable for me. Added to my list of grievances. Back to CarPlay streaming for me.

I'm wanting to carry a USB drive to Plano to test out this feature on my test drive.

My recollection is that the connectors in the console are such that the drive will need to stick straight up.

A search doesn't find any mention of a problem here, but my first time in the car I didn't pay much attention to the console ports other than "yup, there they are". Has anyone had an issue getting a thumb drive to fit under the console lid?

Thanks to both doon and Tim. I have a USB-C extension cable around here somewhere. I'll try to find it and take it with me just in case.

I use a flush style USB drive ... fits well. I just don't like how there is a lack of playlists or folder playback. Here's a link to the drive I'm using:

$12 for 256gb

I used that, since I was using it in another car and found that it loaded slowly, but I had a lot on it. The guy from Lucid who is in charge of the software for USB audio (I ran into him at Lucid in Newark and we talked briefly) suggested a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0842NYBHN which has a USB-C port at one end. There's also a version with a lightning port on one side. He said that using the USB-C side will give better performance. The other side can be used with your respective computer. It did better than the compact one, but was still not as good as I expected. Plus it's more clumsy than the compact one.

I use a flush style USB drive ... fits well. I just don't like how there is a lack of playlists or folder playback. Here's a link to the drive I'm using:

$12 for 256gb
Yes, I find this feature disappointing. Next to Dolby Atmos, using a flash drive provides the best possible sound quality. Sadly, nobody at Lucid has made it useful after many months, so I try to forget about the capability until the day I find out somebody invested time and made it work. Still holding out hope, but not holding my breath.

Yes, I find this feature disappointing. Next to Dolby Atmos, using a flash drive provides the best possible sound quality. Sadly, nobody at Lucid has made it useful after many months, so I try to forget about the capability until the day I find out somebody invested time and made it work. Still holding out hope, but not holding my breath.

When I spoke to the person at Lucid who is in charge of that part of the software, I was told that he uses it personally. So hopefully it will improve. My big issue for now is that it rescans the drive whenever the car is used, which can take some time. I was told it was necessary without being told why it's necessary, given the design. I don't see why it precludes saving a copy of the parsed directory in a file on the USB device itself, starting with that, and then doing a sanity check in the background. Picking something in the interim that has disappeared would cause a hiccup, but it would still be an improvement. Unfortunately, Lucid doesn't want customers emailing developers.

When I spoke to the person at Lucid who is in charge of that part of the software, I was told that he uses it personally. So hopefully it will improve. My big issue for now is that it rescans the drive whenever the car is used, which can take some time. I was told it was necessary without being told why it's necessary, given the design. I don't see why it precludes saving a copy of the parsed directory in a file on the USB device itself, starting with that, and then doing a sanity check in the background. Picking something in the interim that has disappeared would cause a hiccup, but it would still be an improvement. Unfortunately, Lucid doesn't want customers emailing developers.
Honest question, don't all USB media devices operate this way? They always rescan and build the directory when powered up?

Honest question, don't all USB media devices operate this way? They always rescan and build the directory when powered up?
No. Tesla scans it once when I plug the device in and select the source. After that, it normally does not. If I don't unplug the USB device or power off the car completely (I assume), I don't see why Lucid has to lose the information. The problem I have with the rescan is that it takes several minutes, and that means selecting something while driving, for practical purposes, or taking my eyes off the road. It does seem to remember where I left off if I leave the car and come back, so it's clearly saving some information.

No. Tesla scans it once when I plug the device in and select the source. After that, it normally does not. If I don't unplug the USB device or power off the car completely (I assume), I don't see why Lucid has to lose the information. The problem I have with the rescan is that it takes several minutes, and that means selecting something while driving, for practical purposes, or taking my eyes off the road. It does seem to remember where I left off if I leave the car and come back, so it's clearly saving some information.
That means Tesla is storing data locally. Historically, Lucid has been against this and prior to the USB media stick had said they would never allow access to the car's HD. Thing have and can change, so let's hope they update the capability.

That means Tesla is storing data locally. Historically, Lucid has been against this and prior to the USB media stick had said they would never allow access to the car's HD. Thing have and can change, so let's hope they update the capability.

I'd be fine with them using a local directory on the USB device. Tesla does that for some things, provided that the user create a directory with a specific name. I don't think that users could complain that Lucid wrote to their device in a directory called Lucid Cache that the users created themselves. Of course, if they read from that directory, they'd still have to scan in the background to see if anything changed, unless they determine that the device was never unplugged. Since the car is always on using a minor amount of energy, they wouldn't necessarily have to store any data that's not already there.

Even though they don't save the directory information, they do save the location of the song/content being played and resume from that spot. So they are saving something.

You can cache the directory listing without storing the files, and only re-load the metadata on those that have been modified or don’t already exist. Takes up minimal space and achieves the goal of fast load time.

You can cache the directory listing without storing the files, and only re-load the metadata on those that have been modified or don’t already exist. Takes up minimal space and achieves the goal of fast load time.

That's what I thought and that's what Tesla does. I don't know why Lucid doesn't but the person in charge of that said that they can't and I didn't press him for why. Lucid doesn't give out contact information for developers so short of standing outside the headquarters in Newark hoping to run into him, I don't expect to find out why Lucid doesn't do that. When it does load, the car knows what track I left off on, so clearly they are keeping track of something.

That's what I thought and that's what Tesla does. I don't know why Lucid doesn't but the person in charge of that said that they can't and I didn't press him for why. Lucid doesn't give out contact information for developers so short of standing outside the headquarters in Newark hoping to run into him, I don't expect to find out why Lucid doesn't do that. When it does load, the car knows what track I left off on, so clearly they are keeping track of something.
If I worked for Lucid and another employee gave out my contact information, I’d rightly be super pissed and probably resign over it.

That would be a massive violation of my privacy.

Back