USB Media Format

AZLucidGuy

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT, Tesla 3
I am having issues with getting music to load via the USB port. I connect my USB SSD drive to the port and it says "Loading 10%...". Then a few seconds later says something about checking the media format.

The drive is formatted as ExFAT. See link for the drive I have which is a Sabrent 1TB external Rocket.

The music files are .flac

Some are at the root level of the drive and some are in folders.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

I am having issues with getting music to load via the USB port. I connect my USB SSD drive to the port and it says "Loading 10%...". Then a few seconds later says something about checking the media format.

The drive is formatted as ExFAT. See link for the drive I have which is a Sabrent 1TB external Rocket.

The music files are .flac

Some are at the root level of the drive and some are in folders.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

The format used by Lucid is FAT32.
I couldn't use ExFAT.

When in doubt, always chose the lowest dominator which is FAT32. FAT32 has been around for ages and most systems support FAT32 partition.

True but so limited. High res audio files can exceed 4 gig and would not be violations with FAT32. But I am reformatting the drive now for FAT32 which Windows 10/11 forces you to do at the command line because Microsoft discourages FAT32 on volumes larger than 32 GB.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 120
Ridgecrop has a handy FAT32 formatter tool. Had to use it on my Tesla's USB drive, and now for my Air.

Don't know but our other AAOS-based EV is also limited to FAT32. Could be that Google only supports FAT32 and vfat.

True but so limited. High res audio files can exceed 4 gig and would not be violations with FAT32. But I am reformatting the drive now for FAT32 which Windows 10/11 forces you to do at the command line because Microsoft discourages FAT32 on volumes larger than 32 GB.
You can also use vfat, which is marginally better in that it allows longer file names.

When I plugged in my flashdrive into the USB port I got this rather unhelpful message.

“Check that your flash drive is properly formatted and that it has readable media files”.

I used ExFAT. Should I just erase the flash drive, reformat using something else, and then reload my albums?

I’m using a late 2013 iMac/Catalina. The only other choices to reformat besides ExFAT are MS-DOS FAT, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled).

When I plugged in my flashdrive into the USB port I got this rather unhelpful message.

“Check that your flash drive is properly formatted and that it has readable media files”.

I used ExFAT. Should I just erase the flash drive, reformat using something else, and then reload my albums?

I’m using a late 2013 iMac/Catalina. The only other choices to reformat besides ExFAT are MS-DOS FAT, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled).

Disregard question above. I worked it out. MS-DOS FAT.

You can also use vfat, which is marginally better in that it allows longer file names.
Got it working. 208 GB of music on a FAT32 volume.

The Lucid can playback flac files up to 192K sampling rates. Anything higher res or DSD will not play. But that’s pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
This would be good as a sticky:
1) How to format the USB drive on a mac
2) How to format the USB drive on a PC (to FAT32, use GUI Fat32Format from Ridgecrop Consultants http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?download.htm)
3) Which music file formats work, are best, and/or retain album artwork

I finally got a USB to format to FAT32 and loaded about a dozen songs (.mp3) and it is actually recognized by the infotainment, I can see the songs, but none of them will actually play. Any hints on what to try next?

It is curious why car manufacturers (not just Lucid) are behind the curve. FAT32 is an old and rather primitive file format. Microsoft replaced it with exFAT (designed specifically for external drives). I would be happy if the car could read NTFS formatted drives. I'm not certain if this is a technological issue or is related to royalties.
On a related topic, I realize why automotive manufacturers have done away with external radio antennas (wind resistance), but it would be great if Lucid could implement a better antenna for over-the-air radio broadcasts. It seems many folks are satisfied with cellular delivered music services (most of which require a paid subscription), but I still prefer OTA radio, which has reception issues in my Lucid.

It is curious why car manufacturers (not just Lucid) are behind the curve. FAT32 is an old and rather primitive file format. Microsoft replaced it with exFAT (designed specifically for external drives). I would be happy if the car could read NTFS formatted drives. I'm not certain if this is a technological issue or is related to royalties.
On a related topic, I realize why automotive manufacturers have done away with external radio antennas (wind resistance), but it would be great if Lucid could implement a better antenna for over-the-air radio broadcasts. It seems many folks are satisfied with cellular delivered music services (most of which require a paid subscription), but I still prefer OTA radio, which has reception issues in my Lucid.
Agree. Sucks in my Jag too. I listen to a lot of talk radio and now use streaming for even local stations.

Agree. Sucks in my Jag too. I listen to a lot of talk radio and now use streaming for even local stations.

Is that what it is, poor antenna performance rather than reception in the area? Doesn’t seem to matter where I drive south of the 8, FM radio reception seems weak, with almost constant static hissing in the background.

Shall have to try streaming to listen to my local radio stations.

Likely because there is a large licensing fee to use exFAT.

Back