Trunk won't close, but opens fine

rao_94583

Verified Owner
Cars
AT, Audi e-tron GT
The trunk on my AT suddenly stopped closing this morning. We made a ~400 mile trip down to Southern California on Friday, and everything was fine yesterday. I plugged the car in to a 14-50 socket to charge overnight, which went smoothly, but when I went to put the charging cable back into the trunk, I found it wouldn't close.

A logo reset did not help. Neither the physical button, or the dash control (or the app) work. Opening continues to be fine.

Any tips? I'd like to avoid having to ship that car yet again to the service center.

The trunk on my AT suddenly stopped closing this morning. We made a ~400 mile trip down to Southern California on Friday, and everything was fine yesterday. I plugged the car in to a 14-50 socket to charge overnight, which went smoothly, but when I went to put the charging cable back into the trunk, I found it wouldn't close.

A logo reset did not help. Neither the physical button, or the dash control (or the app) work. Opening continues to be fine.

Any tips? I'd like to avoid having to ship that car yet again to the service center.
Close the trunk manually. Two hands, firm pressure right in the middle of the trunk (don't slam) to close it. With luck, you should hear the lock engage and it should work normally.

Close the trunk manually. Two hands, firm pressure right in the middle of the trunk (don't slam) to close it. With luck, you should hear the lock engage and it should work normally.
Thanks. I thought I did exactly that -- the trunk closes fine if I do it manually, and then opens properly, but then won't power-close. But I'll do it again and see.

But since you can close it manually and open it via dash or app, don't worry about it too much. Set up an appointment for after the holidays if it doesn't resolve itself. Cheers!

As mysteriously as it stopped working, it started working too. The software engineer in me is screaming -- "Can I see the logs?"

Oh well.

lol, glad I’m not a software engineer otherwise I’d not enjoy this car as much as I do. Mysterious no audio after charging, lane assist preferences changing after updates, call volumes muffled, gps failures, car not automatically locking after walking away, these are just some of the very infrequent gremlins that I have experienced

As mysteriously as it stopped working, it started working too. The software engineer in me is screaming -- "Can I see the logs?"

Oh well.

I just chalk it up to one of life’s great mysteries. Like why does every checkout line I choose automatically become the slowest?🤔

Did you leave it open overnight? The trunk requires a manual close after some amount of time (10min? 20min? I don’t remember)

Did you leave it open overnight? The trunk requires a manual close after some amount of time (10min? 20min? I don’t remember)
I read that too, but no -- the car was charging all night, and I opened the trunk to put the charging cable bag back into it. Then it wouldn't close.

I read that too, but no -- the car was charging all night, and I opened the trunk to put the charging cable bag back into it. Then it wouldn't close.
Then I have no idea, lol

Over the last couple of days I’ve had a situation where the trunk appears to close but the pilot panel indicates it’s open. What apparently is happening is the latch isn’t fully engaging. The workaround is simple, I simply put a bit of upward (counterintuitive) pressure on the trunk lid and that seems to trigger the latch to fully engage. The issue & ‘fix’ is very repeatable.

It‘s certainly no emergency, but is this something that mobile service can fix?

Over the last couple of days I’ve had a situation where the trunk appears to close but the pilot panel indicates it’s open. What apparently is happening is the latch isn’t fully engaging. The workaround is simple, I simply put a bit of upward (counterintuitive) pressure on the trunk lid and that seems to trigger the latch to fully engage. The issue & ‘fix’ is very repeatable.

It‘s certainly no emergency, but is this something that mobile service can fix?
They can certainly try to adjust it, but if they have to replace it they may want to take it to the shop.

I actually am running into this now. Car is less than 100 miles on the odometer and the trunk was closing just fine over the weekend.

Went to work this morning and could open the trunk but could not close it. Pilot panel, button on trunk and key fob would not close the trunk. I had to manually close it. I drove to work and tried again there and it still wouldn't close. It would only open.

I called service and within 45 minutes a mobile service tech is looking at my trunk now. He said if he can't fix it, I will need to send it into service and get a loaner. Huge bummer for the first 100 miles of a new car.

Mobile service was able to remedy my issue. Apparently some part became loose and the service tech said that whoever caught it didnt know where the part went and it fell into an area where the hinge closes so it was scraping against the hinge and refused to close. He also found the sealing was cut up. They are going to replace both parts in a future service and see if they can do it via mobile service and if not, they will do it at the service center and ill get a loaner.

The scratches are ouch!

Kudos to Lucid. Was out to me and fixed it via mobile service within 2 hours of my call! Crazy fast.

lucid1.jpg
lucid2.jpg

Pretty sure I brought this up in a prior thread that probably went off-topic with me talking about sandwiches or something, but...the friggin' trunk issue persists after three extended service sleepovers, the most recent of which was last week. The trunk usually operates as intended (electronically opens/closes/stays shut), and nothing problematic occurred in the first few days of it back in my possession last week. This issue then presented itself (as it does occasionally, once a week or so) when I closed the trunk electronically using the key/app/pilot panel, with the app/pilot panel confirming the trunk has been closed, and then received a notification a few hours later that the trunk is open. As before, I returned to the car to find the trunk unlatched and effectively open to passersbys (on 6th and Mission in SF, eek), with the opening/closing movements behaving abnormally when I attempt to electronically close it: jerky inch-by-inch motions each time the button is pressed, requiring me to manually open and slam it shut (and in the past, potentially to have the same thing occur later in the same day). When I had the alarm enabled, it would occasionally trigger that as well, meaning I've been unable to use the alarm too.

I spoke with my SA about this and my only possible next move is a fourth extended service visit, which will be the fourth in four months for the same issue. Between that and the turtle-causing failure last month, I've had the car in service for the better part of a month in my first 5 months of ownership. Why do the things we love always hurt us the most? Anyone else encounter this issue, or anything to this magnitude of frustration that their SA was able to resolve? I feel like I'm approaching that point of insanity of repeating the same thing multiple times expecting a different outcome, and unlike asking my now-fiance for a date when we first met, I don't see as rosy an outcome here.

Your issue is worse than mine.

When I power close the trunk it looks like it’s closed but I get a message in the app saying trunk open.

If I check the left side of the trunk is indeed not closed.

I then have to manually press up on the trunk next to the latch and it will auto re-latch itself.

I’ve called service and left a message but have not received a call back. It’s been a week.

I doubt this applies to your plight but offering just in case: I encountered this (intentional designed) behavior in the ignorant-owner real world way: I left my trunk open for more than ~10 minutes, which triggered the "you don't know this but now you must manually heave your trunk lid down to close it" mode. I kinda get why, but would be nice if the car and/or the app and/or the taillights would give you some indication this is By Design. Now that I know, I've been trained... But yours sounds maybe more like a common Lucid challenge, getting these big flexible lightweight metal things to clasp measurably and reliably with ultra-tight tolerance edge gaps... they're working on improving that.

Yep I actually did have designed feature come into play once when I did leave the trunk open in the driveway, which was great! The other few dozen instances before and after that having closed it, no so great :( While I can't be totally sure what they're doing with my car in the service bay, I've been told they've realigned the trunk, fixed the latch/release mechanism, adjusted the sensitivity of something or other, whatever. Frankly I don't care; I just want it to work so I can park where I want with stuff in the trunk without worry - one of the biggest advantages of a sedan over an SUV/wagon. Some have even suggested I consider lemon law contingencies, but even if they were to replace it they don't even make the config I own anymore (AWD Pure, etc), so I ideally would want this one to get fixed. Or if I have to give it up, I'll try to score an AGT for $604/m as a conciliation. Wonder if that means they'll lease me a sapphire for 2x that.

Back