Too many things tied to driver profile

maractwin

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, '56 Imperial
Referral Code
4I1WO1JI
I'm in the middle of a long road trip, with two drivers trading off. The problem is, when we switch profiles, we lose the navigation map and audio that was playing. This is really aggravating having to keep setting these up again. The driver profile should just change the seat, mirrors, and driving preferences. Also, it seems to often choose the wrong profile, with no obvious pattern. It's not necessarily choosing the same person who drove previously, or the one who gets in the car first.

From my rough understanding of RFID, I'm not sure the car could know who is getting into the driver's seat if two people with fobs approach the car at the same time. (Although I definitely could be wrong.) Do you have face recognition set up? That may help. Or maybe the driver should approach the car 30 feet ahead?
As for what's attached to the profile, that's certainly a judgement call. I understand the audio being user-specific, the nav...maybe?, but having to add the garage door opener under both profiles felt super odd. So...yeah. Thankfully Lucid can improve these things in the future, although I suspect consensus on what should be user-specific is unlikely.

From my rough understanding of RFID, I'm not sure the car could know who is getting into the driver's seat if two people with fobs approach the car at the same time. (Although I definitely could be wrong.) Do you have face recognition set up? That may help. Or maybe the driver should approach the car 30 feet ahead?
As for what's attached to the profile, that's certainly a judgement call. I understand the audio being user-specific, the nav...maybe?, but having to add the garage door opener under both profiles felt super odd. So...yeah. Thankfully Lucid can improve these things in the future, although I suspect consensus on what should be user-specific is unlikely.
On all my previous cars, there were 2 or 3 buttons on the side of the door. You set up your mirrors, seating position, steering wheel etc and store the above in each button.

Press #1 button and all my positions automatically adjust to my preset positions. Press #2 button and all my wife's preset positions go into effect. Fast. easy and effective.

Since this technology is proven and been around for ages, why not just keep it, instead of all the software glitches we currently have to deal with.

I personally prefer a lot of settings tied into a profile. My other EV (not lucid) has the seating position, steering wheel position, radio stations, preferred drive mode, color scheme, and climate control settings all tied into a profile, so when I get in, it recognizes me and everything switches. When my wife gets in, it switches everything to her preferences. Much better than having to hunt through all the menus to find all the settings to my liking. Set it and forget it. We don't tend to switch who's driving on long trips, so don't run into the whole navigation and music resets, but I could see how that could get annoying.

On all my previous cars, there were 2 or 3 buttons on the side of the door. You set up your mirrors, seating position, steering wheel etc and store the above in each button.

Press #1 button and all my positions automatically adjust to my preset positions. Press #2 button and all my wife's preset positions go into effect. Fast. easy and effective.

Since this technology is proven and been around for ages, why not just keep it, instead of all the software glitches we currently have to deal with.

I've thought about this a lot over the past few years. I totally get why car companies want to eliminate extra single-function buttons (more things that cost money and can break) but relying on Bluetooth proximity, facial recognition, or whatever the trend is nowadays is just not reliable enough to replace what those buttons did so well.

This is why I've suggested many times at the very least, they should have a profile switching function in the app. It's still crude to pull out your phone and launch an app, but it would be way better than contorting myself between the steering wheel and seat as it is set for my wife to reach the center screen and dig for the profile controls.

I think the rule of thumb for designing these things should be: If I don't feel like James Bond getting in and out of this car, you failed.

Derek Jenkins' design team should be forced to watch videos of those of us with petite wives trying to get into our cars after they have been driving. For a whole day. You'd see a solution real quick.

Auto-detection is obviously the ideal. Until then, give me something that at least doesn't make me feel like an idiot.

I personally prefer a lot of settings tied into a profile. My other EV (not lucid) has the seating position, steering wheel position, radio stations, preferred drive mode, color scheme, and climate control settings all tied into a profile, so when I get in, it recognizes me and everything switches. When my wife gets in, it switches everything to her preferences. Much better than having to hunt through all the menus to find all the settings to my liking. Set it and forget it. We don't tend to switch who's driving on long trips, so don't run into the whole navigation and music resets, but I could see how that could get annoying.
I agree on all fronts except nav and music. Those two should probably be separate from profile. For the reasons stated by the O.P.

I'll go as far as to say even the passenger front seat should be connected to profile. I get that not everyone drives with the same passenger all the time, but I get annoyed having to manually set the passenger seat whenever my wife is driving. And vice versa. I'd love it to be an option, at least, to save that to profile.

We almost never drive anyone else anywhere. And if we do, those folks are almost always in the back, anyway.

Don't forget HomeLink - my wife just discovered she can't get in the gate or garage because her profile doesn't have it set up! How wonky is that.

Don't forget HomeLink - my wife just discovered she can't get in the gate or garage because her profile doesn't have it set up! How wonky is that.
Yeah, that's a tricky one. I totally see where 90% of people would want that not tied to profile at all. Then again, I could see if I had a summer and winter home, setting up "Joe Summer" and "Joe Winter" and having the profiles have different HomeLinks set for the two different garages.

Probably better just to rely on the multiple garage set up capability within the HomeLink settings, though. Set up HomeLink for as many garages as you need, then just set a "default" garage for each profile. Much better than having to do the whole setup for every profile.

True, but each profile has 15 HomeLinks...I also opted to just go for the Tailwind instead because of this annoyance =)

Sadly this is due to a security precaution within Android Automotive. Lucid had no choice in that matter.

In the 2015 Jeep we own, whichever person touches the driver's door has the settings programmed to that key fob, without fail. Also a 2007 Corvette worked the same way. I don't know why Lucid chose not to handle fob ID the same way.

In the 2015 Jeep we own, whichever person touches the driver's door has the settings programmed to that key fob, without fail. Also a 2007 Corvette worked the same way. I don't know why Lucid chose not to handle fob ID the same way.
It is supposed to work that way, except by proximity. The problem is that the load times are slow and driver profiles seem to be the LAST thing to load up, hence why the seats are not in the right position. After the 2.0 update with instant boot, I expect this to be less problematic as you would hope that in their rewrite of the software, driver seating might be loaded first instead of last.

Our Volvo EV also loses its navigation destination(s) every time the user profile is charged. It's a real pain on long road trips where we may have several waypoints programmed in. Our workaround is to leave the car stuck in one profile for the whole day. Fortunately it has physical buttons for seat positions and Homelink.

I just found out about this as well. My daughter took the car yesterday and changed to her profile. When she came back home, she realized that the Homelink list was empty.

Seems like an annoying oversight .. I have multiple garages and gates that I normally use and was excited that Lucid allowed me to store them all. But now, it's a bit unrealistic to have to re-do that for the 4 drivers in my family with profiles. No reason to store these by profile (and certainly no expectation of that since Homelink has traditionally been tied to fixed buttons).

Ironically, climate settings are NOT saved by profiles.

I just found out about this as well. My daughter took the car yesterday and changed to her profile. When she came back home, she realized that the Homelink list was empty.

Seems like an annoying oversight .. I have multiple garages and gates that I normally use and was excited that Lucid allowed me to store them all. But now, it's a bit unrealistic to have to re-do that for the 4 drivers in my family with profiles. No reason to store these by profile (and certainly no expectation of that since Homelink has traditionally been tied to fixed buttons).

I agree with this. I wish they would at least let us duplicate a profile and make changes from there.

This is unfortunately a limitation of Android Automotive, I’ve been told - it’s that way because of the AA security model. I don’t know if it’s possible for them to work around it, but maybe.

This is unfortunately a limitation of Android Automotive, I’ve been told - it’s that way because of the AA security model. I don’t know if it’s possible for them to work around it, but maybe.
hmm .. not sure how they implemented the profiles, so I can't speak to it ... hopefully, they'll offer the capability somehow (even if like @Bobby suggested it's a "duplicate" function). I'd hate to have to program 24 homelink connections (6 per profile) .. esp. if something goes wrong and I have to do it all again.

hmm .. not sure how they implemented the profiles, so I can't speak to it ... hopefully, they'll offer the capability somehow (even if like @Bobby suggested it's a "duplicate" function). I'd hate to have to program 24 homelink connections (6 per profile) .. esp. if something goes wrong and I have to do it all again.
Just to be clear, I agree it sucks, haha

Along the same lines (of having to re-program garage/gate codes), our neighborhood just installed an entrance gate. The good news is that I was able to add the connection to the Lucid using the remote w/o issue. The bad news is that I have to duplicate that four times now.

My question, however, is, "is the location of the garage (or gate) stored along with the connection?" i.e. when I pull up to my driveway, the Garage link is presented on the cockpit panel. Unfortunately, when I set up the gate link, I was in my garage (didn't feel like sitting at the entrance). Now, when I pull up to my driveway, it shows the garage and the gate .. but I'm not sure if it's just presenting the list or if it thinks the gate is in my garage. Note: when I approached the gate, Lucid did NOT present the Homelink connections. So, leaves me wondering if there is a waypoint stored w/ the Homelink connection, and, if so, can it be edited (after the fact)?

Anyone?

Along the same lines (of having to re-program garage/gate codes), our neighborhood just installed an entrance gate. The good news is that I was able to add the connection to the Lucid using the remote w/o issue. The bad news is that I have to duplicate that four times now.

My question, however, is, "is the location of the garage (or gate) stored along with the connection?" i.e. when I pull up to my driveway, the Garage link is presented on the cockpit panel. Unfortunately, when I set up the gate link, I was in my garage (didn't feel like sitting at the entrance). Now, when I pull up to my driveway, it shows the garage and the gate .. but I'm not sure if it's just presenting the list or if it thinks the gate is in my garage. Note: when I approached the gate, Lucid did NOT present the Homelink connections. So, leaves me wondering if there is a waypoint stored w/ the Homelink connection, and, if so, can it be edited (after the fact)?

Anyone?
It stores the location when you program it. It thinks the gate in in your garage.

Back