Time for something fun: a car memory test

I viewed it as general being the “integral” word and automotive/ev talk being a modifier, meaning it would be general automotive/general ev talk. Therefore, this is probably the best place to put this thread.

Also I have a question, why does nothing from this subsection show up in the what’s new?

Not nearly as impressive as the others on here:
74 New Yorker (the boat!)
82 Mazda rx7
66 gto (w/67 parts car)
68 le mans
91 Saturn sl1
94 Saturn sl2
06 durango
98 yukon
03 yukon
03 Acura tl
05 grand caravan (still have)
16 outlander (still have)
18 Chrysler 300
95 Isuzu trooper
10 ford explorer (still have)
06 Nissan xterra (still have)
23 lucid AT (still have - splits daily driver duties with the X)

Longer than I thought it’d be!

The older ones are hard because other than my first one, all the cars I've bought before 1999 were used, so I don't remember the car production year, only the year I put them into use.
1977 Plymouth Arrow
1970 MG Midget
1987 Toyota Celica
1989 Toyota Celica convertible
1990 Toyota MR2 (husband)
1991 Dodge Colt
1982 Ford F150 (husband0
1999 Toyota Celica convertible
2004 Toyota Yaris
2013 Hyundai Elantra (still have)
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV
2018 Honda Accord Turbo (husband, still have)
2022 Lucid Air (still have)

Not nearly as impressive as the others on here:
74 New Yorker (the boat!)
82 Mazda rx7
66 gto (w/67 parts car)
68 le mans
91 Saturn sl1
94 Saturn sl2
06 durango
98 yukon
03 yukon
03 Acura tl
05 grand caravan (still have)
16 outlander (still have)
18 Chrysler 300
95 Isuzu trooper
10 ford explorer (still have)
06 Nissan xterra (still have)
23 lucid AT (still have - splits daily driver duties with the X)

Longer than I thought it’d be!
“Not as impressive,” you say while having a rx7, gto, trooper, and a xterra. Seriously, that list is GOOD!

I had the fortune of discovering Acura when it first came to shore.
Bought an Integra under invoice and then the Legend. Both were shining stars among peers.
So well built and without a single issue.

The Volvo p1800ES was a 72 not a 71. One of the prettiest cars made and one of the modern cars with the worst handling ( live rear axle, leaf springs with canvas rebound straps)
my second ES is a fun car, with some MODS to fix handling & perf. First ES was manual was stock - still was fun to drive and got attention - even in Berkeley

Attachments

• 2023frontRt.jpg
    2023frontRt.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 31
My Car LIst:
1965 VW Bug (NEW) (First Car)
1969 Dodge Dart (NEW)
1965 Volvo 1800
1966 Volvo 122 Wagon
196? VW Bug (Wife’s car before we married)
1983 Toyota Tercel (NEW)
1985 Volvo 240 Wagon
1989 Ford Windstar (NEW)
1989 Toyota Corolla
1989 Ford Ranger
19?? Toyota Camry
20?? Toyota Prius
2014 Subaru Outback (NEW)
2017 Toyota Prius (NEW) Wife’s car
2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring - Zenith Red (NEW) (My Late Life Crisis Car)

Don't hold me to the model year.

Like reading y'all's anecdotes. Anticipating memory loss, a few years ago I assembled attached pic collage of some of my early vehicles..
bet nobody can name them all (hint the interior pic belongs to the convertible)!

lower right is 1965 Sport Fury I bought for $250 on my 16th BD in 1977. At test drive, battery was dead. We jumped started it and seller taught me how to drive a stick (4spd console) on the test drive. Spent a year in high school body shop (vocational training program) straightening 1/4 panel and prepping it for Miracle to shoot some Emerald green topcoat.
My first new car in 1983 (the red coupe) was the first model year of a German car now on its 40th model year

Attachments

• OtherCarsCollage.jpg
    OtherCarsCollage.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
1960 VW Beetle.
1970 VW Beetle.
1978 VW Rabbit diesel.
1979 VW Rabbit diesel
1982 VW Rabbit diesel
1984 MB 190D diesel, manual transmission
1989 Saab 900
1996 VW Passat diesel
2006 VW Jetta diesel.
2015 Tesla S
2023 lucid Air Pure

The Tesla and Lucid are the only two cars I’ve ever owned that didn’t have a clutch pedal.

1960 VW Beetle.
1970 VW Beetle.
1978 VW Rabbit diesel.
1979 VW Rabbit diesel
1982 VW Rabbit diesel
1989 Saab 900
1996 VW Passat diesel
2006 VW Jetta diesel.
2015 Tesla S
2023 lucid Air Pure

The Tesla and Lucid are the only two cars I’ve ever owned that didn’t have a clutch pedal.
Same here. I never even considered an automatic. Whatever they say about modern PDKs and such being faster, I just enjoy driving stick so much more.

1960 VW Beetle.
1970 VW Beetle.
1978 VW Rabbit diesel.
1979 VW Rabbit diesel
1982 VW Rabbit diesel
1989 Saab 900
1996 VW Passat diesel
2006 VW Jetta diesel.
2015 Tesla S
2023 lucid Air Pure

Same here. I never even considered an automatic. Whatever they say about modern PDKs and such being faster, I just enjoy driving stick so much more.

Agree, manual is fun and empowering!

If EV's didnt exist, I would completely disagree. Sometimes you don't want fun, you just want a easier and less stressful commute. I would tend to favor paddle shifters then.

However, with EV's, you can now have a relaxed car AND a manual car instead of two manual cars. EV's are perfect for daily cars.

My little '98 Boxter isn't fast, by any means. But when I'm shifting and using the clutch, I just feel so connected to the car. I feel like I'm driving, not just steering. Every limb of my body is involved. It's visceral.

Any time I tried paddle shifters, it felt like I was playing a video game. And after five minutes in traffic, I just popped it back into automatic and let it do its thing.

I know, that makes me an old man.

My little '98 Boxter isn't fast, by any means. But when I'm shifting and using the clutch, I just feel so connected to the car. I feel like I'm driving, not just steering. Every limb of my body is involved. It's visceral.

Any time I tried paddle shifters, it felt like I was playing a video game. And after five minutes in traffic, I just popped it back into automatic and let it do its thing.

I know, that makes me an old man.
Fair opinion. After all, I'm USED to video games, so that could be a factor. I just think of manuals as tiring in regular day to day traffic, but for mountain carving? Go for it!(unless the clutch is a piece of garbage)

At the risk of turning this into yet another Porsche appreciation thread, I feel very much the same about my 968. It's not quick but you drive it.

1992 Toyota Corolla
1993 Hyundai Excel
1999 BMW 323i
2003 Inifini G35
2005 Subaru WRX
2006 Porsche Cayman S
2006 Cayenne Turbo
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 Honda S2000
2007 Porsche Carrera
2009 Mini Cooper S
2009 BMW 550i Gran Turismo
2012 BMW X5
2015 BMW X5
2017 Subaru Crosstrek

Current
2019 Tesla Model 3
2021 Tesla Model Y
2023 Lucid Air Touring

The trick is to play more video games. I used to agree with you, but as I started focusing on the other enjoyable aspect of driving, paddle shifters became fine. It's not quite as visceral, for sure, but honestly the freedom to not have to worry about stalling or rolling or missing a gear, or anything else, is nice. Lets you enjoy the car a bit more.

But don't get me wrong, I still love a good downshift ;)

The trick is to play more video games. I used to agree with you, but as I started focusing on the other enjoyable aspect of driving, paddle shifters became fine. It's not quite as visceral, for sure, but honestly the freedom to not have to worry about stalling or rolling or missing a gear, or anything else, is nice. Lets you enjoy the car a bit more.

But don't get me wrong, I still love a good downshift ;)
Completely agree.

About three years ago, I started playing Assetto Corsa and BeamNG drive for the first time. I already had a steering wheel, but I bought a shifter as well as a clutched pedal set for the realism.

So I jump into BeamNG and the first thing I do was stall it. Then again. And again. The times that I got it up to speed, I just blew the clutch up. By the end of it all, I wanted to just rip the shifter off my desk and toss it out the window. Never again... but instead I just returned it.

Paddle shifters have the same amount of control and you can still hit satisfying up/downshifts! Its also just quicker overall and I can appreciate nailing a breaking point, correcting a drift(which would probably be impossible for me on a manual since I would blow the clutch up), and other factors!

Back