Time for something fun: a car memory test

Completely agree.

About three years ago, I started playing Assetto Corsa and BeamNG drive for the first time. I already had a steering wheel, but I bought a shifter as well as a clutched pedal set for the realism.

So I jump into BeamNG and the first thing I do was stall it. Then again. And again. The times that I got it up to speed, I just blew the clutch up. By the end of it all, I wanted to just rip the shifter off my desk and toss it out the window. Never again... but instead I just returned it.

Paddle shifters have the same amount of control and you can still hit satisfying up/downshifts! Its also just quicker overall and I can appreciate nailing a breaking point, correcting a drift(which would probably be impossible for me on a manual since I would blow the clutch up), and other factors!
Learning to properly drive stick is worth it, imho. There is a certain value to it that’s indescribable, tbh, unless you drive a really good manual for a while.

At the risk of turning this into yet another Porsche appreciation thread, I feel very much the same about my 968. It's not quick but you drive it.
That's ok, I approve! I will never forget how on my 72 911, the clutch, brake, gas pedal and steering wheel had to ALL be used together for high speed cornering to clip the apex. Or the backend would breakaway. I don't think I have double clutched in two decades.

Learning to properly drive stick is worth it, imho. There is a certain value to it that’s indescribable, tbh, unless you drive a really good manual for a while.
Driving a stick was always part of the UK licensing. Not sure if it still is. Still see reports of people dying because the passenger could not drive a manual.

My little '98 Boxter isn't fast, by any means. But when I'm shifting and using the clutch, I just feel so connected to the car. I feel like I'm driving, not just steering. Every limb of my body is involved. It's visceral.

I know, that makes me an old man.
Want to be truely connected? Rack and pinion manual steering.

Not just every limb, but your brain and ears. You feel and hear the shift points. You are one with the car....

That is not the future, sadly.

And you are not that old.

Back