Take a step back......

HC_79

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
Lets be honest, if we dug through this forum I wouldn't be surprised if 60%+ of the topics are probably gripes about the software in our Lucid's. For a company that has been around for decades and owns Porsche, Audi, Bentley I think we should take a step back and realize while Lucid could have done better with the software delivered in our vehicles last year they're probably done alot more to improve the software in 12 months that what VW has been able to achieve in god knows how long. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time that VW Group has hit the reset button to try and solve its software woes in the last number of YEARS. Heck, it was part of Diess's downfall......

Lets be honest, if we dug through this forum I wouldn't be surprised if 60%+ of the topics are probably gripes about the software in our Lucid's. For a company that has been around for decades and owns Porsche, Audi, Bentley I think we should take a step back and realize while Lucid could have done better with the software delivered in our vehicles last year they're probably done alot more to improve the software in 12 months that what VW has been able to achieve in god knows how long. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time that VW Group has hit the reset button to try and solve its software woes in the last number of YEARS. Heck, it was part of Diess's downfall......

You are probably spot on with your estimate of the number of complaints about software. And while most of those complaints individually are absolutely legit, I can say from experience that reading those complaints day after day for almost a year before getting my car left me with a completely bonkers false impression of what day-to-day ownership of this car is like.

I’ve hit a few of the bugs others have here, for sure. But they are minor annoyances at most the vast majority of the time.

This is the part a lot of folks here don’t get when the mods try and steer conversations to be more constructive. It’s not that we don’t acknowledge Lucid’s many shortcomings. It’s that in aggregate, the constant negativity gives a really distorted picture of the experience of driving an Air to many of our readers.

And false impressions, positive or negative, don’t benefit anyone.

The state of the art in automotive software in general is really not up to snuff. We’re still largely in a transition period between cars having zero computers and cars becoming computers. No company has gotten this right yet. Visit any forum of any other manufacturer and that becomes obvious.

I don’t ever want to give Lucid a pass, because they absolutely still need to step up their game. But everything we’ve seen this past year suggests they get it. Nothing in any of my interactions with Lucid suggests to me they feel the current software is “good enough.” They’re working on it. Every day.

So yes. Taking a step back every now and then to get perspective is a good idea.

I wholehearted agree with you on VW IT just sucks. Their infotainment screens are just not usable. I had ICE EOS for years and driven 95k miles before wife help me detached from it. I only liked it because it is convertible and I was able to zig zag in the city in its small 2 seater like Porsche Boxster. Infotainment screen often just froze, so I only bother use analog AC dials and not even bother to listen to music at all. My wife has banned me to get another VW car, despite I gave ID.Buzz a second look and trying to find its hidden quality.

Rivian on the other hand has impressed me with its infotainment for its first year truck. I have yet rode one, but they do look slick on YouTube.

Well, I disagree. I paid $169,000+ for a car that from the Lucid PR was a state-of-the-art high-tech EV, basically a finished product and due to crap unfinished software I did not get that. Yes, I have enjoyed driving my DE-P for over a year now but while the current software is much better, it is still unfinished non-production quality, and I am getting tired of "things will be so much better in the next release". Version 1.04 was so bad that after driving my car for a few days, expected an email from Peter Rawlinson apologizing for delivering cars with such bad and unfinished software!

So, I really don't care what any other auto maker has or hasn't done with software updates, only Lucid and I am still waiting for the car that I thought I was buying a year ago.

End-of-rant...

Well, I disagree. I paid $169,000+ for a car that from the Lucid PR was a state-of-the-art high-tech EV, basically a finished product and due to crap unfinished software I did not get that. Yes, I have enjoyed driving my DE-P for over a year now but while the current software is much better, it is still unfinished non-production quality, and I am getting tired of "things will be so much better in the next release".
Well, I disagree. I paid $169,000+ fees for a mail-order bride that from the Russian Love Agency PR was described highly domestic functional, gorgeous wench, basically an unrefined maid and under-training self-motivated house cleaner. Yes, I have enjoyed showing her off to my social events over a year now but while the current temperament is much better, it is still underwhelming unrefined non-packaged lady quality, and I am getting tired of "her traits will be so much better the longer she lives with me".

Sorry couldn’t help spinning this. Russian supermodel can be high maintenance. 😝

I wholehearted agree with you on VW IT just sucks. Their infotainment screens are just not usable. I had ICE EOS for years and driven 95k miles before wife help me detached from it. I only liked it because it is convertible and I was able to zig zag in the city in its small 2 seater like Porsche Boxster. Infotainment screen often just froze, so I only bother use analog AC dials and not even bother to listen to music at all. My wife has banned me to get another VW car, despite I gave ID.Buzz a second look and trying to find its hidden quality.

Rivian on the other hand has impressed me with its infotainment for its first year truck. I have yet rode one, but they do look slick on YouTube.
I'm still under the impression that Rivian and Tesla cut a deal for the software. Rivian's software so closely mimics Tesla's there is no way they didn't get help from Tesla source code, IMO. This is from a user facing POV and no idea what's on the backend.

Well, I disagree. I paid $169,000+ fees for a mail-order bride that from the Russian Love Agency PR was described highly domestic functional, gorgeous wench, basically an unrefined maid and under-training self-motivated house cleaner. Yes, I have enjoyed showing her off to my social events over a year now but while the current temperament is much better, it is still underwhelming unrefined non-packaged lady quality, and I am getting tired of "her traits will be so much better the longer she lives with me".

Sorry couldn’t help spinning this. 😝 @MoniputerLM 😜😜
The problem is that the Lucid PR machine is very good and very polished, and I believed them and the car magazines predicting that the Air was the best thing since sliced bread!

The problem is that the Lucid PR machine is very good and very polished, and I believed them and the car magazines predicting that the Air was the best thing since sliced bread!
I think they believe that themselves as well. But when anyone drives this car, it just feels like a German engineered not American made product. Of course that software is another story.

I think they believe that themselves as well. But when anyone drives this car, it just feels like a German engineered not American made product. Of course that software is another story.
Modern luxury cars are so dependent on software that you can't separate it from the driving experience. I drove my wife's AMG EQS today and there are things that I really don't like about it, but it just works, everything works. The door opened, the screens all came up, the NAV system worked, the SiriusXM radio worked, everything works. I could pay attention to driving the car and not working around software bugs and missing features. The drivetrain while not as powerful the Lucid is much smoother, also software I assume.

Modern luxury cars are so dependent on software that you can't separate it from the driving experience. I drove my wife's AMG EQS today and there are things that I really don't like about it, but it just works, everything works. The door opened, the screens all came up, the NAV system worked, the SiriusXM radio worked, everything works. I could pay attention to driving the car and not working around software bugs and missing features. The drivetrain while not as powerful the Lucid is much smoother, also software I assume.
That’s Lucid subscribing Tesla’s playbook. BMW and MB sell a written book to be read to marveled over and over of same story for years. Lucid and Tesla give you chapters in installments, sometimes even its readers get confused of the storyline. (Drastic UI change all the sudden by Tesla without warning) 🤣

That’s Lucid subscribing Tesla’s playbook. BMW and MB sell a written book to be read to marveled over and over of same story for years. Lucid and Tesla give you chapters in installments, sometimes even its readers get confused of the storyline. (Drastic UI change all the sudden by Tesla without warning) 🤣
Maybe, but the Lucid playbook is missing chapters and has a lot of misspellings and grammar errors! ;)

Maybe, but the Lucid playbook is missing chapters and has a lot of misspellings and grammar errors! ;)
🤣 Just like me! No wonder I ❤️ Lucid Air. 🤣

Every PR department pulls the same stunt. Audi put things in the e-Tron press release that were “coming” and never delivered. When you questioned them on it they deny they promised anything even though you show them the press release they mentioned it in.

Porsche owners are in the same boat, they made out they were going to get all these “future” upgrades as part of ownership and never delivered them. They misled and continue to mislead in order to generate sales.

These aren’t cheap cars either so if you want to lump Lucid in with the “I paid X” for a car and expect better” then every other automaker who makes expensive cars should be called out also.

I get that you’re pissed at them but as I said, at least Lucid has shown they’re fixing the issues. If you paid the same price for an Audi GT or Taycan you’d have similar frustrations with the software and complaining to them does nothing. They hide under a rock and pretend the issue doesn’t exist. It was only recently Porsche backed down and agreed to provide new software to legacy models due to backlash from customers.

Every PR department pulls the same stunt. Audi put things in the e-Tron press release that were “coming” and never delivered. When you questioned them on it they deny they promised anything even though you show them the press release they mentioned it in.

Porsche owners are in the same boat, they made out they were going to get all these “future” upgrades as part of ownership and never delivered them. They misled and continue to mislead in order to generate sales.

These aren’t cheap cars either so if you want to lump Lucid in with the “I paid X” for a car and expect better” then every other automaker who makes expensive cars should be called out also.

I get that you’re pissed at them but as I said, at least Lucid has shown they’re fixing the issues. If you paid the same price for an Audi GT or Taycan you’d have similar frustrations with the software and complaining to them does nothing. They hide under a rock and pretend the issue doesn’t exist. It was only recently Porsche backed down and agreed to provide new software to legacy models due to backlash from customers.
I don’t want to touch anymore of VW owned products. I wish EA can go out of business and be sold cheap to let another company take over.

I don’t want to touch anymore of VW owned products. I wish EA can go out of business and be sold cheap to let another company take over.
100% agree! I’ll never buy a VW Group car ever again. The moment EA goes bankrupt and someone else snaps up the infrastructure will be a blessing for us all. Whilst EA is under VW’s ownership it will never be a reliable network.

I have never owned a car that was delivered so "unfinished". I said months ago that it would take Lucid 12-18 months to fix/finish the software and that's still holding true. I get on my soapbox when people say that XYZ is just as bad and poor Lucid, cut them some slack! They knew what they were getting into and are experienced car engineers. So, no, I won't give them a break until my car is "finished".

I saw VinFast on various YouTube channels showing they have CarPlay, AndroidAuto, Pet Mode and Sentry Mode. I was like WTF!!! This brand doesn’t even have service center yet, how did their software ripped off so fast before official delivery? Same can be said for Nio. But at least Nio has been in EV production and delivery in China and Europe. Everyone wants to copy Tesla functionalities, let’s see if they are bug-free or just be overwhelming crashing all the time like VW Infotainment.

I evaluate the Lucid from the perspective of an owner operator. I love driving the car, because it responds instantaneously and silently to pressure on the accelerator, while conveying the impression that the vehicle is glued to the road. It handles well even when cornering at speed. That is why I chose the Lucid. I didn't buy the car for it's UI, which I was aware was an unfinished product. That doesn't mean that Lucid is entitled to a free pass based on its work in progress UI. Critical comments are warranted because Lucid has an obligation to ensure the safety of the vehicle. When screens go blank while driving, or the rear camera view fails to appear on the pilot screen or Highway Assist pulls the vehicle out of a travel lane and onto the shoulder, criticism is deserved. It matters not that the Taycan or Tesla had issues with software, nor does it matter that a Honda Civic has a UI with CarPlay . All of these comparisons are beside the point. It only matters to me, what Lucid can do well and what needs improvement. As long as software and hardware issues do not have an impact on driver safety, they will be nothing more than a persistent annoyance, hanging around like a bad smell. I hope that the company has made the necessary investment in software engineers to roll out future versions of the UI in a timely fashion, which will make us all happy and proud Lucid owners. There is no guarantee that Lucid will succeed, as the EV business is very competitive. The UI may play a large role in determining winners and losers in the EV market so I hope Lucid outperforms the competition.

Back