Sudden unwanted braking while on Adaptive cruise

Dhimiter

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
W1J7UIGF
This unfortunate scenario has now happened twice during my cross country travels over the past 5 days. Scenario goes as follows:

Calmly driving with Adaptive cruise set to 70. Following a moving truck in front of me, at a preset distance. I get a random “emergency parking brake” fault that cleared itself within seconds. 20 or so minutes later, with no change to the moving truck speed, or any obvious obstacle BAM!!, the vehicle slams on the brakes. I immediately took over and accelerated as the semi behind me got uncomfortably close and understandably gave me a taste of the airhorn. This was frightening enough not to use adaptive cruise that day.

The next day was uneventful with 6+ hours of adaptive cruise.

The following day, I got the same sudden braking where I had to take over or the vehicle would have come to a full stop on the freeway. No parking brake fault this time.

Thoughts?

The first instance was flat out dangerous and reckless. Thankfully the second time, I had nobody behind me.

It goes without saying that I’ll have the vehicle looked at at a service center. Any recommendations for the Palm Springs area? Torrance?

This unfortunate scenario has now happened twice during my cross country travels over the past 5 days. Scenario goes as follows:

Calmly driving with Adaptive cruise set to 70. Following a moving truck in front of me, at a preset distance. I get a random “emergency parking brake” fault that cleared itself within seconds. 20 or so minutes later, with no change to the moving truck speed, or any obvious obstacle BAM!!, the vehicle slams on the brakes. I immediately took over and accelerated as the semi behind me got uncomfortably close and understandably gave me a taste of the airhorn. This was frightening enough not to use adaptive cruise that day.

The next day was uneventful with 6+ hours of adaptive cruise.

The following day, I got the same sudden braking where I had to take over or the vehicle would have come to a full stop on the freeway. No parking brake fault this time.

Thoughts?

The first instance was flat out dangerous and reckless. Thankfully the second time, I had nobody behind me.

It goes without saying that I’ll have the vehicle looked at at a service center. Any recommendations for the Palm Springs area? Torrance?

I would consider this a life threatening situation and much as I use adaptive cruise control, I would not use it again until it has been repaired. A semi could flatten your Lucid.

If you can get down to Scottsdale, the service center there is terrific.

I would consider this a life threatening situation and much as I use adaptive cruise control, I would not use it again until it has been repaired. A semi could flatten your Lucid.

If you can get down to Scottsdale, the service center there is terrific.
I’ll be in Palm Springs, CA in 3 days and would want to address after as I’m traveling with pets and another moving truck that’s packed to the gills. I would think there’s another closer location than Scottsdale, but good to know.

Won’t be using Adaptive cruise (nor its dumber cousin, HA) anymore I guess.

Costa Mesa is a little closer. Maybe one of the Palm Springs owners knows if a mobile tech services that area.

Costa Mesa is a little closer. Maybe one of the Palm Springs owners knows if a mobile tech services that area.
Thanks. I’ll wait for some more responses then. My previous service advisor mentioned that this would not be addressable via a mobile visit after I told him what had happened.

Did you clean all your sensors? Just making sure.

The Lucid doesn't use cameras for everything unlike Tesla, it shouldn't brake unless it senses something there right? And there's plenty of redundancy (or so I think)

My car has never once braked suddenly. Even when someone pulls abruptly in front of me, I find it adjusts down to speed rather smoothly.

Are you 100% sure you didn’t tap the brake or press a steering wheel button—anything that might have disengaged the system? Or were there warnings going off about keeping your hands on the wheel? Or the eyes on the road warning? If you ignore warnings long enough, the system will automatically disengage.

A
My car has never once braked suddenly. Even when someone pulls abruptly in front of me, I find it adjusts down to speed rather smoothly.

Are you 100% sure you didn’t tap the brake or press a steering wheel button—anything that might have disengaged the system? Or were there warnings going off about keeping your hands on the wheel? Or the eyes on the road warning? If you ignore warnings long enough, the system will automatically disengage.
Anyone else here experienced this? Trying to see if this is a unique or systemic issue. I haven’t had or heard of it until now.

A

Anyone else here experienced this? Trying to see if this is a unique or systemic issue. I haven’t had or heard of it until now.
Only time I've had anything close is the not paying attention escalating to an attempt to bring the car to a complete stop. The warnings can escalate quickly perceptually, not in actuality, if attention is elsewhere (thus the warnings).

Only time I've had anything close is the not paying attention escalating to an attempt to bring the car to a complete stop. The warnings can escalate quickly perceptually, not in actuality, if attention is elsewhere (thus the warnings).
That red "HANDS ON STEERING WHEEL NOW" in RED is hard to miss.
I tested it once on my road trip to see what happens and although cool, it does bring you to a stop in the middle of the highway, hopefully in the future it can pull to the side of the road.

Also it banned me from using HA for a little while

A

Nope and I haven’t heard of another case.

That red "HANDS ON STEERING WHEEL NOW" in RED is hard to miss.
I tested it once on my road trip to see what happens and although cool, it does bring you to a stop in the middle of the highway, hopefully in the future it can pull to the side of the road.

Also it banned me from using HA for a little while
While driving from Houston to San Antonio this weekend I got the red "hands on steering wheel" a few times and was worried the car would shut itself down. But the odd part is that I wasn't using highway assist or cruise control. Both were off. I was driving normally, hands on the wheel, etc. I don't think that message should ever show up if you aren't in HA or ACC, should it? I'm pretty sure that was a software glitch. Has that happened to anyone else or am I just lucky?

While driving from Houston to San Antonio this weekend I got the red "hands on steering wheel" a few times and was worried the car would shut itself down. But the odd part is that I wasn't using highway assist or cruise control. Both were off. I was driving normally, hands on the wheel, etc. I don't think that message should ever show up if you aren't in HA or ACC, should it? I'm pretty sure that was a software glitch. Has that happened to anyone else or am I just lucky?
It's a glitch ive seen it happen once but it was before I had my battery replaced and the drive system fault thing.. But never since

I seldom use HA or ACC. I've seen it a couple times when I wasn't actively steering because I didn't need to. The road was straight and my hand was just resting lightly on the wheel. I had to put pressure on the wheel to make it go away.

Absolutely 100% certain this was not due to a button or pedal press. The fact that it happened twice is also all that more concerning.

My eyes were on the road (and I have the alertness warning off because with my steering wheel position at the highest setting, it doesn’t actually work for me).

This wasn’t just a tap and the car slowed down and accelerated again. It was as if someone just pressed the brake and never let go. The second time this happened I didn’t have anyone behind me so I let it go for a bit to see if the brake would disengage, but down to 30 mph, it did not. I have a feeling it would have just brought the car down to a stop in the middle of the freeway, had I done nothing.

The wonderful folks from customer support suggested that I try a reset and go see if it happens again. I clarified to the gentlemen, that this scenario is absolutely terrifying when you have a vehicle behind you. I swear, I felt like this person was just reading a script.

I seldom use HA or ACC. I've seen it a couple times when I wasn't actively steering because I didn't need to. The road was straight and my hand was just resting lightly on the wheel. I had to put pressure on the wheel to make it go away.
Right, this happens to me all the time and is by design. Though, when I do get that warning my hand is resting on the wheel. I just wish there were capacitive touch points to indicate to the software that the operator’s hands are indeed on the wheel instead of having to torque the steering wheel to prove you’re paying attention.

Absolutely 100% certain this was not due to a button or pedal press. The fact that it happened twice is also all that more concerning.

My eyes were on the road (and I have the alertness warning off because with my steering wheel position at the highest setting, it doesn’t actually work for me).

This wasn’t just a tap and the car slowed down and accelerated again. It was as if someone just pressed the brake and never let go. The second time this happened I didn’t have anyone behind me so I let it go for a bit to see if the brake would disengage, but down to 30 mph, it did not. I have a feeling it would have just brought the car down to a stop in the middle of the freeway, had I done nothing.

The wonderful folks from customer support suggested that I try a reset and go see if it happens again. I clarified to the gentlemen, that this scenario is absolutely terrifying when you have a vehicle behind you. I swear, I felt like this person was just reading a script.
As someone who regularly experienced phantom braking with my previous car, I can completely sympathize with just how terrifying it is. I hope customer service can get you better answers. Or that it never happens to you again.

As someone who regularly experienced phantom braking with my previous car, I can completely sympathize with just how terrifying it is. I hope customer service can get you better answers. Or that it never happens to you again.
I have faith that they will in person.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you get rid of that car or was it something the dealer addressed.

I have faith that they will in person.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you get rid of that car or was it something the dealer addressed.
It was a Model 3. And it’s a very common complaint with that car. Tesla refuses to even acknowledge it ever happens. Needless to say, that was one of the major reasons I decided to shop for a ldifferent brand this time around.

It was a Model 3. And it’s a very common complaint with that car. Tesla refuses to even acknowledge it ever happens. Needless to say, that was one of the major reasons I decided to shop for a ldifferent brand this time around.
So far Lucid has taken this particular complaint very seriously. The Costa Mesa service advisor has been super thorough with questions. He even asked me not to wash the car and make sure whatever bug guts were covering sensors were left intact for them the look at. I haven’t heard if they’ve had any breakthroughs looking over the vehicle logs, but I certainly hope it’s productive.

Back