Some odds and ends

Pics of the wheels close up with aero caps on and off
I kind of like it better with the caps on, but a bright red brake caliper could make a big difference with the caps off, I think.

Thanks for all the updates, hydbob. Keep em coming. They're manna for the hungry.

Thanks for all this detail and great pictures. I am curious if wireless Carplay is active or will that come with a future OTA software update?

I'm sure it's not a hardware or software issue but licensing

I kind of like it better with the caps on, but a bright red brake caliper could make a big difference with the caps off, I think.

Thanks for all the updates, hydbob. Keep em coming. They're manna for the hungry.

Now, red calipers with Zenith Red...
well-damn-god-gif.229

Attachments

• well-damn-god.gif
    well-damn-god.gif
    323.8 KB · Views: 515
Some pics with the back seats folded down

Attachments

• 20211120_072945.jpg
    20211120_072945.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 494
  • 20211120_073155.jpg
    20211120_073155.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 482
  • 20211120_073207.jpg
    20211120_073207.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 229
Some pics with the back seats folded down
That’s nice that they fold down. I was under the impression they did not fold (One of the questions they could not answer)

Hah, added a folding table for reference. 4 ft folding table

Attachments

• 20211120_073640.jpg
    20211120_073640.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 457
I’m not sure why this surprises anyone. I can’t remember the last car I had where the back seats didn’t fold down.

I’m not sure why this surprises anyone. I can’t remember the last car I had where the back seats didn’t fold down.
Me either. This has been in pictures of the Air for a year. They had the seats folded down and proudly stated they could put a surfboard in it with the picture to boot

I can see, as you say, you haven’t bought a new sedan in quite awhile. My wife’s last 3 Lexus had it as does her current Sonata hybrid. It’s very unusual to find any vehicle, sedan or SUV that doesn’t have fold down rear seats these days.

It actually did surprise me when I heard about this feature some time ago. The reason was that Lucid said in several interviews that there were two reasons for using a trunk rather than a hatchback design: structural rigidity and better isolation of road noise. In these interviews Lucid said that no matter how good the sealing around hatchback lids, it is still a source of noise getting into the cabin. From this I had assumed that there would be a solid wall between the trunk space and the cabin in order to isolate trunk resonances.

I'm wondering if these folding seats might not be a source of the unexpected amount of tire noise that several reviewers (InsideEVs, Out of Spec Motoring, and Transport Evolved) have noted in the rear seat.

My 2015 Tesla Model S with the Executive Rear Seating option did not have folding backseats, although the rest of the Model S lineup did.

Here's another interesting part of the trunk. The side storage passes through to the bottom of the trunk.

Attachments

• 20211120_111029.jpg
    20211120_111029.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 210
  • 20211120_111049.jpg
    20211120_111049.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 210
It actually did surprise me when I heard about this feature some time ago. The reason was that Lucid said in several interviews that there were two reasons for using a trunk rather than a hatchback design: structural rigidity and better isolation of road noise. In these interviews Lucid said that no matter how good the sealing around hatchback lids, it is still a source of noise getting into the cabin. From this I had assumed that there would be a solid wall between the trunk space and the cabin in order to isolate trunk resonances.

I'm wondering if these folding seats might not be a source of the unexpected amount of tire noise that several reviewers (InsideEVs, Out of Spec Motoring, and Transport Evolved) have noted in the rear seat.

My 2015 Tesla Model S with the Executive Rear Seating option did not have folding backseats, although the rest of the Model S lineup did.
Now that's interesting. You may have hit upon the source of noise in the rear! It makes absolute sense...which is probably why it's actually not the source. ;)

Here's another interesting part of the trunk. The side storage passes through to the bottom of the trunk.

If you have a chance, could you measure the width of the trunk? It potentially looks wide enough to fit shorter skis.

One quick way to find out is fill entire trunk with blankets. If it gets much quieter...

Back