Some odds and ends

I "have" this problem too. The car is in service too correct this and some other issues. See attached pictures which show that the rear trunk is misaligned. There is a different gap between the trunk and bumper. On the left side, the trunk actually touches the bumper and the paint is already worn on the trunk and bumper.

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_1746.jpeg
IMG_1745.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg
IMG_1748.jpeg

There are no horizontal scratches under that yellow oval on the car. That is an artifact of the photograph. There are innumerable discrete spots, almost as if someone had moved along a line using a tiny jackhammer. Same thing on the bumper and the trunk lid.
That's a really strange camera artifact that many of us are seeing. I've had a number of cars where I have fine scratches on the top of the bumper that look exactly like that. But you're standing there, so you would know best.

Here's one more picture, showing there are no horizontal scratches.

Keep in mind that this whole area is only about 1.5" long. These divots are very tiny and only are noticeable because there are so many of them. I really think it's road dust that got ground into the paint from the trunk lid scuffing against the bumper. That's the only way to explain identical paint damage on both parts in the same place.

IMG_0981.jpg

I "have" this problem too. The car is in service too correct this and some other issues. See attached pictures which show that the rear trunk is misaligned. There is a different gap between the trunk and bumper. On the left side, the trunk actually touches the bumper and the paint is already worn on the trunk and bumper.

View attachment 623
View attachment 624View attachment 625

View attachment 627View attachment 628

YES!!! Alex, thank you. That is exactly the kind of damage I'm seeing, both on the bumper and the corresponding underside of the trunk lid.

hmp10, any way for you to take a sharper picture than the last one above? It's really out of focus.

hmp10, any way for you to take a sharper picture than the last one above? It's really out of focus.

My iPhone wouldn't focus at the close range I used in order to show these are not linear scratches but discrete divots.

Alex's pictures show exactly the kind of paint damage I have, both on his bumper and trunk lid.

The only difference is that my damage is almost dead center (near the trunk latch) instead of off to one side due to a trunk misalignment. My trunk lid and bumper show a consistent gap and don't touch when the car is stationary. That's why I think there must be some slight deformation to one component or the other during driving.

Alex must be experiencing this same deformation, too, as his lid doesn't seem to be touching the bumper when stationary (although the uneven gap is clearly visible).

My iPhone wouldn't focus at the close range I used in order to show these are not linear scratches but discrete divots.

Alex's pictures show exactly the kind of paint damage I have, both on his bumper and trunk lid.

The only difference is that my damage is almost dead center (near the trunk latch) instead of off to one side due to a trunk misalignment. My trunk lid and bumper show a consistent gap and don't touch when the car is stationary. That's why I think there must be some slight deformation to one component or the other during driving.

Alex must be experiencing this same deformation, too, as his lid doesn't seem to be touching the bumper when stationary (although the uneven gap is clearly visible).
OK, got it. What many of us were seeing were more common fine horizontal scratches below the damaged area you've been pointing out. It shows clearly in the first shot which is sharp, and it seems to extend quite a bit more than an 1 1/2". Those are more typical scratches most of us have seen on bumpers of cars we've previously owned.

Actually, my bumper and lid are actually touching. I closed the trunk with a paper towel in the left rubbing area, and although I could move it to the right, there was definitely some friction.

OK, got it. What many of us were seeing were more common fine horizontal scratches below the damaged area you've been pointing out.

I went out and looked at the area again from every angle, both in sunlight and under artificial light. There are no horizontal scratches on the car. That was an artifact of my bad photography.

Actually, my bumper and lid are actually touching. I closed the trunk with a paper towel in the left rubbing area, and although I could move it to the right, there was definitely some friction.
I see what you mean. I just went out to the garage and tried the same thing. A paper towel moves easily in the gap above the bumper to the left and right but drags noticeably as I pass under the license plate.

Apparently the gap is large enough to allow dust to get in under the trunk lid, and the dust then gets ground into the paint due to flexion of the components when on the road.

I see what you mean. I just went out to the garage and tried the same thing. A paper towel moves easily in the gap above the bumper to the left and right but drags noticeably as I pass under the license plate.

Apparently the gap is large enough to allow dust to get in under the trunk lid, and the dust then gets ground into the paint due to flexion of the components when on the road.
Does it move up and down when you push on it?

View attachment 623
View attachment 624View attachment 625

View attachment 627
Your rear image showing the misaligned trunk gap is outstanding. I noted the exact same problem a few days ago when my DE was delivered. The passenger side is gapped and protrudes outward, which is visible to the eye and definitely when you slide a gloved hand from rear quarter panel on to the trunk side. The delivering rep took a photo of it and I noted it in the delivery condition sheet I signed.

I think you can see the difference clearly in these images. I have not heard from Lucid as yet.

Attachments

• Rear Passenger Side Trunk Gap Misalignment.jpg
    Rear Passenger Side Trunk Gap Misalignment.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Rear Driver Side Trunk Gapless Alignment.jpg
    Rear Driver Side Trunk Gapless Alignment.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 177

There is a significant amount if dust and dirt deposited under the trunk lid after low distance driving. Perhaps the rear frame design creates a low pressure area behind the car, particularly at high speed, that sucks in air-borne debris like a vacuum? Absolutely have to open the trunk just to clean the car's exterior. An automated car wash will not get in there.

Your rear image showing the misaligned trunk gap is outstanding. I noted the exact same problem a few days ago when my DE was delivered. The passenger side is gapped and protrudes outward, which is visible to the eye and definitely when you slide a gloved hand from rear quarter panel on to the trunk side. The delivering rep took a photo of it and I noted it in the delivery condition sheet I signed.

I think you can see the difference clearly in these images. I have not heard from Lucid as yet.
Why do I feel 'shades of Tesla' in these shots? :(

Your rear image showing the misaligned trunk gap is outstanding. I noted the exact same problem a few days ago when my DE was delivered.
I wish I had noticed this misalignment earlier, because I would have put some tape at least on the bumper to prevent the paint from rubbing off until it got aligned. This is probably a warning to others to check this on their cars right away and apply a tape fix.

The service center just called and mentioned that they have aligned the trunk and can touch up the trunk paint, but the paint shop said they would not be able to spot fix the bumper - they would have to repaint the whole thing. After some discussions, we concluded it would be best not to repaint the whole bumper and just leave it like that. It’s getting PPFed after the service visit, so the marred bumper will be entombed in PPF. I can live with that, especially since it will not be visible when the trunk is closed.

I wish I had noticed this misalignment earlier, because I would have put some tape at least on the bumper to prevent the paint from rubbing off until it got aligned. This is probably a warning to others to check this on their cars right away and apply a tape fix.

The service center just called and mentioned that they have aligned the trunk and can touch up the trunk paint, but the paint shop said they would not be able to spot fix the bumper - they would have to repaint the whole thing. After some discussions, we concluded it would be best not to repaint the whole bumper and just leave it like that. It’s getting PPFed after the service visit, so the marred bumper will be entombed in PPF. I can live with that, especially since it will not be visible when the trunk is closed.
Alex, do you recall if the trunk misalignment was as significant as mine? Trying to figure out whether this could be handled as a field adjustment or would need to go to a service center?

Alex, do you recall if the trunk misalignment was as significant as mine? Trying to figure out whether this could be handled as a field adjustment or would need to go to a service center?
You can see from the pictures I posted how much it was misaligned. I can't say how it compares to yours. You couldn't really tell from looking at any other parts of hood gaps, though – just the trunk/bumper gap. The only reason it was sent to the service center was to see if they could correct the paint and to fix some other issues, which were better done at a service center, rather than by the mobile techs. I'm sure the mobile techs could fix the hood alignment. Also, it was convenient to have Lucid dropped the car off at the PPF place (a few miles away), rather than transporting it back to me (100+mi) and I would need to drive it back and get stone damage.

Does it move up and down when you push on it?

I didn't try. With less than a paper towel width of room to move downward, I'm not sure if I could tell, anyway.

So much for all those publicity videos of gloved inspectors under bright lights running measuring tools along panel gaps to be sure of perfect panel fit. How that misaligned trunk got out the door of the factory is beyond me if anyone was paying the least bit of attention.

Lucid has already contacted me with a proposal to send a mobile tech out to adjust the trunk gap and then refer me to a Lucid-certified body shop for repainting. As I've already had the car Opti-Coated, I wound up in the same place you did. I asked Lucid to make the adjustment and install rubber bump stops to keep the parts from deforming into each other. I may let them touch up the spot under the trunk lid, but I'm certainly not going to have the whole bumper polished to remove the Opti-Coat, repainted, and then Opti-Coated again. As long as I can be sure the spot on the trunk lip doesn't corrode, I'm just going to live with this.

As I've said before, I expected some significant software problems for a while with this car. But I certainly had not expected trips to the hardware store to buy weatherstripping adhesive, license plate screws falling off the trunk (as happened during washing today, now leaving only two very iffy screws holding the plate in place), and the trunk lid scuffing against the bumper.

The rubber raft keeping my goodwill afloat is losing Air rapidly.

I asked Lucid to make the adjustment and install rubber bump stops to keep the parts from deforming into each other
There are two rubber bumper stops on each side of the trunk already. I thought they were adjustable, but could not budge them. They come down on a round black metal pad – maybe it's adjustable? I was actually thinking of putting some stick on velcro felt on that metal to keep the trunk from touching, but the car was going to picked up the next day.

Back