Software question

AGTRAIN

Cars
Tesla Model S
Hi all, this forum has given me a lot of information about what software isn’t working properly yet with the Air. I admit to getting a little confused about what my experience will be with my GT, so can I flip the question around and ask the owners — what software functions ARE working well and are quite reliable (if not absolutely perfect)?

Thanks!

Hi all, this forum has given me a lot of information about what software isn’t working properly yet with the Air. I admit to getting a little confused about what my experience will be with my GT, so can I flip the question around and ask the owners — what software functions ARE working well and are quite reliable (if not absolutely perfect)?

Thanks!
YMMV when it comes to answers on this as you can tell but for me the following works reliably:

Lock/unlock
Radio
Spotify streaming
Nav
All drive modes
Climate control
Seat adjustments
Mirror adjustments
Backup camera
Surround camera
ADAS functions

Would it make sense to have three categories instead? Works Reliably (90% or higher) / Works Sporadically (20-90%) / Works Rarely (less than 20%)

After reading your response, it made me ask myself, does anything not work for @hydbob and what does "reliably" mean?

I think we are going to have different things for different people. Could be a real can of worms though. For example, lock/unlock by which means, mobile, FOB, proximity, card...

Last edited:
Would it make sense to have three categories instead? Works Reliably (90% or higher) / Works Sporadically (20-90%) / Works Rarely (less than 20%)

After reading your response, it made me ask myself, does anything not work for @hydbob and what does "reliably" mean?

I think we are going to have different things for different people. Could be a real can of worms though. For example, lock/unlock by which means, mobile, FOB, proximity, card...
True, there's also caveats to each category. For example, I have never relied on the mobile key. From day 1, I have used the key fob and haven't had issues getting into my car. The proximity unlock is a different story so is that a subcategory?

Also, because I live in Los Angeles, my cell coverage is excellent almost everywhere which is why I have little to no issues with anything streaming or nav or radio (except when my MCU went out and that got replaced).

Good start. My main interest is the “works reliably” category. That gives me clarity (sounds like a good name for a car 😊) and simplifies my expectations. Hydbob’s list is encouraging especially if others have similar experience.

Good start. My main interest is the “works reliably” category. That gives me clarity (sounds like a good name for a car 😊) and simplifies my expectations. Hydbob’s list is encouraging especially if others have similar experience.
If you ask @Bill55 or @peacenow0 they are having vastly different experiences than me or @borski

Thanks!
as I understand it ... you will have an amazing driving experience, with some software quirks.

I know it is not quite what you asked - and since I am not picking up my car until Friday, others will be able to answer better than me

I am driving the car daily. I love driving it. I hate unlock/lock. I deleted the phone key. My observations are using the key fob passively. That is the standard method of unlock/lock in the industry today. I hate the key fob, but it does work if you use it 1980’s style as a lock unlock button.

as I understand it ... you will have an amazing driving experience, with some software quirks.

I know it is not quite what you asked - and since I am not picking up my car until Friday, others will be able to answer better than me
Good luck and will be very interested to hear your reply after you learn the car better.

Thanks - I’ll be here with the report :)
and with luck you all with keep me balanced
please let us know what software version your car ends up with when you take delivery

YMMV when it comes to answers on this as you can tell but for me the following works reliably:

Lock/unlock
Radio
Spotify streaming
Nav
All drive modes
Climate control
Seat adjustments
Mirror adjustments
Backup camera
Surround camera
ADAS functions
I agree with this list although I never use the radio and use Tidal instead of Spotify. I would put Nav in the somewhat reliable group, it works for me more often than it doesn't. Maybe my lower Nav score comes because I use it with Alexa rather than typing in a destination

Last edited:
I agree with this list although I never use the radio and use Tidal instead of Spotify. I would put Nav in the somewhat reliable group, it works for me more often than it doesn't. Maybe my lower Nav score comes because I use it with Alexa rater than typing in a destination
Oh yea, I would say Alexa is around 60-70% reliable for what I use it for...setting nav and asking silly questions

Will say this, switched to my summer tires from the winters. Had 19"s for the snows. The TPMS on the original 21's that the car was delivered with were not recognized. Had to take it to Chicago service center for software update etc. On a good note the service center is really nice and there were a lot of Air's being prepped for delivery.

Will say this, switched to my summer tires from the winters. Had 19"s for the snows. The TPMS on the original 21's that the car was delivered with were not recognized. Had to take it to Chicago service center for software update etc. On a good note the service center is really nice and there were a lot of Air's being prepped for delivery.

Yeah they have to reconfigure the car’s TPMS when you swap wheels. Known issue at present, but it’s quick for service to do.

Lock/unlock
Radio
Spotify streaming
Nav
All drive modes
Climate control
Seat adjustments
Mirror adjustments
Backup camera
Surround camera
ADAS functions

My comment on this list would be that "yes, these all work reliably," but the caveat is that the manner in which they work is sometimes poorly designed. For example, moving the steering wheel is done on the lower screen instead of on the steering column like every other car built since 1910. You get used to it, but it's dumb. Using the radio takes more swipes to get it to come up on the large center screen, and it doesn't stay there - it reverts back to the small screen, which is dumb. The seat adjustments can be done on the seat (i.e. traditional) or on the center screen, but if you change them on the seat, you can't save it -- you have to go back to the center screen. That's dumb. The backup camera and birds-eye 3D view is awesome...but only if the car is already "awake" when you put it in reverse to start backing up. If you jump in, put it in reverse, and start backing up, you're likely to not yet have backup camera or birds-eye camera view for about 20 seconds. That's dumb. The car's tendency to "sleep" and then take a while to "wake up" is frustrating and becomes a game...you train your mind to go to the phone app a few minutes before leaving wherever you're going becuase that makes the car wake up and it is immediately available to you.

I suspect (hope) they are working on a big fix that will alter the main screen environment. A few strange choices on the main screen home page. For example, instead of radio controls it has a permanent button for the glove box. (?). Tesla's glove box button is smarter. No ability to drive past 10 mph with cameras on, as you can in Tesla.

Honestly, I have not found any electronic feature to be consistently unreliable, other than the sleep/unlock problems. You can consistently rely on waiting for the car to "wake up" if you use your phone app as the key.

What was your drive time to Goose Island and how long did you need to wait until they did the servicing?

My comment on this list would be that "yes, these all work reliably," but the caveat is that the manner in which they work is sometimes poorly designed. For example, moving the steering wheel is done on the lower screen instead of on the steering column like every other car built since 1910. You get used to it, but it's dumb. Using the radio takes more swipes to get it to come up on the large center screen, and it doesn't stay there - it reverts back to the small screen, which is dumb. The seat adjustments can be done on the seat (i.e. traditional) or on the center screen, but if you change them on the seat, you can't save it -- you have to go back to the center screen. That's dumb. The backup camera and birds-eye 3D view is awesome...but only if the car is already "awake" when you put it in reverse to start backing up. If you jump in, put it in reverse, and start backing up, you're likely to not yet have backup camera or birds-eye camera view for about 20 seconds. That's dumb. The car's tendency to "sleep" and then take a while to "wake up" is frustrating and becomes a game...you train your mind to go to the phone app a few minutes before leaving wherever you're going becuase that makes the car wake up and it is immediately available to you.

I suspect (hope) they are working on a big fix that will alter the main screen environment. A few strange choices on the main screen home page. For example, instead of radio controls it has a permanent button for the glove box. (?). Tesla's glove box button is smarter. No ability to drive past 10 mph with cameras on, as you can in Tesla.

Honestly, I have not found any electronic feature to be consistently unreliable, other than the sleep/unlock problems. You can consistently rely on waiting for the car to "wake up" if you use your phone app as the key.
My only pushback on this comment is the steering wheel adjustment. How often after setting up your driving position are you adjusting the steering wheel? Also, I think the backup camera is almost instantaneous once you are able to put the car in reverse no? That's my experience with the reverse camera, bird's-eye needs the full boot.

My only pushback on this comment is the steering wheel adjustment. How often after setting up your driving position are you adjusting the steering wheel? Also, I think the backup camera is almost instantaneous once you are able to put the car in reverse no? That's my experience with the reverse camera, bird's-eye needs the full boot.
No, the backup camera for me takes forever, maybe a full minute or so.

Back