Software issues versus daily driving

Very true.

I have to make that decision , and will probably just choose to get the car and deal with the software issues.

Again , my extreme distance from everywhere concerns me.
It's on many minds, but I was glad to at least hear from a new Twin Cities (MN) GT owner that the 400 mile away service center was aware of, and setting in motion a plan for, how to handle remote serivce needs:

From @milgauss in reporting how his delivery went last week :

I am nervous about how service will work as well, but they are saying all the right things. Since these are the first cars in the region, he said they have already established who the point people are for remote service in your driveway, getting loaners, pick-ups to take back to the shop, etc. He seemed confident they would take care of whatever might come up.

What you don’t know is a not a problem. Try driving a Tesla model S and you will see how the software makes the car run so beautifully.
I have a Tesla Model S and there is no comparison on fit and finish as well as driveability. Lucid wins hands down. As @hmp10 has observed several times, the Tesla just sits in the garage while we drive the Lucid. Software will get there. Has improved significantly in last month or two.

I’m driving my model s long range plus and enjoy all of the advanced software features (except no apple car play). Got to sit in my AGT yesterday while it is going thru inspection at the michigan service center. They booted it up and it showed software version 1.1.9 . I asked if they planned to update it to 1.2.1 before delivery and they said they don’t usually do that.

Attachments

• 3B4E1D57-6ABE-430A-95C5-9DE9B330D574.jpeg
    3B4E1D57-6ABE-430A-95C5-9DE9B330D574.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 101
It's on many minds, but I was glad to at least hear from a new Twin Cities (MN) GT owner that the 400 mile away service center was aware of, and setting in motion a plan for, how to handle remote serivce needs:

From @milgauss in reporting how his delivery went last week :

I am nervous about how service will work as well, but they are saying all the right things. Since these are the first cars in the region, he said they have already established who the point people are for remote service in your driveway, getting loaners, pick-ups to take back to the shop, etc. He seemed confident they would take care of whatever might come up.
Great to hear.

They are just cars, not spouses. It’s ok that someone might be interested in more than one!
Wait, its not okay to have more than 1 spouse?

There will come a time when you realize that software is what’s going to help you drive longer into your senior years. Right now, I see that most of you are in love with the hardware which BTW is better than Tesla.

That is one of the reasons I bought a Tesla Model S P90D in 2015. I wanted to start getting used to letting software take over more of the driving so that I would have adapted to that kind of driving by the time I got old enough to need it, and Tesla was supposedly ahead of the curve at the time. So I paid the $3,000 premium at the time for their "Autopilot" upgrade.

However, over the next few years, instead of improvements, functionality was removed from my package as Tesla migrated some of the Autopilot features over into the FSD they were now hawking. Roads on which I was once able to use Autopilot were now blocked for its use. I could no longer set the cruise control for more than 5 mph above the speed limit (which means getting rear-ended on most Florida roads). The turn-signal-activated automatic lane change feature disappeared. By the time we traded the car for a Model S Plaid in 2021, all I had left of my $3,000 option was the same lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control that came standard in my 2018 Honda Odyssey Elite.

My brother has a Model 3 and is a beta tester for FSD. While he finds it interesting to play with, he acknowledges it is nothing close to actual self driving. Given my experience with Tesla Autopilot, we did not opt for FSD in the Plaid. I saw no point in paying $10,000 (now up to $12,000) for an option that is actually not a purchase but just a license-to-use feature that Tesla can de-content at will.

Personally, my bet is that ten years from now Tesla's current insistence that optical cameras alone are sufficient for true self driving will have turned out to be a dead end. While they figure that out, we'll just keep driving our smoother, quieter, roomier, more luxurious, and better-handling Air Dream Performance as the Plaid slips further into back-up car status.

Last edited:
That is one of the reasons I bought a Tesla Model S P90D in 2015. I wanted to start getting used to letting software take over more of the driving so that I would have adapted to that kind of driving by the time I got old enough to need it, and Tesla was supposedly ahead of the curve at the time. So I paid the $3,000 premium at the time for their "Autopilot" upgrade.

However, over the next few years, instead of improvements, functionality was removed from my package as Tesla migrated some of the Autopilot features over into the FSD they were now hawking. Roads on which I was once able to use Autopilot were now blocked for its use. I could no longer set the cruise control for more than 5 mph above the speed limit (which means getting rear-ended on most Florida roads). The turn-signal-activated automatic lane change feature disappeared. By the time we traded the car for a Model S Plaid in 2021, all I had left of my $3,000 option was the same lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control that came standard in my 2018 Honda Odyssey Elite.

My brother has a Model 3 and is a beta tester for FSD. While he finds it interesting to play with, he acknowledges it nothing close to actual self driving. Given my experience with Tesla Autopilot, we did not opt for FSD in the Plaid. I saw no point in paying $10,000 (now up to $12,000) for an option that is actually not a purchase but just a license-to-use feature that Tesla can de-content at will.

Personally, my bet is that ten years from now Tesla's current insistence that optical cameras alone are sufficient for true self driving will have turned out to be a dead end. While they figure that out, we'll just keep driving our smoother, quieter, roomier, more luxurious, and better-handling Air Dream Performance as the Plaid slips further into back-up car status.
Once Tesla gets some real competition there will be some real changes in options and software….

I honestly doubt level 4 FSD will happen anytime in the foreseeable future. Advanced level 2, maaaaybe a workable level 3 in the right conditions are possible. The sensors are getting good enough, but the programming language and algorithms to recognize situational context and interpret human behavior doesn’t exist yet. Until that happens, anything released as driving automation will be strictly reactive.

I honestly doubt level 4 FSD will happen anytime in the foreseeable future. Advanced level 2, maaaaybe a workable level 3 in the right conditions are possible. The sensors are getting good enough, but the programming language and algorithms to recognize situational context and interpret human behavior doesn’t exist yet. Until that happens, anything released as driving automation will be strictly reactive.
I agree! we are a long long long way from true self driving cars.... the push is just for more and more automation to the driving experience

True self driving and automation will only happen after the entire traffic sign, lights and related hardware infrastructure in the country is upgraded to smart infrastructure with chips in them. Cars will then be able to truly communicate with the infrastructure and pretty much self drive if told to do so. The current system is very primitive. With chip shortages and budget restraints it ain’t happening soon.

Back