Sirius/XM

Ampere

Verified Owner
Cars
Honda Accord Hybrid
I work for a radio station (WFMT, Chicago) and when XM first launched it carried some of our programming, including my show. Thus, I was one of the first to receive an XM receiver for my car. The receiver was just fine, but the antenna was about a 1-inch square block on the interior rear deck. This was before the days of the ubiquitous "shark's fin" on the roof. That shark's fin is there for a reason. Reception was highly variable with the little antenna stuck to the rear deck. If Lucid opts to include Sirius/XM it will have to make provisions for an antenna. IMHO putting a shark's fin on the roof of an Air would be a travesty, especially for those with glass roofs. It also might subtly reduce range since it disrupts airflow. However, when XM and Sirius merged it slightly improved signal quality from a larger constellation of satellites, even though Sirius at that time used a different technology than XM. Anyway, be careful what you wish for. . .

I work for a radio station (WFMT, Chicago) and when XM first launched it carried some of our programming, including my show. Thus, I was one of the first to receive an XM receiver for my car. The receiver was just fine, but the antenna was about a 1-inch square block on the interior rear deck. This was before the days of the ubiquitous "shark's fin" on the roof. That shark's fin is there for a reason. Reception was highly variable with the little antenna stuck to the rear deck. If Lucid opts to include Sirius/XM it will have to make provisions for an antenna. IMHO putting a shark's fin on the roof of an Air would be a travesty, especially for those with glass roofs. It also might subtly reduce range since it disrupts airflow. However, when XM and Sirius merged it slightly improved signal quality from a larger constellation of satellites, even though Sirius at that time used a different technology than XM. Anyway, be careful what you wish for. . .
They’re adding streaming SXM, not satellite.

If they offered XM Satellite radio, it’s very unlikely they would put a shark fin antenna on the car. All the cars I have owned in the last 15+ years have used some kind of hidden XM antenna, either hidden on a roof panel, deck lid, side mirror, or front dash. I have put XM Satellite radio in my Lucid and have the XM antenna (exposed) on the rear deck lid. Below that deck lid Lucid has several other antennas and that would be where they would probably put the XM antenna.

I think it is possible they might add real satellite too at some point. Sure would be nice.
That would require a hardware change. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I thought that most cars that offer SiriusXM have satellite receiver hardware. In our case with Lucid since I thought we have no such satellite hardware, they must be offering the same service as an internet steaming option.

Otherwise they would need to retrofit existing cars with a satellite receiver. They did claim that SiriusXM will soon be offered to all existing cars via an OTA update.

Has anyone confirmed this?

I thought that most cars that offer SiriusXM have satellite receiver hardware. In our case with Lucid since I thought we have no such satellite hardware, they must be offering the same service as an internet steaming option.

Otherwise they would need to retrofit existing cars with a satellite receiver. They did claim that SiriusXM will soon be offered to all existing cars via an OTA update.

Has anyone confirmed this?
Sirius XM will be streaming, not satellite.

Back