Scary! But I finally tried it! AUTO-PARK!

Sorry to hear that.. thats the issue my Lincoln had but I hit the brakes before it could hit the curb. Ive never used auto park since, and that was 5 years ago. Maybe in another 5 years Ill trust it.

Sorry to hear that.. thats the issue my Lincoln had but I hit the brakes before it could hit the curb. Ive never used auto park since, and that was 5 years ago. Maybe in another 5 years Ill trust it.
Maybe Lincoln is too high to detect curb? 🤔

I have tried self parking a few times but was only successful once. For whatever reason, it tries to perpendicular park in parallel parking spots and parallel park in perpendicular parking spots. Anyone else have this issue?

I have tried self parking a few times but was only successful once. For whatever reason, it tries to perpendicular park in parallel parking spots and parallel park in perpendicular parking spots. Anyone else have this issue?
You can change the orientation

My 2017 Navigator has auto park. I tried it once. but it started moving so fast that I panicked and hit the brakes so haven't used it since. Maybe I will try again with the Lucid, some day. ;-)
I would never try that on such a large vehicle. Impressive that it has that feature

In 2011 I bought a brand new Explorer. There was much to hate about it. But the self-park was pretty impressive. It was only parallel, though, not perpendicular, and of course you had to shift between D and R manually when the car prompted you to.

Auto-park is one of those "tech features" in cars that I really, really, want to see work, but I'm convinced no one has nailed it yet.

In theory, it's the perfect candidate for an autonomous driving feature:

1) Watching people for many years try to parallel park, I'm convinced it's not a skill humans were meant to master. I find it easy, but the vast majority of drivers simply suck at it. I no longer think it's a matter of bad training. I really think most people don't have the ability to do the geometry in their heads. Nor should they bother to try to learn. It's like spelling. Nice to be good at it, but it's not necessarily a marker of great intelligence. More like a parlor trick.

2) There are a finite set of variables. Unlike full-self driving, parking is a singular set of problems to solve. Detecting a useable spot, getting the car into starting position, wheel movement as the car is moved into place. Yes, you have to be aware of cars trying to pass, cyclists, pedestrians, other obstacles. Plus incline/decline and how that might effect acceleration, etc. But it's all mostly contained and predictable compared to driving out on the road for several miles. And the movements are, again, simple geometry. Humans may suck at that, but computers were made for this sort of problem.

3) Given number 1, people would gladly pay to never have to park ever again.

Knowing this is the ultimate convenience feature, it baffles me that every car I've ever tried to use auto-park on has done a terrible job. Or, I should say, it does a fine job under perfect circumstances, but I end up in those circumstances about once a year.

The rest of the time: Can't detect spots. Often gets the angle wrong. Curbs the rims. Almost hits other cars/pedestrians. And on and on.

I am curious to try the Lucid auto-park. But I will do it in a very safe place.

I get that companies have a tendency to do a half-crap job on a feature and then simply "check it off" as done. But man, I wish someone would forget full self driving and just focus on parking for five years.

But who needs to invest in that, when everyone is already selling the feature as if it works?

You can change the orientation
How? I've had the same issue before, but didn't notice how to modify the orientation. Is it a selection that appears during the auto-park sequence?

How? I've had the same issue before, but didn't notice how to modify the orientation. Is it a selection that appears during the auto-park sequence?
It's been a while, but I think when it shows a parking spot, if you click the spot I think you can change the orientation

Sometimes when I’m stopped at intersections, I’ll put on the 360 parking view so I can see how close the other Massholes are to my car. And about half the time, the car alerts me that it’s found a parking space... when I’m stopped at an intersection with cars on all four sides.

Not going to try auto park until it’s figured this out.

Oh, and I’m still in the phase where I alwayes choose to park the Lucid as far away as I can get from other cars. Usually, it’s the most remote portion of the parking lot. But that’s okay because I can get my steps in.

Same happens to me and this morning I tried again in a restaurant that parking was almost empty and it choose to park in a corner space and it ran over the edge of the lot in the grass. I think still needs some work in the software.

Sometimes when I’m stopped at intersections, I’ll put on the 360 parking view so I can see how close the other Massholes are to my car. And about half the time, the car alerts me that it’s found a parking space... when I’m stopped at an intersection with cars on all four sides.

Not going to try auto park until it’s figured this out.

Oh, and I’m still in the phase where I alwayes choose to park the Lucid as far away as I can get from other cars. Usually, it’s the most remote portion of the parking lot. But that’s okay because I can get my steps in.
I'm surprised the camera isn't constantly popping up on its own, the way people in Mass tailgate. Especially if you live east of 128.

I'm surprised the camera isn't constantly popping up on its own, the way people in Mass tailgate. Especially if you live east of 128.
Haha mine pops up a fair amount in traffic jams. One driver on my ass saw through my rear window that I was watching the distance between him and my rear bumper on the camera and waved at me haha. Massholes indeed!

I have not actually used my AGT's self-parking. I have had this feature on other cars but very rarely used it. I guess I should give it a try.
Here is a recent video out of the UK demonstrating the self-parking performance of Audi, BMW, Ford, and Tesla.

I have not actually used my AGT's self-parking. I have had this feature on other cars but very rarely used it. I guess I should give it a try.
Here is a recent video out of the UK demonstrating the self-parking performance of Audi, BMW, Ford, and Tesla.
I’m quite surprised that Tesla autopilot feature being in the market so long to do such weak jobs like that and can’t even do perpendicular park. Audi and BMW did way better.

My AGT did PRFECT job every time I perpendicular park. I have yet opportunity to try parallel auto park yet. But I have confidence at this auto-park as long as there is no incoming traffic.

Back