Scary! But I finally tried it! AUTO-PARK!

Some people desperately need autopark, especially @ 2:25 :)

Every once in a while, for no apparent reason, I get tempted to try out auto park again on my Touring. Usually I end up disappointed in the results. But yesterday I tried it on a parallel street spot downtown in Boulder, and it worked really nicely. Still slower than I could do myself, but if it were consistently this good, it would be a great feature for those who are parking challenged.

I have never tried it on a perpendicular spot. Maybe someday I’ll see if it’s better there.

Every once in a while, for no apparent reason, I get tempted to try out auto park again on my Touring. Usually I end up disappointed in the results. But yesterday I tried it on a parallel street spot downtown in Boulder, and it worked really nicely. Still slower than I could do myself, but if it were consistently this good, it would be a great feature for those who are parking challenged.

I have never tried it on a perpendicular spot. Maybe someday I’ll see if it’s better there.
I’ve found parallel parking to be the best auto park parking orientation.

I went from being terrified to use it, to auto parking just for shits and giggles. Great example of how Lucid is improving the driving experience with OTAs.

I’ve found parallel parking to be the best auto park parking orientation.
I'm still scared of potentially curbing my rims

I tried out both parallel and perpendicular parking today, just to get to know the car. Parallel worked pretty well, once I'd got the hang of engaging the system early enough to identify the parking space. It worked smoothly, unlike my previous vehicle which was alternately jerky and hesitant when parking itself.

The perpendicular parking was less successful; maybe it was just me, but I felt it got too close to the neighbouring car. Perhaps if the software would leave the 360 view on while parking it would be easier to let it do its thing?

I used Parallel auto park last night, while it did a good job of getting in between cars it was too far from the curb so I had to redo it myself. There was a bus lane next to the car so it definitely cold have got side swiped, otherwise it probably would have been fine. The best part though is the car used to often misidentify parallel as perpendicular, it seems now it identifies the spots correctly every time I’ve tried it. Good job @Dog poop maybe your data helped them make this more accurate!

I tried perpendicular spot yesterday for the first time. It got into the spot fine, albeit with more reverses than it should have needed. But it stopped short of pulling all the way in, leaving the nose of the car sticking out by about 30 inches. Had to finish backing it in manually.

I do think it’s improving, though. The first couple of times I tried it for fun months ago it couldn’t even accurately identify spots well.

Curious if they are still tweaking this. They’ve made no mention of it in release notes that I can recall.

curbing my rims
Don’t autopark next to a curb and you’ll be fine. I’ll admit, autopark curbed me once.

The situation was backing up a hill from level and the curb I believe was too low for the radar due to the hill. The radar bases it’s true on the car on the inside and it didn’t register the curb with the hill. So when backing up it was not looking at the curb and paying more attention to the car on the inside of the backup turn. It sucked. I was so disappointed I forgot to take a photo. I’m not happy but I understand why it happened.

Takeaway: don’t back up a raised parking spot with autopark next to a curb.

Don’t autopark next to a curb and you’ll be fine. I’ll admit, autopark curbed me once.

The situation was backing up a hill from level and the curb I believe was too low for the radar due to the hill. The radar bases it’s true on the car on the inside and it didn’t register the curb with the hill. So when backing up it was not looking at the curb and paying more attention to the car on the inside of the backup turn. It sucked. I was so disappointed I forgot to take a photo. I’m not happy but I understand why it happened.

Takeaway: don’t back up a raised parking spot with autopark next to a curb.
I hadn't considered that situation. I was thinking of parallel parking situations

I did a perpendicular space today. Parking between two cars, Air backed in a bit close to one of the cars, then it pulled forward out of the space and corrected spacing. Nailed it right in the middle but stopped about 10 inches short of where it should have so I backed in the last 10 inches.

I did a perpendicular space today. Parking between two cars, Air backed in a bit close to one of the cars, then it pulled forward out of the space and corrected spacing. Nailed it right in the middle but stopped about 10 inches short of where it should have so I backed in the last 10 inches.
That's normal ... on a test drive I did an autopark with the SA; he said on a perpendicular parking job it would stop with the front hanging out a bit farther than many would like, and had me manually back up another foot or so after the car finished its parking job.
Note to those who might not expect it: parking is NOT based on any white line markings. As noted in the Owners Guide, it expects to park next to a car or wall or solid object, and parks next to that. So if the car next to you parked non-centered in the space, your Lucid will likely repeat that action.

Unrelated: ever have to park non-centered in a spot because both cars next to your space were parked oddly? And then you get back to your car and find those cars are gone, and only your car is parked looking like you never learned how to park? And when you now go to get back in your car, you tell everyone nearby that it wasn't you, it was everyone else? (Asking for a friend o_O)

Unrelated: ever have to park non-centered in a spot because both cars next to your space were parked oddly? And then you get back to your car and find those cars are gone, and only your car is parked looking like you never learned how to park? And when you now go to get back in your car, you tell everyone nearby that it wasn't you, it was everyone else? (Asking for a friend o_O)
😁

How accurate is everyone's autopark placement? While waiting for my mom at the airport, I decided to try several autopark scenarios in the airport lots. Parallel auto park and unpark nailed it the 3 times I tried. However, on the third try where there were no cars in front or back, it was perfectly parallel to the curb but missed the actual spot it identified with the front of the car sticking out 2 feet of the spot and in the red. I can live with that as I just manually backed it up to get it in the spot and out of the red zone.

Now, perpendicular parking is scary as f. I tried 5 different times between cars and without cars on either side. The car identifies the spots excellent. After selecting my target spot, the car takes over. First time between two cars, it did its thing and parked it OK. The hard turns on the wheel and rapid reverse acceleration is more aggressive than I would like or do myself. It didn't place it straight within the lines but I think it was due to car on the driver's side also not being perfectly straight in their spot. The final placement between the cars wasn't even with the car favoring the driver's side. This was the same the other two times in different spots with cars parked on both sides. On the third time in a tight spot, I had to interrupt the process and slam on the brake as it was reverse accelerating rapidly while the warning sound was screaming. The car didn't want to stop even though the alarm was sounding off and pilot panel overview was red. It scared the sh!t out of me as I rolled the window to see how close it was to the SUV parked on the driver's side. Less than 2 inches from slamming into it!!!

The final two scenarios without a car parked on either side, less scary as the car positioned and aligned with the parked reference car. When autoparking without a parked car on the driver side, the car repositioned itself 3 times on its own before finalizing and putting the car in park. It was like watching my mom trying to do perpendicular parking.

Anyone else try autopark scenarios and get similar or different experiences?

How accurate is everyone's autopark placement? While waiting for my mom at the airport, I decided to try several autopark scenarios in the airport lots. Parallel auto park and unpark nailed it the 3 times I tried. However, on the third try where there were no cars in front or back, it was perfectly parallel to the curb but missed the actual spot it identified with the front of the car sticking out 2 feet of the spot and in the red. I can live with that as I just manually backed it up to get it in the spot and out of the red zone.

Now, perpendicular parking is scary as f. I tried 5 different times between cars and without cars on either side. The car identifies the spots excellent. After selecting my target spot, the car takes over. First time between two cars, it did its thing and parked it OK. The hard turns on the wheel and rapid reverse acceleration is more aggressive than I would like or do myself. It didn't place it straight within the lines but I think it was due to car on the driver's side also not being perfectly straight in their spot. The final placement between the cars wasn't even with the car favoring the driver's side. This was the same the other two times in different spots with cars parked on both sides. On the third time in a tight spot, I had to interrupt the process and slam on the brake as it was reverse accelerating rapidly while the warning sound was screaming. The car didn't want to stop even though the alarm was sounding off and pilot panel overview was red. It scared the sh!t out of me as I rolled the window to see how close it was to the SUV parked on the driver's side. Less than 2 inches from slamming into it!!!

The final two scenarios without a car parked on either side, less scary as the car positioned and aligned with the parked reference car. When autoparking without a parked car on the driver side, the car repositioned itself 3 times on its own before finalizing and putting the car in park. It was like watching my mom trying to do perpendicular parking.

Anyone else try autopark scenarios and get similar or different experiences?

I only auto park 5 times ever in year of ownership, all 5 times parked well, but the speed of its perpendicular park was so fast, it’s takes a lot of faith.

Until my Lucid Pure arrives within the next 45 days, I'm driving my 2019 VW Golf Alltrack SEL. (Yeah.)
The auto-park is incredible: nails the parallel or perpendicular spot every time,
steering wheel spins like a banshee, just. works.
Glad to read this thread, I won't assume this is normal in niche auto companies who are outstanding at the more fundamental things that absolutely matter more. This thread may have saved me some rim and tire damage.
And when I get my Lucid I'll experiment with caution and optimism in the OTA upgrades.

I only auto park 5 times ever in year of ownership, all 5 times parked well, but the speed of its perpendicular park was so fast, it’s takes a lot of faith.
I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I really wish I had tried it during the test drive.

Follow up from my previous post. I tested perpendicular autopark again today in a real use case while at the grocery store. This time, I decided to trust fully, and I let the car do it's own thing. Not bad! Strange is that this time, it favored passenger side on placement.
PXL_20230603_180459262.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230603_180505274.jpg
    PXL_20230603_180505274.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20230603_180511345.jpg
    PXL_20230603_180511345.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 67
I tried autopark for parallel parking a few times this past week. When it worked, it worked well. The first time, I forgot about changing the orientation, so it almost rammed into the curb and car behind before I intervened. When it allowed me to change the orientation, it worked just fine. However, there were a few times it would let me change to parallel orientation and a few times it didn't recognize a spot, so I just parked the old fashioned way. My verdict: I'll still use it, but probably not if there are cars following me because it can take a while to find a spot and actually park.

Auto park is a feature I do daily. I want to collect and share that data with Lucid to improve it as much as possible.

With that said, it’s very dependent on the objects you park next too. I do it all the time parallel and perpendicular, mostly perpendicular. I’m probably close to 200 of these, and only once have I had an issue. It was parking on a slight incline with the car on the inside of the park turn and a curb on the outside and the parking spot was on a different incline than the start of the parking spot. I mean significantly different like 15-20 degrees. Because of that incline, I think the radars had a hard time telling the curb from the spot and got too close to the curb causing curb impact.

Besides that, you have to have objects for the radar to target while performing the autopark. It won’t do it with painted lines yet. Though I’m hopeful it will be that way eventually.

Back