Scary! But I finally tried it! AUTO-PARK!

I’m quite surprised that Tesla autopilot feature being in the market so long to do such weak jobs like that and can’t even do perpendicular park.
I am fairly sure that the Tesla parking failure is rooted in the company's AI approach. It appears that Tesla eschews hard rules for the AI, instead making it freshly calculate every move. The pedestrian interference issue highlights this. In a rules environment pedestrians detected in the out of bounds area could be ignored. With rules the car could be taught to park just as we were "When this lines up with that, turn all the way," etc. The Tesla AP1 does this successfully. AP2's hesitant steering shows that it is trying to calculate every move, as if seeing a problem for the first time and experimenting toward a solution.

This is pure-ish speculation on my part, but is why I am very sure that Tesla's approach to self-driving cars will fail, if it hasn't already. It doesn't know what to ignore and becomes oversaturated with inputs. Self parking has worked well for over 5 years using ultrasonic sensors alone. It was when Tesla added video to the process that the car became overwhelmed.

I am fairly sure that the Tesla parking failure is rooted in the company's AI approach. It appears that Tesla eschews hard rules for the AI, instead making it freshly calculate every move. The pedestrian interference issue highlights this. In a rules environment pedestrians detected in the out of bounds area could be ignored. With rules the car could be taught to park just as we were "When this lines up with that, turn all the way," etc. The Tesla AP1 does this successfully. AP2's hesitant steering shows that it is trying to calculate every move, as if seeing a problem for the first time and experimenting toward a solution.

This is pure-ish speculation on my part, but is why I am very sure that Tesla's approach to self-driving cars will fail, if it hasn't already. It doesn't know what to ignore and becomes oversaturated with inputs. Self parking has worked well for over 5 years using ultrasonic sensors alone. It was when Tesla added video to the process that the car became overwhelmed.
Tesla is overengineering software to make it more AI driven and cut production cost without adding proven hardware assistance inputs, which all ultimately translate to higher profit margin.

Tesla’s system can’t even detect spots 99% of the time here in Colorado. I’ve gotten it to work maybe three times in the last three years.

I always thought it was one of those things they just checked off a list and forgot about. It worked once under perfect conditions in California. So it’s good enough. Move on.

Much of their software is like this. Auto wipers is another perfect example. If it never rains, you’ll be just fine.

I don’t have a problem with them wanting to approach every problem differently from others. It’s fascinating from a computer science perspective. But we’re customers, not experiments.

What good is the intellectual exercise if they never actually solve the problem? They seem to get bored and move on as soon as they can get anything to work once. I worry it’ll be much the same with FSD.

Mine will only suggest a parking spot if I specifically activate auto park mode 🤔
agree and it makes sense. wouldn't want autopark to come on every time I back up or full into a place.

I just tried auto park first time after 3 months+ of ownership. I was never comfortable letting software take over the wheel, so today after 1.2.75 OTA update, I decide to take leap of faith. All I can say is WOW! It parked at a bit higher speed than I normally would park backward, and then it adjusted itself with bunch of da-da-da-da radar sound in the background. It was a bit scary, I was ready to take over wheel and brake any time. TBH, I think this feature is more useful than Summon feature of Tesla.
My service tech took me to a parking lot and demonstrated how my car would back into a perpendicular spot. I was sure it would hit a car but my tech told me to "trust" the system. Wow! It was awesome. I have used it since and it's perfect. Also, if you get squeezed in tight just use the autopark to "unpark" works great.

"trust" the system
So, if you "trust the system" and it hits another car does Lucid, or any manufacturer, pay for the damages? :eek: ;)

BTW, I know that they won't. I just haven't had the courage to try self parking my DE.

Last edited:
So, if you "trust the system" and it hits another car does Lucid, or any manufacturer, pay for the damages? :eek: ;)

BTW, I know that they won't. I just haven't had the courage to try self parking my DE.
I finally built up the courage to try it on the weekend after almost 5 months of ownership. One moment I thought, omg this isn't going to stop and hit the car in the next spot but before I was about to panic brake the car stopped, moved forward and continued reversing. Was a little close to the line for my liking but it worked :)

Video is a nice illustration but I could parallel in that big a spot blindfolded.

My 2017 Lincoln also had the self park feature but with the Black Label wheels I was very worried it would curb rash itself in tight spots. Ill need to see if I feel any better in the Lucid!
I started with the Lexus closer, but with the software build at that time it would not identify it as an open space till we made the spot pretty big.
Lots of updates since then.

I finally built up the courage to try it on the weekend after almost 5 months of ownership. One moment I thought, omg this isn't going to stop and hit the car in the next spot but before I was about to panic brake the car stopped, moved forward and continued reversing. Was a little close to the line for my liking but it worked :)
I gave it a shot today, and I am not sure I will ever do it again. We ended up being a barely a foot away from the car in the space on the passenger side and were over the line into it's space. When Mobile Service comes next week to put on the front license plate holder, I'll ask them about it.

I gave it a shot today, and I am not sure I will ever do it again. We ended up being a barely a foot away from the car in the space on the passenger side and were over the line into it's space. When Mobile Service comes next week to put on the front license plate holder, I'll ask them about it.
I THINK it centers you between the two cars so if they aren't centered between their lines, you won't be in yours either

I THINK it centers you between the two cars so if they aren't centered between their lines, you won't be in yours either
This was going to be my thought as well. When it placed you closer to one car than the other, were you evenly spaced between them?

This was going to be my thought as well. When it placed you closer to one car than the other, were you evenly spaced between them?
No, I was parking next to a car on one side and an empty space in the other - the lines were clearly marked, and the car had identified it as a valid parking space. (I was in the passenger seat and a friend was trying it out... yes, I was sweating bullets). You got me checking to see if the space had to have a 3-dimensional object on both sides, but the manual say it must be bounded on at least one side by a 3-dimensional object.

@Dog poop has been doing some experimentation and videos with auto park. Perhaps he can comment here.

I'm surprised the camera isn't constantly popping up on its own, the way people in Mass tailgate. Especially if you live east of 128.
It does and it’s super annoying. You can exit out of the camera view and it pops right back up. I wish this was a feature you can defeat by exiting the camera view once without it turning the cameras back on.

I try to auto park as often as possible. My thoughts are I’m sharing data with Lucid, so maybe doing it regularly will help with the data collection for improving this feature and others.

With that said, I do auto park and auto unpark (if that is a word). I have found it to be good but not something I’d use when trying to park quickly. Also the I park feature is just plane not there yet.

For auto park, first sometimes the parking spots aren’t seen and there is no exact position in the lane to be to find that spot you want. Suggest closest to the side you want to park. Second, it’s not good at switching sides once you decide to switch sides after the radar has started finding spots.
Third, there are times it parks great and I have plenty or room and other times it’s so close there is no way I can get out. If the vehicle the Air is targeting to park next to is parked at an angle, the auto park will be at an angle even if it crosses parking spots.
Fourth, I’m still feeling this out, but so far I’ve found auto park in a spot with cars on both sides and it selects the vehicle on the inside as its guide to park next to. I’ve found that I’m not doing enough between to solidify this theory, but it feels like that is the case.
Fifth, it’s super close to other vehicles when doing the initial turn to a spot before it stops to go forward for straightening in the spot.

Sixth, it doesn’t backup far enough. Ever. It’s always sticking out very far with plenty of space behind the Air.

Seventh parallel parking is the best use case for this auto park feature. It always parks me pointed in a way I can get out easily but not so far out I’m concerned about being sideswiped.

Lastly, the auto un park is not useable at all. Trying to use the back out auto in Park doesn’t back you out far enough and then points you right into the next lane almost like you’re trying to park there. I can’t do unpark when pointed nose out of spot because it’s not designed that way.

I have some sample videos to take a look at, but I couldn’t upload them as they are too large of files.

Would like to see this improve but I’m guessing it’s not high on the list of fixes. Nonetheless I love this car and am excited to see features improve.

I try to auto park as often as possible. My thoughts are I’m sharing data with Lucid, so maybe doing it regularly will help with the data collection for improving this feature and others.

With that said, I do auto park and auto unpark (if that is a word). I have found it to be good but not something I’d use when trying to park quickly. Also the I park feature is just plane not there yet.

For auto park, first sometimes the parking spots aren’t seen and there is no exact position in the lane to be to find that spot you want. Suggest closest to the side you want to park. Second, it’s not good at switching sides once you decide to switch sides after the radar has started finding spots.
Third, there are times it parks great and I have plenty or room and other times it’s so close there is no way I can get out. If the vehicle the Air is targeting to park next to is parked at an angle, the auto park will be at an angle even if it crosses parking spots.
Fourth, I’m still feeling this out, but so far I’ve found auto park in a spot with cars on both sides and it selects the vehicle on the inside as its guide to park next to. I’ve found that I’m not doing enough between to solidify this theory, but it feels like that is the case.
Fifth, it’s super close to other vehicles when doing the initial turn to a spot before it stops to go forward for straightening in the spot.

Sixth, it doesn’t backup far enough. Ever. It’s always sticking out very far with plenty of space behind the Air.

Seventh parallel parking is the best use case for this auto park feature. It always parks me pointed in a way I can get out easily but not so far out I’m concerned about being sideswiped.

Lastly, the auto un park is not useable at all. Trying to use the back out auto in Park doesn’t back you out far enough and then points you right into the next lane almost like you’re trying to park there. I can’t do unpark when pointed nose out of spot because it’s not designed that way.

I have some sample videos to take a look at, but I couldn’t upload them as they are too large of files.

Would like to see this improve but I’m guessing it’s not high on the list of fixes. Nonetheless I love this car and am excited to see features improve.
I would love to see those videos. I’ll send you a DM with my email address. I’m such a chicken to experiment and feel like there are not enough demo videos.

Thanks... .you can put the videos on Vimeo.
Or if you want to narrate them, I can put them on my YouTube channel.

Back