Safety recall

Wow, that's amazing. I wonder if he can give any insight to the engineering involved and how it is compared to say the Plaid..

I'll see what he says when it's over.

When I first saw these photos I had to tell myself several times that the Plaid looked this destroyed, too, during installation, but it was returned in good order with no signs any of this had happened to it.

I'll see what he says when it's over.

When I first saw these photos I had to tell myself several times that the Plaid looked this destroyed, too, during installation, but it was returned in good order with no signs any of this had happened to it.
Rough cost and work time, if you can?

OH NOOOOO! Open abdominal surgery!
You have a strong constitution and total faith in your installer. I would need at least two drinks immediately!

What will be interesting to see is how he gets the frunk liner back in place. I read that Lucid patented (and won an award for) the process they developed to insert a compressed liner and then use heat to expand it into place. The installer was obviously able to remove it.

Rough cost and work time, if you can?

4-5 days of shop time. Total for parts and labor: $10,147. This is for dual radar antennas and two pairs of front and rear laser sensors. The laser sensors are particularly tricky, as they have to be perfectly level to work optimally, which usually requires a custom-fabricated mount.

Wow!! That's a lot of tickets! I wish you good luck!!

It's more about keeping points off my license (and insurance rates).

Living in Florida, we have to drive through Georgia to get pretty much anywhere out of state. I grew up in Georgia, but it's not a place where you want to get caught for speeding with out-of-state plates. The Highway Patrol is even-handed enough, but some of the local county bubbas like to stake out interstate overpasses with lasers and radio ahead to patrol units on the roadway. They give in-state plates a wide berth but will cite out-of-state drivers for going just a few miles over the speed limit. They won't tell you what the cost of the ticket is at the time they issue it and just tell you the court will notify you by mail of the fine. Assuming that most out-of-staters won't return to the county to contest a ticket, they levy huge fines for these tickets -- fines that would cause locals to burn down the sheriff's office. Many years ago I was cited for doing 79 mph on Interstate 75 by a Tift County deputy. When the court notice arrived in the mail, I found I had been slapped with a $750 fine for driving with the flow of traffic.

I've put laser jammers in every car I've owned since.

Last edited:
It's more about keeping points off my license (and insurance rates).

Living in Florida, we have to drive through Georgia to get pretty much anywhere out of state. I grew up in Georgia, but it's not a place where you want to get caught for speeding with out-of-state plates. The Highway Patrol is even-handed enough, but some of the local county bubbas like to stake out interstate overpasses with lasers and radio ahead to patrol units on the roadway. They give in-state plates a wide berth but will cite out-of-state drivers for going just a few miles over the speed limit. They won't tell you what the cost of the ticket is at the time they issue it and just tell you the court will notify you by mail of the fine. Assuming that most out-of-staters won't return to the county to contest a ticket, they level huge fines for these tickets -- fines that would cause locals to burn down the sheriff's office. Many years ago I was cited for doing 79 mph on Interstate 75 by a Tift County deputy. When the court notice arrived in the mail, I found I had been slapped with a $750 fine for driving with the flow of traffic.

I've put laser jammers in every car I've owned since.
Clearly worth every dollar for peace of mind on interstate travel.

So how did it go?
Car arrived! It was 11 degrees and snowy in Denver - delivery advisor was quite patient awaiting my late return home from work. I am DE #305, Performance Eureka Gold 21” wheels. I had the all weather mats waiting and still got the carpets a little dirty! The carpet color would definitely be better in SoCal.

Haven’t driven the car in daylight yet, but at night it is very, very impressive. This car handles brilliantly for a big sedan. Headlights are amazing (aside from the strange “floaters”). Regenerative braking on “high” is what I have always wished the Model S would do. More to come once I spend some time in the car.

I was told there is a 12v cigarette lighter jack in the trunk

Correct. It's under a rigid lift-out lid aft of the right rear wheel well (opposite the charge cable case behind the left rear wheel well).

Car arrived! It was 11 degrees and snowy in Denver - delivery advisor was quite patient awaiting my late return home from work. I am DE #305, Performance Eureka Gold 21” wheels. I had the all weather mats waiting and still got the carpets a little dirty! The carpet color would definitely be better in SoCal.

Haven’t driven the car in daylight yet, but at night it is very, very impressive. This car handles brilliantly for a big sedan. Headlights are amazing (aside from the strange “floaters”). Regenerative braking on “high” is what I have always wished the Model S would do. More to come once I spend some time in the car.
Congrats! Let see those pics.

The front end of our car has been put back together after the radar/laser sensors installation. I went by the shop yesterday to check it out, and I couldn't tell it had ever been taken apart. The installer said there were only two adjustment stops, and all the panel alignments were perfect.

He's now working on the rear sensors:

IMG_1004.jpg

And the left underside of the dash is open to receive the wiring for the control/display unit:

image1-8.jpg

This installer works on exotics such as McLarens and Ferraris, on high-end German cars, and drives a Porsche GT4 himself. I asked him for his impressions of the build quality of the Lucid. He said he saw little difference between this and other cars he works on, with the engineering approaches being typical of what he sees from other brands. He said that unlike some exotics which have to use fiber optic laser sensors due to highly-contoured front ends, the Lucid provides places to mount conventional laser sensors, which are more effective than fiber optic sensors.

He said the only unusual difficulty he encountered is that the wiring leads are very short in the Lucid, and some wires had to be unplugged to get at certain things in this car that he doesn't have to do with other cars.

As I posted earlier, the Lucid Service Center said the car would have to go to a Service Center to have the front lidar unit recalibrated after this install is complete, a process they said takes 2-4 hours. However, I got a call Friday from Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service. It was just a general how-are-things-going call, and I was telling Zak about this installation. He said it was his understanding that the lidar unit would recalibrate itself over a certain amount of miles. I'll dig into this a bit more when the mobile tech comes to check out the damper struts next week.

The front end of our car has been put back together after the radar/laser sensors installation. I went by the shop yesterday to check it out, and I couldn't tell it had ever been taken apart. The installer said there were only two adjustment stops, and all the panel alignments were perfect.

View attachment 947

And the left underside of the dash is open to receive the wiring for the control/display unit:

View attachment 948

This installer works on exotics such as McLarens and Ferraris, on high-end German cars, and drives a Porsche GT4 himself. I asked him for his impressions of the build quality of the Lucid. He said he saw little difference between this and other cars he works on, with the engineering approaches being typical of what he sees from other brands. He said that unlike some exotics which have to use fiber optic laser sensors due to highly-contoured front ends, the Lucid provides places to mount conventional laser sensors, which are more effective than fiber optic sensors.

He said the only unusual difficulty he encountered is that the wiring leads are very short in the Lucid, and some wires had to be unplugged to get at certain things in this car that he doesn't have to do with other cars.

As I posted earlier, the Lucid Service Center said the car would have to go to a Service Center to have the front lidar unit recalibrated after this install is complete, a process they said takes 2-4 hours. However, I got a call Friday from Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service. It was just a general how-are-things-going call, and I was telling Zak about this installation. He said it was his understanding that the lidar unit would recalibrate itself over a certain amount of miles. I'll dig into this a bit more when the mobile tech comes to check out the damper struts next week.

Amazing to see this but I think I would prefer this to be like a restaurant experience. I don't want to see the mess that goes on in the back, I just want to see the nice presentation on my plate when it comes out.

Great to get the feedback from the place.

View attachment 947

View attachment 948

I'm always afraid of rattles when work like is done for whatever reason.

Back